Forum Member

Default Smoke machine for Prevention

After 15 yrs of using our fire safety trailer at schools we've been challenged to produce MSDS sheets to a parent on the liquid smoke that is used. To make thing worse this parent is a chemist and no matter what we've give this parent they still want more info, example of the question have we done air monitoring and if so a copy of the air monitoring and the calibration data on all instruments use...

Has anyone ever been put in this type of situation? Or better yet any great haz mat chemist around to help me zing this thing.

Thanks

Jason

jturner@jeffcitymo.org

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jdturner04
    After 15 yrs of using our fire safety trailer at schools we've been challenged to produce MSDS sheets to a parent on the liquid smoke that is used. To make thing worse this parent is a chemist and no matter what we've give this parent they still want more info, example of the question have we done air monitoring and if so a copy of the air monitoring and the calibration data on all instruments use...

Has anyone ever been put in this type of situation? Or better yet any great haz mat chemist around to help me zing this thing.Thanks

Jason

jturner@jeffcitymo.org

Not as such, but after sending a "fire safety home checklist", I had a parent send it back with the words "I don't understand the meaning of this"...

The "parent" was a computer software engineer... I guess I should have done one of the checklists in binary code, as she couldn't figure out plain simple English....

If this parent has so many questions and is unsatisfied with the data given, may I suggest that his/her child not be allowed to participate in the event, or better yet... have this person do the air monitoring and calibartion at his/her own expense.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I would think simply contacting the manufacturer of the liquid would provide all the information you (or they) need.

As for the air monitoring, same thing. Calibrate your meter as directed by the manufacturer's instructions, and sample the air.

Do I think this parent is a little over the top? You bet. But not that big a deal to provide the answers.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

product protected under what the company said was trade secrets.......So a guess that every DJ in the country should at least have a four gas monitor and do air monitoring at every high school dance and xmas party......

MembersZone Subscriber

MSDS is refused under trade secrets?

Forum Member

If a company told me that, I'd find a new liquid to use in the fog machine.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Default Check here

This link has some information that may be helpful

http://www.ilpi.com/msds/ref/tradesecret.html
    Stupid People.......Providing Job Security to Public Safety Professionals for ........forever

Forum Member

2 things...

Number one we send home a permission slip for a student to participate. If they have asthma (or a chemist parent with questions) they can choose to deny their child's participation.

Number two... trade secret?!!? Time to find a new vendor. Our smoke fluid ships with an MSDS attached to the carton without us even asking. Novel concept something labeled as it is being shipped?

If this chemist parent is such an expert and does not believe anything you provide perhaps he would be willing to lend his expertise to do the testing and sampling himself... you know for the good of his and other's children. Chances are he would rather complain.

Thread Information