Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Turbodraft

Default Turbodraft

Does anyone out there have the Turbodraft, and how does it work out for you? We are thinking about getting one for areas too far from the pumper to draft from and get a usable water supply

Thanks and be safe.

Forum Member

Default Turbodraft

That item is made by a local company. We had tentatively scheduled a demo, but never quite made the connection. We too, have an area where we thought that it might be useful. The area is quite remote and requires descending a steep hill with consderable underbrush. It also requires three hard sleeves. We did learn that it is quite heavy (something on the order of 75 lbs.), so we never pursued it.

I did learn that Prince William Co., Va. had one or more. I contacted a Lieutenant there that I been in a class at the NFA with. She told me that yes, they do have one. Here's her response to me:

"Sorry to tell you this, but the Turbo-Draft did not receive high marks here in PW. I've been advised by 2 fire personnel that worked at station 18 in Dale City that the applicance was very heavy and cumbersome to use. It was used in some training drills, but was determined to be too difficult to put in service and has not been carried on a piece of apparatus. It sounds that if your company is still interested in the device that it would be best to see if the seller will provide one on loan so you can test it out before buying."

The idea of them is great and in the right setting, it might be a good item. As the Lieutenant suggests though, I'd certainly want to try one before buying it.

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!

also do a search .............
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Default Perijet

FWDbuff reminds me that it's similar to what we used on Navy ships for dewatering flooded spaces. They go back to WWII or earlier. My recollection is that it was called a perijet. The ones commonly used on ships were smaller and lighter than the Turbojet being marketed today. They had a 1-1/2" inlet and a 2-1/2" outlet. One nice thing about them was that you didn't run all the junk in a compartment through the pump.

I also remember as a rookie doing a training exercise where we actually made something like it up. We used a 2-1/2" fog nozzle with handles set on narrow fog. We put it into the end of a hard sleeve and secured it to the handles of the hard sleeve. We put the whole thing into a pond and tied it off somehow or the other, then supplied the 2-1/2 with water. It picked up somewhere around twice what we supplied it. Interesting exercise, not very practical, but a good lesson in physics. Turbojets and perijets use the same principle.

MembersZone Subscriber

We demo'd a turbodraft a couple of years ago and were not impressed with the performance. It is a large and heavy and it did not flow what we expected it too. We opted instead for two Hale floating pumps that seperate into two pieces. We let the pumps flow into a dump tank and draft from it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1
    also do a search .............

Maybe this will help you

http://forums.firehouse.com/search.php?searchid=186786

35 some existing threads that discuss turbodraft. Expensive for what it is, perhaps need some competition.

Operating Manual on Turbodraft web site gives the following:

Net Weight of Unit: 52 lbs. 2-1/2" inlet X 5" discharge.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AC1503
    Operating Manual on Turbodraft web site gives the following:

Net Weight of Unit: 52 lbs. 2-1/2" inlet X 5" discharge.
    Does it give the physical dimensions?

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11
    I also remember as a rookie doing a training exercise where we actually made something like it up. We used a 2-1/2" fog nozzle with handles set on narrow fog. We put it into the end of a hard sleeve and secured it to the handles of the hard sleeve. We put the whole thing into a pond and tied it off somehow or the other, then supplied the 2-1/2 with water. It picked up somewhere around twice what we supplied it. Interesting exercise, not very practical, but a good lesson in physics. Turbojets and perijets use the same principle.
    They HAD fog nozzles back then???? And when you charged the deuce and a a half, how many shovel loads of coal did you have to throw into the firebox?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

The DCFD has PeriJet Siphons and Peripheral Jet Siphons, two different things. Supposedly used for dewatering, I don't know if anyone still carries them except the fireboat. The PeriJet is pumped at 120psi & 200 gpm, the Peripheral Jet is pumped at 120psi & 420 gpm. I don't know how much water they move. They're not as big as the Turbodraft, though the Peripheral jet is almost as big. Neither has a screened intake box like the TD.

Forum Member

The truck water tank must be full to start the turbodraft. The pump operator must also be on his toes or he will run out of tank water before getting the draft going. We tested one and if you are not willing to do extensive training with it, I think it would be a waste on money. We have had success with a portable Darley pump, but they sure did burn up a tank of gas in a hurry.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff
    They HAD fog nozzles back then???? And when you charged the deuce and a a half, how many shovel loads of coal did you have to throw into the firebox?
    That would depend upon whether you were burning Anthracite (hard coal) or Bituminous (soft coal). With hard coal you had to have a wider firebox which took more coal, but once there and burning, it lasted much longer.

An example that you've seen in steam locomotive history books would be the Reading Railroad's locomotives with those super wide Wooten fireboxes. They were designed around hard coal. They were so wide that the cab had to be ahead of the firebox (Camelbacks) or behind it. Locomotives that burned soft coal had smaller fireboxes and the cab actually straddled it.

What were the names of the horses?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff
    What were the names of the horses?
    Randy and ???

Forum Member

Thumbs up Turbodraft

We have 5 turbodrafts and yes the are heavy but with practice and training they work fine we used them in a 1 mile ldh hose lay and got 703 gpm with turbodraft about 75 ft away and a 15 ft lift

Forum Member

I had the opportunity to train on one.

The setup was:
    1,500 GPM pumper
    100' 2.5" to the Turbo Draft
    100' of 4" to the ball intake valve
    about 10' of elevation from water source to the pump

The first thing we found was;
    1. DO NOT allow the pressure on the siphon line to fall below 175.
    2. DO NOT exceed the flow capacity of the setup, which was just under 400 GPM. The instant you exceed this flow, the siphon line looses pressure, which causes the intake line to loose pressure and collapse, thus destroying your water flow.

We were trying to use it for supply to the fill pumper in a water shuttle.
    I found that if you use your truck's booster tank, you supplement the flow to the fill line. When the tanker is full, shut the fill line and go back to the tank fill. The is allowed us to fill tankers at a faster rate than the TurboDraft could supply. But as soon as the tanker was full, you best switch back to tank fill and get ready for the next unit.

The NFPA required check valve in the tank-to-pump line kept excess pressure from the intake from going into the tank, and if we out-flow the TurboDraft, the check valve would kick open to prevent cavitation.

I've never used one, and don't plan to use one, but here is a link.

http://www.turbodraft.com/

Forum Member

Cool turbo draft

we had one for about 6weeks they are way to heavy and a joke to use but on the other hand they do work if u have atleast a half tank of water. If they would make the thing lighter we'd buy another one for the pumper

Forum Member

we have one and it is not to bad to operate. We have a lot of river frontage and it has come in handy for warehouse fires. One problem is that someone has to drag it out into the river, but it provides an endless water supply. It is a lot better than running tankers nonstop for 12 hours!

Thread Information