MembersZone Subscriber

Default Horizontal Ventilation: When?

Ok, this may sound like a pretty vague question but I am just looking to see how FD's handle this situation.

OV (Outside Vent)
    -----------------
    (1) From what I have learned is that the OV is to work opposite that of the engine company. Will take the glass if and only if his/her boss gives the OK or if he/she actually sees/hears water slamming into the glass

(2) If you happen to come across a victim before at the window or you are VES'ing then VENT the window get in, try to close door and perform rescue/search. I am assuming you would want to re-open the door to facilitate ventilation unless conditions dictate not to.

Inside Search Team
    -------------------
    I would imagine that no glass should be taken unless we know that water is supplied and ready to advance on the fire.

What if you are above the fire with a decent smoke condition (no fire on the floor above). Would you take those windows? Or would you wait for a line to move up to that floor?

I know there are no cookie cutter answers to this. I am just looking for some general opinions on how you guys go about or would go about situations like these.

Thanks, and be safe!!

Forum Member

If you are on the floor above and theres no fire....you can always just open the windows normally and knock out the screen. You are venting the area and you can maintain the integrity of the window in the event something wrong happens on the fire floor such as the engine not being able to make the seat for some odd reason and autoexposure being a problem. You can take the windows if the smoke/heat is that bad before the line.....a good amount of the soup is going to be up there anyway and expecially once the engine opens the line the more you have vented the better it will be for you....besides, your main objective on the floor above it to get to anyone trapped directly above the fire....and locate any extension....

As far as hearing water hit the glass...you will hear it hit everything, not just the glass...it will thump the walls and ceilings....and the hiss of steam will be there.

Be sure that you KNOW a 2d line can and is going to be stretched in the event you need one. ALSO, make sure that the first line is stretched and operating on the fire floor before you even think of going to the floor above.

Good Luck and Stay safe....
    IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

This is a good topic.

I have a video that I show my students of what happens when a OV takes a window before the attack line is in position and operating.
    The attack line has just been stretched and is being charged at the front door that was just opened. The OV takes a window on the B side right at the A corner and the rush of air caused a flashover that caught the attack team by surprise. The flames roar over their heads and they had not bled the line nor checked the stream.

Your VES question I can't add too much more. Depending on the conditions, we often leave the door shut. This also depends on fire conditions and location of fire.

Thread Information