Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EFD840
    I watched it twice too, Cap.

This show has some FANTASTIC writers.

The scene at the end with Adama getting carried around like a winning football coach and Tigh being completely ignored was very powerful.
    Not just Tigh...Little Adama (who saved Galactica's bacon, without him they'd have been COOKED), Tyrol, Boomer, Anders... it was a team effort, and it seemed really uncharacteristic of ADM Adama to stay in the limelight and not shove his supporters forward while taking a step back.

Overall, I think the message sent was that they're "returning to normality". The "New Craprica" story arc was not well-received among the vocal part of the fanbase (the people participating on the SciFi.com site and messageboards)...I think this was a grand "we hear you, O fans" from the writers.

Problems posed, and how they're dealt with, that will show the true mettle of the writers:
    1. Promotions--Roslyn promoted Adama because of Pegasus. The fleet is now back to one military ship, and by the rationale Roslyn gave for his promotion, Adama no longer rates as Admiral. Also, Lee is now a Commander (now technically ranking Tigh, too!), and Starbuck a Major (Galactica CAG)...it's not so simple to just put Lee back in the cockpit as the CAG.

2. The Presidency--Roslyn leaves NC aboard Colonial One. Baltar's bugged out, but was still technically the elected President. Therefore, his duly elected VP should take over now...Zarek should've been on Col-1, not Roslyn, at least by the letter of the law.

3. Cylons--what're they going to do? They've gone from wanting to exterminate humanity, to "helping" humanity, to .... ??? Indecisive critters, aren't they? And WHAT are they going to do with Hera?? Questions, questions...

Forum Member

I love the show, and the character development, but sometimes the battles seem ridiculous. It's sci-fi, I'd like to see a little imagination with the weaponry. Tactically, I think they have the imagination, jumping into the atmosphere like that to lauch vipers was great. Why do space ships have to get so close to fight each other? While you gotta enjoy watching Pegasus ramming two basestars, it's ludicrous. F-14s had longer range weapons, and we retired those for obsolescence already. In the land battles, you'd think cylons would be more accurate shooters. We have better targeting in tanks now.

Then again, I'd rather have the characters we have than light sabers with bad acting.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv
    Then again, I'd rather have the characters we have than light sabers with bad acting.
    Well,maybe I've missed some details but it seems like every battle shows lots of broken glass and exploding consoles around CIC yet afterwards,it looks like everything has been cleared up and the glass is replaced.The place looks "Ready for the Executive Officer's Inspection of the Combat Information Center,Sir!"
    Where are they getting the replacements?It's not like they can head to the shipyards and be overhauled anymore.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Stupid, stupid, stupid DVR. Had to work and it didn't record Battlestar or Doctor Who. So freaking or is it fracking upset about it. It better record tonight.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

MembersZone Subscriber

Purposely avoided this thread until I could watch part II tonight. All I can say is WOW! Even knowing what was going to happen, I still cheered when Peg came in Guns A'blazing. The space battles were impressive, but I agree with others that they are extremely close range. Seems analogous to sailing ship battles. I loved the dropping into the atmosphere to launch vipers..

I liked this story arc, but I'm glad it was limited to a few episodes. I think Moore did a good job riding the line between a good arc and going too far.

A couple of things:
    Anyone notice that when Starbuck was locked in her apartment, the Cylon used the key on the outside, but the latch was on the inside?

Loved the scene with Tye and his wife, his eyes played that scene very well.

As far as the promotions go, weren't most of them "battlefield" promotions?

Anyway, the first two episodes of this season solidify why this is a great show. I can't wait to see where this leads.

(It's also good to read this here, some of the folks on the sci-fi message boards are a little.. um.. wierd).

Forum Member

As far as the promotions go, weren't most of them "battlefield" promotions?
    Well, with the Fleet HQ at Picon gone in the mini, the main gov't (read: bureaucracy) destroyed, Adama is now in charge of all Colonial fleet operations...I'd say it's safe to say that yes, all promotions are "battlefield" promotions, but being the Chief of Staff (or whatever term they use for the top military officer of a branch) of the Colonial military, he should absolutely have the authority to fully "ratify" whatever promotions he desires.
    If their system works anything like our US military--officers are "commissioned" by the authority of the President, therefore, with concurrence or blanket permission from Roslyn/Baltar, he may promote whoever he sees fit.

ADDED:
    Promotions in the military are supposed to mean something. You don't hand them out and take them away willy-nilly. Doing so undermines the morale of both the persons subject to the promo/demotion cycle, as well as their subordinates. Demotion is subconsciously linked to incompetence or wrongdoing in most people's minds...it's a punitive measure. It doesn't matter what the facts surrounding it are, people will still assume some incompetence or wrongdoing on the part of the demoted person.
    Last edited by the1141man; 10-26-2006 at 05:23 AM.

