Forum Member

Default An honest politician????

A politician who might be running his campaign honest:
    ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Oct 3, 7:17 AM EDT

Clown is running for mayor of Alameda

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) -- A real clown is running for mayor of Alameda, and even his sister won't vote for him.

Kenneth Kahn, 41, a professional joker known as "Kenny the Clown," admits he's running a long-shot campaign for City Hall's top spot. Kahn has not previously run for an elected position and has never sat on a public board.

"People ask me, 'Do we really want to elect a clown for mayor of the city?'" he said. "I say, 'That's an excellent question.'"

Kahn's mother, Barbara, said her son doesn't have a chance, and Sylvia Kahn, a teacher, said her brother's candidacy is a "mockery of our system."

"I don't think it makes any sense, because, to me, running for mayor is not where you start as far as community involvement goes," she said.

In November, the funnyman who graduated from the University of California at Berkeley, faces incumbent Beverly Johnson and City Councilman Doug deHaan.

2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.

Vote for the Bozo

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I suppose the real question here is: Could he do any worse than any of the (ahem) "professionals"? Bet he got the idea from the new Robin Williams movie, eh?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

If the dude wins that town is screwed. Want to be served well? Elect a bartender, not a comedian.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

In his book,"Flight of the Minotaur",Stephen Coonts has a character render a very wise opinion of politicians,and it's in a bathroom when he says it.
    "Politicians.If you rendered the lot of them,you wouldn't find a thimbleful of scruples."
    Remember when politicians served one or two terms in office,and then they let someone else win the elction and went back to their district to live under the laws that they helped to enact?
    Me neither.

Forum Member

Talking clowns

I thought that most of the politicians today were clowns anyway. Actually I think it might be good if we elected some people like Robin Willimas or George Carlin to office just to shake things up a little.

Forum Member

No matter what the communtiy...

it's the same circus, different town, different clowns!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson
    In his book,"Flight of the Minotaur",Stephen Coonts has a character render a very wise opinion of politicians,and it's in a bathroom when he says it.
    "Politicians.If you rendered the lot of them,you wouldn't find a thimbleful of scruples."
    Remember when politicians served one or two terms in office,and then they let someone else win the elction and went back to their district to live under the laws that they helped to enact?
    Me neither.
    THAT NEVER HAPPANED and has ALWAYS HAPPANED. In the days of the Founding Fathers some of them where at it for life, the Adams, Jefferson, Hamilton; others were in and out and in and out, such as Mason, Washington, and Franklin; and others were just flashes in the pan who came, said their peace, and went home. All of those folks still exist today. Anyone, published writer or layman on the street, that thinks that they can broad brush paint every politician and public servant with the same color is sadly mistaken. Today we have folks with the highest and lowest of morals, and scruples, we have folks that see the high position as their right, and others see it as their duty and a privilege to have the opportunity to contribute.
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    THAT NEVER HAPPANED and has ALWAYS HAPPANED. In the days of the Founding Fathers some of them where at it for life, the Adams, Jefferson, Hamilton; others were in and out and in and out, such as Mason, Washington, and Franklin; and others were just flashes in the pan who came, said their peace, and went home. All of those folks still exist today. Anyone, published writer or layman on the street, that thinks that they can broad brush paint every politician and public servant with the same color is sadly mistaken. Today we have folks with the highest and lowest of morals, and scruples, we have folks that see the high position as their right, and others see it as their duty and a privilege to have the opportunity to contribute.

It seems to me that most politicians spend the time leading up to the election telling us what they will do for us once they are elected, and then for the duration of their term of office they tell us why they couldn't do what they said they would.
    I guess that there are some honest politicians out there as there must also be some honest used car salesmen and lawyers, but they are hard to find.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by protomkv
    It seems to me that most politicians spend the time leading up to the election telling us what they will do for us once they are elected, and then for the duration of their term of office they tell us why they couldn't do what they said they would.
    I guess that there are some honest politicians out there as there must also be some honest used car salesmen and lawyers, but they are hard to find.
    You love that broad brush huh?
    A politician is telling you what he will vote in favor of once elected during the campaign season. He can't tell you what he will accomplish because around half the other guys are out there telling their constituents that they will be voting against what the first guy said he would be voting for, and visa versa. It is the system that the founding fathers put in place which keeps things in relative balance.
    -Big Russ

MembersZone Subscriber

If I tell you that I will work hard on your behalf as your elected official, you can believe it and I say that with all honesty.
    If I tell you that I will get you that tax credit that you are looking for, then it is safe to say that I am just trolling for votes. When you are one vote out of 453, anything can happen.
    And that's the truth!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

I hate when these threads have an eye catching title just to get you to read it.

Like FREE BEER or AN HONEST POITICIAN, it's just not fair.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

TOO FUNNY

Please Don't Vote For Me. Please. Really

BLAINE, Minn. -- How often is it you hear a politician urging people not to vote for him?

That's exactly what's going on in a Minneapolis-St. Paul suburb, where Paul Herold no longer wants the City Council seat for which he's running.

After entering the primary, Herold got a new job that he said doesn't leave time for him to be on the council. But he missed the cutoff for pulling his name from the ballot.

Despite his best efforts not to get votes, he ran second in a three-way primary race. So, like it or not, he's on next month's ballot against the incumbent, Katherine Kolb.

"I tried my best not to get any votes," he said.

"Here are the only ways I can get off the ballot: A. I'd have to die; B. I'd have to move out of the district," he said.

"Unfortunately, once he's on the ballot, there's nothing we can do," Blaine City Clerk Jane Cross told the St. Paul Pioneer Press.

Blaine increased its filing fee to $50 a few years ago, in part to make sure candidates running for office understood it was a serious responsibility, Cross told the newspaper.

Herold is now so desperate not to get elected he's offering to drive friends and neighbors to the polls to vote for his opponent.

Should he win, Herold could refuse to serve. That would force a $30,000 special election he's hoping to avoid.

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting Systems, Inc. The Associated Press contributed to this report
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

It's sounds like a three ring circus up there.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

One thing that frosts me about some politicians is there are ones that will say"Elect me and I'll implement my plan to save us all from ourselves"but they never explain what that great plan is unless you elect them.Kinda like what Dennis was kvetching about.
    Could it be that they have such a great plan,they don't want the sitting politician stealing it and using it before the election or that they don't have a f888ing clue what to do next?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson
    One thing that frosts me about some politicians is there are ones that will say"Elect me and I'll implement my plan to save us all from ourselves"but they never explain what that great plan is unless you elect them.Kinda like what Dennis was kvetching about.
    Could it be that they have such a great plan,they don't want the sitting politician stealing it and using it before the election or that they don't have a f888ing clue what to do next?
    The problem is you are in Memphis and the political inbreding of the Ford family has you running in circles.
    -Big Russ

Thread Information