MembersZone Subscriber

Default Rock Island Arsenal FD

THought I would share this...

Arsenal fire, police station expanding

By Janeť Jackson
    Sept. 29, 2006
    The Dispatch and Rock Island Argus

A 19,000-square-foot expansion and renovation of the Rock Island Arsenal's fire and police station will give firefighters and police officers more space.
    Local and state leaders joined Arsenal garrison manager Alan Wilson and fire chief Richard Reed at a groundbreaking for the $8 million-plus project Thursday. The 140-year-old building will be renovated to include a central fire alarm system, sprinkler system, and combined dispatch center for fire and police. The kitchen, dining and living areas, and existing training spaces also will be renovated. Vehicle bays for fire trucks and emergency response vehicles will be built, and an overhead exhaust system installed. Mr. Wilson said the work is "long overdue," and will give the staff a "work environment that allows them to prepare to do their job." The building, built in 1874, has been renovated several times. However, its size, aging utilities and current infrastructure couldn't accommodate both departments. With 46 full-time police officers and 29 full-time firefighters, Mr. Wilson said some of the staff and equipment have been moved to different buildings on the island. "The fire department really needed some changes, and they're going to get those changes." Col. Raymond Midkiff, commander of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Louisville District in Louisville, Ky., said he's looking forward to partnering with the garrison on the project. The project will be paid for with federal and taxpayer money, Mr. Wilson said. Construction is scheduled to be completed in November 2007 and officers and firefighters will be able to move in by March 2008.

Arsenal's biggest construction project in 20 years starts
    By Deirdre Cox Baker
    Quad-City Times
    Sept. 29, 2006

Twelve people grasping a dozen shovels eagerly dug in the dirt Thursday morning to officially begin the biggest construction project in 20 years on Arsenal Island.The $8 million plan is for a 19,000-square-foot addition to combine and enlarge the facility's police and fire stations."This is long overdue," Garrison Manager Alan Wilson said, noting that the original station dates to 1874. "When it's done, we'll have a state-of-the-art facility. It'll be the finest police and fire department in the Army, no, make that in the whole Department of Defense." The current building is made of limestone with a wood frame roof in a Greek Revival style like many structures on the island. There is a three-story tower that was added in 1919. Work on the new project actually will start in November, and it will be ready for occupancy in about two years, Wilson said. Renovation and construction includes vehicle bays for emergency equipment, some of which is now stored at various places on Arsenal Island. There will be a new overhead vehicle exhaust system and a central fire alarm and dispatch center. Living and training spaces will be updated, including the kitchen, sleeping quarters, physical fitness and shower areas. Beyond its work on the island, the Arsenal Fire Department participates in mutual-aid calls across the Quad-Cities, especially in Rock Island, Moline and Bettendorf. The department responds to two or three mutual-aid calls per month, Fire Chief Richard Reed said. More often, the Arsenal sends its ambulances and their crews out in emergency situations.
    Officials were smiling and upbeat in the sunny but chilly Thursday morning weather. "You couldn't ask for a better day for a groundbreaking," said Col. Raymond G. Midkiff, commander of the Louisville District of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. "Whoever is in charge of the weather needs a raise."
    Wilson presided over the shovel ceremony and joked at its conclusion, "You've got to keep digging. This is the foundation."
    Lilyogi

Forum Member

Sounds nice, how was that wreck the other day at the island? By the sounds of one of the papers they were trying to make out to be a Cali collision you used to see on Chips.

MembersZone Subscriber

i was on it.... it was one of the weirdest ones i have ever been to!! The papers don't know half of it!!!
    Lilyogi

Forum Member

and you arent sharing ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok, we got dispatched to the Rock Island Entrance... We have three entrances to the island, Rock island, Davenport and Moline... So being dispatched to the Rock Island gate we could not figure out how bad it could be... dispatch is advising before we went enroute that extrication is needed.... I arrived first in the amb. and see what looks like a car vs truck on the inside of the gate..... I find a person laying next to the fence in a ball with a cop talking to her... i went to that person and the victim was consious but confused complaining of right leg pain... I did a quick triage of the driver of the car who was trapped... major front end damage to the car.... so the engine arrived and was going to take care of him.. being the only paramedic on shift that day i went back to the victim on the ground... here is the wierd part... while examining the victim i heard the cop tell the victim that we both got hit but we are going to be ok..... I looked at him and said WHAT???? I looked at the truck and realized it was not involved in the wreck!!! The car just missed it, it was parked there as the victim was the driver. THe vicitim had been emptying the trash behind the guard shack... So here is what happened..... The car had loss control, i found out at the hospital he side swiped a van then crashed through the gate striking a concrete post snapping it off at the ground and striking the victim and the cop. the victim was thrown approx. 10-15 feet being stopped by a 8 ft chain link fence with barbwire at the top, the victims sock was found at the top!! the cop thought a bomb went off and then was picking himself up off the ground! the vicitim ended up with a open tib/fib above the ankle, everyone else just had cuts and bruises.
    The driver did not remember the crash but was A&O when we got to him. and no, alcohol was not involved. They are still investigating it so we will see what happens.
    Lilyogi

Thread Information