Forum Member

Yaaaa, I got to finally watch yesterday. good episode.
    IACOJ Attack

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by the1141man
    Problems posed, and how they're dealt with, that will show the true mettle of the writers:
    1. Promotions--Roslyn promoted Adama because of Pegasus. The fleet is now back to one military ship, and by the rationale Roslyn gave for his promotion, Adama no longer rates as Admiral. Also, Lee is now a Commander (now technically ranking Tigh, too!), and Starbuck a Major (Galactica CAG)...it's not so simple to just put Lee back in the cockpit as the CAG.
    2. The Presidency--Roslyn leaves NC aboard Colonial One. Baltar's bugged out, but was still technically the elected President. Therefore, his duly elected VP should take over now...Zarek should've been on Col-1, not Roslyn, at least by the letter of the law.
    3. Cylons--what're they going to do? They've gone from wanting to exterminate humanity, to "helping" humanity, to .... ??? Indecisive critters, aren't they? And WHAT are they going to do with Hera?? Questions, questions...
    1.I reckon someone will have to do some reorganization,especially since that CIC girl is now an officer.But that's what the XO does,the executive paperwork so the CO can get all the accolades.

2.Kind of a follow on to the above comment but I am sure there'll be some political fireworks,especially since Zarek knows their Constitutional law pretty well.This will be interesting to watch.

3.Given what Caprica 6 did in the first episode to a baby in a carriage,I sure hope they don't hire HER to be Hera's nanny.Does the movie"The Hand that Rocks the Cradle"ring a bell?
    As to their plans,they tried awful hard so far to exterminate the humans,why does anyone think they'll change their ways?Wouldn't they think that if the humans get any advantage at all,they'll go back to being worker bees for humanity like it was before the show started?
    Their home planets are wasted.I don't think they'll be going back to start over,even if
    the Cylons accept subordination to humans again.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson
    2.Kind of a follow on to the above comment but I am sure there'll be some political fireworks,especially since Zarek knows their Constitutional law pretty well.This will be interesting to watch.
    Technically Bartar is still Pres, though I'm sure now that eveyone knows where is loyalties lie it wouldn't be hard to get a no-confidence vote through their quarum (sp?). Or, everyone thinks he's dead. Either way Zarek becomes acting Pres until a special election can be scheduled. If there's a new election Laura would probably win.
    As to their plans,they tried awful hard so far to exterminate the humans,why does anyone think they'll change their ways?Wouldn't they think that if the humans get any advantage at all,they'll go back to being worker bees for humanity like it was before the show started?
    One of the "skin-jobs" alluded to this at the end of the episode. Baltar (I think) says that the cycle of violence must stop, and she replies something like "If we let you go, you'll tell stories about the big, bad, cylons. And your kids will tell those stories to their kids and so on.. until generations from now a more powerful human race ventures out to enact revenge."

I think with the officer sitaution, Lee will probably take the XO spot. It is going to take Tigh quite a while to recover, both physically and emotionally. I would imagine an injury like that would be cause for retirement.
    Kara will probably be reinstated as Galactica's CAG. Would there ever be two CAG's? There are now two air-wins on board now that they have Peg's vipers. Would you have/want a CAG for each?

I agree with 1411, they probably won't demote anyone but they certainly will expect them to work below their grade.

Forum Member

From gunnyv,
    "you'd think cylons would be more accurate shooters"

They are suffering from "Stormtrooper Syndrome." You know where they cannot hit anything within say 10' while firing thousands of rounds.

Forum Member

I think with the officer sitaution, Lee will probably take the XO spot. It is going to take Tigh quite a while to recover, both physically and emotionally. I would imagine an injury like that would be cause for retirement.
    Kara will probably be reinstated as Galactica's CAG. Would there ever be two CAG's? There are now two air-wins on board now that they have Peg's vipers. Would you have/want a CAG for each?
    True. Of course, if they followed with our way of doing things, back when Pegasus was with the fleet, Lee would command Peg, Tigh would command Galactica, and Bill would command the "battle group". Flag officers by tradition do not directly command the capital ship they use for their flagship.

Two CAGs? Well, again, traditionally no. One could argue that there are two air wings aboard Galactica now, however both are under-strength air wings. They would probably be combined to form one air wing at or about full-strength. Kara would be the most likely candidate to take over as the "super-CAG".

Again, all of this is based off of US Navy rules, regulations, and traditions. Obviously the Colonial Fleet is not the USN, so they'll have their own ways of doing things...

Forum Member

Again, all of this is based off of US Navy rules, regulations, and traditions. Obviously the Colonial Fleet is not the USN, so they'll have their own ways of doing things...
    Well,they've been using a lot of USN lingo and some old WW II challenge and responses("FLASH!")in the stories.
    Tigh most likely will be retired and appear every once in a while. If he stayed on medically detached active duty with Lee as XO,it would place him in the position of serving under a junior officer,which is cause for a transfer to avoid the "embarassment".Maybe they'll find a ship that took off with less than a full crew and needs experienced officers and one of thenm will get that job.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well,they've been using a lot of USN lingo and some old WW II challenge and responses("FLASH!")in the stories.
    Tigh most likely will be retired and appear every once in a while. If he stayed on medically detached active duty with Lee as XO,it would place him in the position of serving under a junior officer,which is cause for a transfer to avoid the "embarassment".Maybe they'll find a ship that took off with less than a full crew and needs experienced officers and one of thenm will get that job.
    I think Tigh will end up like this guy:

Forum Member

Anybody catch tonight's epi?

