Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Armed teachers? Maybe ... maybe not...

Teachers with sidearms? An interesting debate nontheless.

Legislator suggests arming teachers
    Proposal spurred by recent school shootings

In the aftermath of recent school shootings, a state representative has proposed giving principals and teachers the right to arm themselves with handguns.
    Frank Lasee (R-Green Bay) announced Wednesday that he plans to introduce legislation early next year that would give teachers and other school personnel the option of carrying concealed weapons. The action was largely prompted by the school shootings in Colorado, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, where Weston Schools principal was killed last week.

Lasee's proposal received a cool response by Milwaukee Public Schools, but the legislator stressed the measure would hinge on staff members undergoing strict training.
    "Sometimes when people are intent on harming others, the only reasonable response you could have is to confront them with firepower to stop them," said Lasee, who believes that school personnel trained in handling weapons could better combat violent intruders or students.

According to Lasee, the method has been successful in Israel and Thailand, where schools were once heavily targeted by terrorists.
    But combating gun violence with more guns doesn't make sense to several MPS officials.
    "Statistically, the safest place for a child to be is in school," said Pete Pochowski, director of school safety for MPS. "We have problems in our schools, but not to the point where we need to arm our teachers and principals."
    Furthermore, he added, children in countries such as Israel and Thailand are far more vulnerable to daily violence than students in America.
    "In the country we live in, we have a lot of freedom," Pochowski said, "and we have to expose ourselves to some danger to keep that."
    Lena Crawford, the acting assistant principal at Marshall High School, said she would rather see resources go toward putting police officers or metal detectors in every school.
    Lasee, who owns several guns himself, said he expected controversy. He acknowledged that he would have to work around a federal law that bans guns on school grounds.
    Even if the measure fails this time, Lasee said, support could build in the future if school violence continues.

Forum Member

Default uniforms

I heard about this on the radio yesterday. It will go over about as well as the idea of forcing all public school kids to wear specific uniforms to school in lieu of whatever. I would have to say that things are out of control in schools, maybe not everywhere. Maybe we should force the parents to go to school and the kids to earn the living.

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't think it is a good idea for guns to be in the hands of teachers at all. My idea is put a couple of armed guards in the school (after pysch evaluation) every day. come on who wouldn't want that job. what did you do today hunny. just walked around a school for a few hours, ooohh we had some trouble today one of the kids got in a accident and i had to write a report on it. rough day at work huh? i would do it.

but that would cost a lot of money for the schools. especialy schools like the little amish one. this is a good debate.
    J

funny you should mention this.

Not exactly the same topic, but nonetheless, my art teacher was just telling me today how he was a bodyguard for a wealthy family in texas and flew all over the world carrying a 9mm underneath his coat.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

SIMPLE SOLUTION. SCHOOL RESOURCE OFFICERS. Why put a rent a cop in a school, when you can put a real HIGHLY trained LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER THERE INSTEAD.

LETS PUT A L.E.O. IN EVERY SCHOOL IN THE NATION. IT WILL WORK!!!
    FOR HE WHO SERVES HIS FELLOWS IS OF ALL HIS FELLOWS GREATEST

IACOJ

On the flatest land around! (In central Il.)

Quote Originally Posted by redneckemt
    SIMPLE SOLUTION. SCHOOL RESOURCE OFFICERS. Why put a rent a cop in a school, when you can put a real HIGHLY trained LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER THERE INSTEAD.

We have one in our high school, but as far as the Jr. high school and two grade schools, they go unprotected as faw as law enforcement go's. But in those schools, to gain access you must go through the office and each class has an exit to the outside. (Yes, I know going through the office doesn't do much when you have Mr. Crazy coming to town)

MembersZone Subscriber

We had a cop in our school but they had to cut spending. see in bigger town this is no problem. in a small town that is 1 of 2 officers that is unable to respond to anything else.
    J

I have a better solution...And it costs less money.

How about parents actually being parents and being responsible for their children and not trying to be their best friends?

Oh what I am I soing thinking that there should be some individual responsibility for people. Silly me.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

i feel like i'd get shot for just goofing off like the teacher will snap or something.

Forum Member

I agree to a point both ways here...

Sharkie's right, but so is itsmy6, to a point.

There wouldn't be a problem if bad parents would just suck it up. It's both awesome and terrible at how simple it is when you boil this whole issue right down to that. Unfortunately, there is a problem. That's BS but its the truth.

I believe that guns dont kill people, people kill people. But people cant kill people with guns they don't have, savvy? But the issue here is, these teachers just wanna teach and support their families and in some places its not safe for them to go to work. I mean WTF?!

Everybody's got the right to defend themselves, but do teachers have the right to have firearms at work? Maaaaybeeee... if they're trained in the use of those firearms... and are taught how to deal with situations that call for the use of said firearms...

But what about 50 year old Mrs. Fracken, who's retiring next year...? We as emergency personnel can understand how govt. regs can pull the rug out from underneath people.

So, I think the best case scenario is having these L.E.O's that redneck EMT was talking about. BUT, would school districts even poney up the dough...?

