Rabble rouser

Question Recruits in the Union?

I have a question that has been circulating around several departments that I have worked for.

Should recruits (in the academy) be offered a chance to join the union?
    If no, when?
    If yes, when (beginning, middle, end of academy)?

Thanks...
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Forum Member

While I am not in/on a union. I would think recruits would need to wait until they are on? Meaning, they have been assigned. And maybe even through their probation period?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Kobersteen
    I have a question that has been circulating around several departments that I have worked for.

If no, when?

Thanks...
    I'm a little confused...once you take your oath of office you are a member of the department and join the union (although you are on probation for a year and don't enjoy the same rights and job securty as a member off probation)

You don't join the union until after your probie school?

I don't remember when the Union offical came to us but I recall it was in the first week.

FTM-PTB

the 4-1-4

We take the oath, and are sworn into the Local during our first day of recruit school, and we all pay dues right away.
    We also had an extensive presentation from a member of our E-board to explain the Local, the IAFF, grievance policies, member rights and responsibilities, and answers to any questions we had.
    Last edited by jasper45; 10-06-2006 at 12:29 PM.

Forum Member

Almost ditto to Brothers Jasper and FFFred.

New Hires are voted into the Local at our monthly union meeting.

They have a 1 year probationary period, as as FFFred stated, they don't have the same protections and such until they reach their 1st anniversary of their date of hire. In my 25 years, we have only lost 2 firefighters during their probie year. One lost his driver's license ( job requirement) due to DWI and didn't tell anyone, the other took a short leave of absence for what he said was a "family problem" back in Jamaica, then requested a year, which was turned down. He never returned to duty.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 10-07-2006 at 12:34 AM. Reason: spelling error.. man, I hate that!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

K, across the river, L36 comes in during the first week, but as mentioned, you don't have much protection. And, of course, while you pay the same dues as everyone, no one listens to new guys.

Of course, VA is right-to-work.

Forum Member

Getting a paycheck? You have the right to be represented by the bargaining unit. Period.

(Now.....You also have the right to a probationary period in the union as well.....And all the accompanying requirements such as keeping thy yap shut, etc.....)
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

We used to wait until ours were off probation. We've since reduced that and now they can join upon successful completion of the academy. We do also meet with them in the academy to tell them about our Local and when and how to join.

We are not recognized and in a right to work state here.
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

Rabble rouser

Okay, a couple of you have said something along the lines of 'reduced protection'. How so?
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Forum Member

During the first year, you're on probation with the city, and can be fired at will. There's not much the Union can do for you. Don't know how it works in VA.

Forum Member

Our probationary firefighters also become union members. They should be paying dues to support the contract that they are benefitting from. Here in Illinois, probationary firefighters can get fired within the first year and basically do not have recourse. Cities aren't stupid. They spent a lot of money to get this person hired. There is always a good reason if a probie gets canned. The Union will fight it if this not the case. It is common practice for probationary members to join the local in this area. The city begins payroll dues deduction immediately, unless the probationary firefighter decides to go fair share. That dosent happen around here.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

On date of hire our recruits draw for seniority and are welcomed into the union. Officially they are sworn in at the first union meeting they attend
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SBrooks
    During the first year, you're on probation with the city, and can be fired at will. There's not much the Union can do for you. Don't know how it works in VA.

Same here. You start paying dues the day after your 1 year hire date. Don't recall anyone being let go inside thier year. City has put too much money in them.

L495

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool How my Departments do it.....

Both of my Departments views are that once you are off probation, then you are no longer an At-will employee and are welcomed into the Union.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

In Canada any union local which accepts union dues from an employee has a "duty of fair representation"

Some Guy

Are rookies also join the union. *but* as mentioned here you are an at will employee your 1st year. We are members of the www.njfmba.org
    This space for rent

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down Dayton

In Dayton, OH (Local 136) you don't join the Union until completing the academy and a 6-month probation. I'm not sure if it's always been that way or not, but it is currently.

www.iaff136.org

MembersZone Subscriber

What's the current process for Fairfax County? Are recruits allowed membership while in the academy? Or, are they required to wait until assignment or post-probation?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by HenryChan
    What's the current process for Fairfax County? Are recruits allowed membership while in the academy? Or, are they required to wait until assignment or post-probation?
    Recruits are permitted to join the Union while in the Academy.

Protective Economist

Quote Originally Posted by Kobersteen

If no, when?

Thanks...
    While not an exact comparison, my PD allows recruits to join the union after they are sworn in as police officers. We have 6 months prior to swearing in and another month in the academy after that. However, the contract provides little protection to probationary officers. Probation lasts 12 months from swear in (not hire) date.

Because we are covered by collective bargaining, officers that do not join the union are asseessed "fair share" charges for the contract.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff
    Getting a paycheck? You have the right to be represented by the bargaining unit. Period.
    Couldn't have said it better.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Truckie

In St. paul, the recruits are not in the union as a sworn member, but the union will still represent them as if they where fair-share.
    On the last week, the recruits get their applications and sign up, then at the next meeting after the academy, they are sworn in and recieve all voting and representation privilages.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber

Default recruits

In Ohio, in accordance with the Ohio Revised Code - we can not start collecting union dues until the member has completed 60 days of employment {ORC Section 4117.09 (C)}. They are "at will" employees until they complete 12 months of probation. None the less, from day one they otherwise enjoy the benefits of the contract other than job protection.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum
    In St. paul, the recruits are not in the union as a sworn member, but the union will still represent them as if they where fair-share.
    On the last week, the recruits get their applications and sign up, then at the next meeting after the academy, they are sworn in and recieve all voting and representation privilages.
    Didn't you guys have a lot of trouble with that "fairshare" thing?

Thread Information