MembersZone Subscriber

Default Miami-Dade Fire/Rescue

Im From maryland with a possible intrest in testing for Miami-DadeCounty Fire-Rescue. I was wondering if Maryland Fire Rescue Institute Certificates/Courses help down there or would I have to goto a Flordia College in order to be thought of as taking the test?

MembersZone Subscriber

ya need fire 1 and 2. Plus be a resident of miami (if you want to work for city of miami) but if for miami dade county yer gonna need paramedic (state of florida certified). All of south florida (pretty much) you need your medic to be hired. ALot of cities/counties are hiring continuously just need to look at the city/county websites (eg. city of ft. lauderdale). They will show you what the prereq's are for employment.

MembersZone Subscriber

I understand that, Im wondering if MFRI Certs would help in the Cause of Hiring or not

MembersZone Subscriber

have to be state of florida issued certs...if you have fire one and two you can go up to the state fire academy in ocala fl. and take a 4 day recert class for florida. If not you'll have to pay to go to an academy in the area (coral springs, broward fire, palm beach cc fire academy)

MembersZone Subscriber

So if you have Md. Fire I and II you can take a recert class for florida and get florida certs. I thought it was a much more complicated process than that, including transcripts, wrriten tests and praticals.

Forum Member

you can test for miami dade without any certs, but they help alot. I believe there next test is in January and they may have a Broward/Miami-Dade county residency requirement. Im not sure if its at the time of application or after probation.

http://www.miamidade.gov/mdfr/
    www.miami-dadefirerescue.com

MembersZone Subscriber

You need to send the State Fire Marshal's Office division of training and standards copies of your traning records, along with an application to challenge the State of Florida Firefighter certification exam. If they feel your training is comparable to that of the State of Florida's, you will be allowed to take the next Florida Firefighter Minimum standards exam (both written & practical). If you pass, you will receive your Minimum Standards certificate to be employed as a firefighter in Florida (Firefighter I & II). From what I hear though, Florida's Firefighter I certification for volunteers is equivelant to Maryland's Firefighter I & II. Florida is one of the toughest states to transfer certifications into. So, you may have to go through a Florida academy in order to take the state exam and get your certification.

I would recommend testing with Miami-Dade County as they are one of the few agencies that does not require any certifications (although as stated they will help, especially paramedic). Most other departments will already require your Minimum Standards cert, and EMT at least if not Paramedic.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Mdfr

I took the written/Video test in aug. 2005 still waiting on word for orientation there were 6000 applicants I have a friend that told me they would work off this list for 2 to 4 years he is currently employed by MDFR but i wish you the best of luck and oh yeah look at going pro-board with your certs they will take those

Thread Information