Forum Member

We have them here in Memphis.It's not doing too much.My brother in law is a high school teacher and was in a recent gang fight up to his neck.He says he was lucky he didn't get shanked.
    Memphis City Schools is also hiring parents to be hall monitors.I think the first ones hired should be the ones that say"Not my kid.He knows better than to be in a gang." so they can see what Little Johnny really does during his day at school.
    I moved to Paducah,Ky right after the shootings at Heath Middle School.They still don't have cops in schools but have a deputy or city officer around at arrival and dismissal times and there was little to no trouble from the kids.
    But then,Paducah's different than Memphis.Up there,the police enforced traffic laws like school speed limits and came to talk to you if you looked like you were up to something hinky.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Itsmy6
    i feel like i'd get shot for just goofing off like the teacher will snap or something.
    People that say we shouldn't have firearms because someone might go off their knot and shoot up the cafeteria get these questions from me:
    Are YOU so mentally unbalanced as to shoot the girl at the checkout lane at Kroger for making a mistake on ringing up your order?
    If you are,why are you not getting treatment for your condition,instead of presuming to tell others how to live?
    If you are NOT that unbalanced,what qualifies you to imply that I ?

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie
    I have a better solution...And it costs less money.

How about parents actually being parents and being responsible for their children and not trying to be their best friends?

Oh what I am I soing thinking that there should be some individual responsibility for people. Silly me.
    Amen. This would solve alot of problems with kids these days.
    Tom Warshaw
    Station 13 (Bethel)
    Sumter Fire Department

"Scientists believe that the world is composed mainly of hydrogen because in their opinion, it is the most abundant element. I however, feel the earth is composed mainly of stupidity, because it is more abundant than hydrogen." - Frank Zappa

September 11, 2001. We Must Never Forget.

In memory of Thomas Sabella, L-13, FDNY

All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my department or any organization I may belong to.

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45
    Teachers with sidearms? An interesting debate nontheless.

It's not an interesting debate when it's not even worth discussing because it frankly is a ridiculous notion. First, teachers aren't cops. You want someone to be armed in school, put a cop in the school. 2nd, a teacher's job is hard enough trying to get kids to learn so they can pass those pointless standardized tests that Bush wants everyone to take with his little No Child Left Behind initiative. On top of educating America's youth, you're going to give a teacher the immense added responsibility of handling a loaded weapon in a crisis situation. I can't believe the idiot who presented the bill is getting any airtime, because this is the most retarded thing I have ever heard.
    New York State EMT-B

Quote Originally Posted by BruenRescue2003
    I can't believe the idiot who presented the bill is getting any airtime, because this is the most retarded thing I have ever heard.
    Like the moron that wanted to introduce legislation to take DOT placards off of hazmat shipments.
    Tom Warshaw
    Station 13 (Bethel)
    Sumter Fire Department

"Scientists believe that the world is composed mainly of hydrogen because in their opinion, it is the most abundant element. I however, feel the earth is composed mainly of stupidity, because it is more abundant than hydrogen." - Frank Zappa

September 11, 2001. We Must Never Forget.

In memory of Thomas Sabella, L-13, FDNY

All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my department or any organization I may belong to.

No it won't. Many LEO's that work in schools (espically the worst one's) get disgruntled very quickly. Being a cop in a school is not the same as being a cop on the street. Something that everyone needs to remember is no matter what you do, no matter the security you put in place, a single determined person who has nothing to loose will find a way. You can't defend against everything.

I can't believe the idiot who presented the bill is getting any airtime, because this is the most retarded thing I have ever heard.
    Just because you hate President Bush, or Republicans, or whatever your particular issue with life is, keep an open mind. Maybe if you stayed informed, or watched some news, or read more about this particular legislators motive, you wouldnít be calling him retarded. In fact, the most retarded thing I have heard recently, is you belittling mentally challenged people; be careful who you insult, or what names you use, you never know who will be insulted. I would also encourage you to look at where this legislator is from.
    His only goal is to stir debate to prompt an increase in school security, as well as safety. So far he has done more for that than anyone else has. Maybe something will get done, remember, no one wanted pilots armed, either.

To imply that teachers arenít able to handle the additional responsibility, or arenít capable is an insult to teachers. I also know several teachers who have served in the military, and as a result are quite familiar with weapons, and more capable with them than some police officers.
    Now that I think of it, the only retarded idea, is your post.

"According to Lasee, the method has been successful in Israel and Thailand, where schools were once heavily targeted by terrorists."

But we're condemning it as ridiculous out of hand.

Otay!

There are already cops in several schools. In the high school my kid would go to if I was lobotomized, the cops let a man walk through campus until he located and raped a student in the bathroom. He did encounter one of the wonderful PD. She told him to go to the office and went about the important business of walking around.

I'd rather flush my tax dollars down the toilet than give them to the local ISD.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jlcooke3
    No it won't. Many LEO's that work in schools (espically the worst one's) get disgruntled very quickly. Being a cop in a school is not the same as being a cop on the street. Something that everyone needs to remember is no matter what you do, no matter the security you put in place, a single determined person who has nothing to loose will find a way. You can't defend against everything.

Most of them LOVE IT. They find it the most rewarding job in Law Enforcement.

And yes I know it will not prevent all school shootings. The first Officer on scene at Columbine was that schools SRO. Now what would have happened had he been there when it started? Or if he had been better armed? Now it might not be 100% effective, but it's better than putting Rent a Cops in the school
    FOR HE WHO SERVES HIS FELLOWS IS OF ALL HIS FELLOWS GREATEST

IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyThirteen
    Amen. This would solve alot of problems with kids these days.
    Doesnt seem to be the kids shooting up the schools as of late.
    Warm Regards,
    Shawn Stoner
    EMT-B

Thread Information