Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default emt national registry

can someone give me some tips on how to pass the emt national registry ive taken it twice already failed both times by missing 3 too many both times

Forum Member

Is this test pretty hard? When I took emt it was some sort of state test and not the NR.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

i guess it all depends in my state alot of our regulations are different than that of the National Registry so that class focuses on state protocol but when you go to get your state license you take the national registry test..go figure

MembersZone Subscriber

What state are you in.

Also what areas are you failing in?
    IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

I took it about 2 years ago and BARELY passed. IMO it's aimed more for someone who's just taken the class, and not someone with real life experience. I had been a first responder prior, and thought too much about what REALLY happens instead of what the test wanted. Try going in with that mindset. Also you can find prep books with sample tests, that route may help.

Good luck. The test sucks.

MembersZone Subscriber

study study study

test is difficult but you can do it. if you fail one more time, i think you will have to go back and take a refresher course in order to take it another 3 times. and if you fail again, you have to take the whole class over again.

my teacher taught us that most of the questions were from taken from pictures illustrations in your book. but I dunno. Good Luck!!

MembersZone Subscriber fieldseng2's Avatar

goto.....

www.emtb.com

Thats what I used as a study aid...passed the 1st time.

Thumbs up nremt test

the best way to pass the test is to not read into the questions and sceneros. the test is designed to challenge your competence based upon what you have learned in the course. when i took the course we used the brady book 9th addition, there is a 10th addition now and the key is to study your chapters and work book. don't cheet on the answers because you only cheet yourself from passing the test. study with other emt's using your work book and study heavy on truma and medical but focus on airway and O2 administration within these 2 areas, medical-sample and focused history, truma- mechanism of injuryand truma assesment.childbirth focus on the different types of birth and the potential problems associated with them. but remember every one starts with the ABC's-airway -breathing-circulation. if you go to the NREMT website you can look up how the test was put toghther and why. go into the test with a good outlook, eat a good meal before and get plenty of sleep or rest depending on the time of day, mine was at 9:00 am in the morning. the average score is 82. I got a 78 and in my class an ER nurse failed. the first thing that comes to mind after reading the question is usually the right answer! IF you can't get an airway you might as well go home! GOOD LUCK ON YOUR NEXT TEST !!!! PS; you can also ask for a manually scored test, may people have passed with this because the computer screwed up.

"there is no greater family outside our own than the brotherhood of firefighters"

LT Dennis

MembersZone Subscriber firefighterbeau's Avatar

What I noticed is they have alot fluff in the questions, find what they are looking for/asking exactly, then go back through the scenerio and questions to find out what answer fits. Also to go along with that they teach in CPR and EMT class the ABC's, remember ABC in that order, treat injuries in that order only. Make sure you have the terminology down, if you don't know what a word means you won't know what the heck they are talking about. Remember the numbers, breathing rates, & pulse rates etc. With that said, the workbooks that come with the text is awesome to study from, you can also order from the NREMT's a practice exam I think thats still avalible.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fieldseng2
    goto.....

www.emtb.com

Thats what I used as a study aid...passed the 1st time.

thanks for that link.

will def. help me with my test

MembersZone Subscriber

I read this thread, and decided to check my mail. I just got my NR score back. got a 71%. the best advice to give is like someone said, dont read into the ?'s to hard. Most of the questions will have multiple right answers, you just have to figure out which one is best, or in some cases what you do first. Go to a bookstore, or get online and take as many practice tests as you can. that will probably help alot.

Thumbs up Nremt Test

275fbvfd

you must be all smiles! congratulations on passing the test it is not easy. welcome to the world of EMS! remember that continuing your education is the next step to being a good EMT.

"there is no greater family outside our own than the brotherhood of firefighters"

LT Dennis

Forum Member

I live in California and i did pretty good in every subject both times except ob and peds

And who thinks i should get it manualy scored have people heard of alot of people passing this way? i missed 3 do you think the comp would mess up on 3?

Forum Member

I'm not what you would call a smart kid when it comes to taking tests. I used the orange practice book found at emtb.com mentioned earlier in this thread and I failed the first test. I then used "EMT-Basic Exam" which can be purchased at Barnes and Noble or online at kaptest.com I passed the second time with a 91%. This book also "guarantees" a passing score. Good luck to you.

Forum Member

Default NREMT Exam Advice

I came upon this thread before I started EMT school, and am I ever glad I saved the link. I found the site mentioned by pvfire424, www.nremtpractice.com especially helpful. Hopefully that thread will be of further assistance.

Regards, -pt

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's what I've suggested to a number of EMT and Medic students. Study and start doing it now. Read through the whole book, taking your time and making sure you undertand it. 2-3 weeks before the test, concentrate on areas you're not comfortable with or that you're not passing on sample tests. 24 hours before the test put it all down and relax. Any "cramming" you do is only going to hurt you. You're going to replace things in long-term memory with a little bit of short-term that you'll forget when you're in the test.

Forum Member

Took the NREMT 2 summers ago, best advise that I can give is to not read into the questions too much - take them at face value. If you read into them you 2nd guess yourself and start making mistakes. Also, never, ever change an answer - your first instinct is almost always correct.

When stuck, go back to the basics and remember your A,B,C's - Airway, Breathing and Circulation.

Bleh, I just took the new computer based test yesterday, I have absolutely no idea how I did. About the only way I can summon it up is, IT SUCKED! My pals on our dept that if I was getting hard questions then that was a good sign. Pfftt I sure hope so. In the end the test took me about 45 minutes and I was only asked around 70 questions. So I either did real good or real bad. Hopefully I'll find out soon!

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Its thinking too hard that gets you in trouble on the NR. Like before take it at face value and fall back on the basics. I used the Barrons study guide and i passed and i would recommend it, its available at amazon for $12.47: http://tinyurl.com/y2sfgm.
    FireFighter/EMT
    Rescue 1

IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

A good EMT course helps. Our instructor had 2 goals for the class. 1.) Teach excellent patient care..."It's about people" was the battle cry. 2.) Prepare us for the NREMT written test and state practicals. That was it.

Regular tests/quizzes, written in the same manner as the NREMT, were the norm. Our instructor told us that, despite this prep, we could expect to score approx. 10 percentage points less than what we were averaging in class on the NREMT written. He was right.....I wound up getting an 86 on the NREMT written (averaged around 96 in the class.) This was important because some people in the class were averaging high 70's on class exams and needed to step it up if they wanted to pass the NREMT.

There were a few questions on the exam that I thought had no business being there....they were more about choosing the best out of 4 really bad choices. I'd be a little nervous if an EMT that was working on me was considering some of the choices that were given on some questions.

Thread Information