Adama==still an ADM
    Lee==??? Who the hell knows yet...
    Tight==apparently still the XO, still with rank of COL.
    Roslyn==Voyager (I think it was voyager, anyways) was right--Zarek is rightful President, but makes Roslyn the VP and then steps aside.

Interesting point on the Naval allusions:
    Generally speaking, carriers are commanded by a Captain (O-6), Carrier Air Groups are also commanded by a Captain (O-6). Carrier command (XO tour, then CO tour) is generally the next career advancement step after CAG duty. Therefore, if they were following the way the USN does things--Lee could command an air wing as a CDR...and in fact for an O-3 Captain (Army/AF) to command would be, well, pretty much ludicrous. Hell, even a MAJ (O-4) would be quite a stretch.

Course that's just another food for comparison...and as always, BSG is fiction. Good fiction, but fiction all the same.

Really liked the angle they did with the "jury"--a little Zarek-play, done just the way an underworld boss would. Quiet and efficient.
    I'm surprised Roslyn and Adama were so quiet and accepting of it...I expected a much greater reaction from both. Oh well.
    Last edited by the1141man; 10-28-2006 at 03:15 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Adama==still an ADM
    Apparenlty he's jumping rope...
    Tight==apparently still the XO, still with rank of COL.
    Roslyn==Voyager (I think it was voyager, anyways) was right--Zarek is rightful President, but makes Roslyn the VP and then steps aside.
    It was an interesting juxtaposition. He's president, she's qualified. He makes her VP, then steps down. She becomes Pres and names him VP. At least the writers didn't just glaze over it.
    I agree that I was surprised that the others didn't react more when they first found about the Jury and that Zarek authorized it.

Anyone notice the population counter was back?

Forum Member

Anyone notice the population counter was back?
    Nope, call me Captain Oblivious.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by the1141man
    Adama==still an ADM
    Apparenlty he's jumping rope...
    *cue "Eye of the Tiger" workout montage--Lee running around the ship throwing punches... jumping rope... beating Six-shaped punching bags...*

"Hi. My name is Commander Lee Adama. This was me before *pic of Pudgy-(lack of)Action Kung-Food Grip Lee*... thanks to LaunchTubeWay, I lost over 200 lbs! Just one delicious sandwich with under 6 grams of fat, every day, and look at me now! Even fitter than before the Exodus!"
    "LaunchTubeWay--eat fast!"

Forum Member

Nope, call me Captain Oblivious.

*cue "Eye of the Tiger" workout montage--Lee running around the ship throwing punches... jumping rope... beating Six-shaped punching bags...*

"Hi. My name is Commander Lee Adama. This was me before *pic of Pudgy-(lack of)Action Kung-Food Grip Lee*... thanks to LaunchTubeWay, I lost over 200 lbs! Just one delicious sandwich with under 6 grams of fat, every day, and look at me now! Even fitter than before the Exodus!"
    "LaunchTubeWay--eat fast!"
    I loved the Admiral's comment...

Lee: I have an appointment with a jump rope.
    Admiral Adama: keep jumping!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    I loved the Admiral's comment...

Lee: I have an appointment with a jump rope.
    Admiral Adama: keep jumping!
    Well, maybe after the jump rope appointments, he'll have dates again...with a Viper. It's not totally out of the question to have him as CAG and a Commander...after all, the previous CAG (when they were at skeleton crew/decommissioning status in the Mini) was a Major or Colonel, I don't recall which. Possible that a full-strength "operational" fighter wing actually rates a Commander as CAG??? Time will tell...

Wondering where they're going with the next episode "teaser"...

Baltar: "Are you saying I'm a Cylon?!?!"

Forum Member

Just kill Baltar and let's find out.

I haven't had the chance to watch it yet, I'll watch it on monday I hope.
    IACOJ Attack

MembersZone Subscriber

Wondering where they're going with the next episode "teaser"...

'eh.. that whole question is rather played.. they've been hinting/speculating about it since Season 2.

The bigger teaser is the change in strategies by the Cylons. Now, instead of trying to exterminate the Human Race, the Cylons want to find Earth first "as their new home"?

MembersZone Subscriber

Oh, and this is pretty funny: Galactica Song

Forum Member

Talking

Nice find! That was too fracking funny!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Lt.Frank Drebbin says,"Let's all say Baltar is a Cylon."

Forum Member

The previews showed Roslyn learning about the secret jury and their "blanket parties from Hell" in an upcoming episode.
    Given how tough Adama is being played by Edward James Olmos,I wonder how they will be received when he finds out about them.
    The CO of my destroyer learned about one happening and needless to say,at the next Captain's Call,he was seriously ****ed.

Forum Member

Good song, that was funny.

Finally saw the episode about the jury parties in the launch tubes. Overall I was kinda disappointed about the episode. Hopefully friday's show will be better.
    IACOJ Attack

Thread Information