+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last
    Forum Member

Default Battlestar Galactica: season three

Did anyone watch tonight's 2 hour premier episode of Battlestar Galactica Season 3?

All I can say is ...wow... it is even darker than I expected it to be, with so many parallels to what is going on in the world today.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Not to be an idiot, but after seeing this on yahoo! it spurred my interest. What exactly is this show about?
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

If you have ever seen the original series,it follows the general plotline about a group of human colonies being attacked by mechanical beings called Cylons who plan to exterminate the race.
    The new series takes certain stories from the old one and mixes in actual current events to tell them in rather slightly different ways and with different outcomes.
    "They've" also rearranged some of the characters sexes, races and roles within the storyline but it all works out to be an enjoyable show.
    Currently,the humans have found what they thought was a refuge so they could leave their ships in orbit but the Cylons found them and began to subjugate the human race who is fighting back.
    I like it.It's far more realistic than the sterile original,which I also enjoyed.

Forum Member

Its much more realistic than the original. But with the looming big battle, is one of the major players going to die. They did a nazi type execution of the dissatants, is the pres and vp dead. Nice to have something on friday to watch.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    Did anyone watch tonight's 2 hour premier episode of Battlestar Galactica Season 3?

All I can say is ...wow... it is even darker than I expected it to be, with so many parallels to what is going on in the world today.

I watched all but the last 20 minutes. A NASCAR wannabe took me away at the worst moment!

Forum Member

Glad to see other people who are not (okay, may not be) sci fi geeks like this show. My wife and I watch it religiously. I love the way they have kept much of what made the original 1970's version interesting, adding some great character development, and keeping us guessing on where the show is going. That said, if Boxy ever shows up, I'm done

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

I recorded it on the DVR and will watch it monday when I'm off.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've been very impressed with the show in general. I grew up watching the original, but the two are alike about as much as a 1 3/4" and 5". (ok, bad analogy).
    I like how the new show is much grittier then the original. The characters are actually believable, and show flaws, emotions, conflict and development. The series has multiple story arcs and it isn't just a group of unrelated episodes strung together.

Rom Moore and the writers have taken ideas from the original series, but tied in a lot of current events and modernized it.

For the season premier.. awesome! They did a great job showing how the year of occupation has affected the characters, both those on the planet, and those that escaped with the "fleet". I'm really looking forward to this season.

Forum Member

I wasn't so impressed with the premiere of S3 for BSG. As for "parallels", it's pretty much a blatant political spin on the GWOT. You guys should've seen the BSG forums (at SciFi.com) light up after the episode ended. *LOL* Only about 650 billion "New Caprica == Iraq" threads sprang in the first 5 seconds or so after the credits started rolling.

*sigh*

I guess even fiction can't be truly fictional, huh?

Forum Member

I had a English professor in college who taught a course aptly named "Science Fiction: The Literature of Social Reform."

Parralels to current events have alwqays been a par of science fiction.. good vs. evil, etc.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by the1141man
    As for "parallels", it's pretty much a blatant political spin on the GWOT.
    I guess I can see that. They certainly weren't subtle with the correlations.
    SciFi has always been a mirror for social commentary, now it's just seen in 1-hour segments instead of 200 pages. You don't think Heinlen, Bradbury, Roddenbury and Clarke were commenting on their own social/political environment?

Where I think the BSG-cast did a very good job was showing how the characters had changed in the past year of occupation. It's refreshing to see characters with a dark side and flaws. Being forced to decide between two bad choices, or knowingly make a bad choice for personal gain. So much more refreshing then the "everything is fine"-fluff thats out there (Heros anyone?)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv
    That said, if Boxy ever shows up, I'm done
    Wasn't there an orphaned kid hanging around the pilots in the early episodes(new series) they called"Boxey" that was taking lessons in social skills from Starbuck?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson
    Wasn't there an orphaned kid hanging around the pilots in the early episodes(new series) they called"Boxey" that was taking lessons in social skills from Starbuck?
    At least I have yet to see a creepy robotic dog

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9
    You know that wasn't that dog's real voice?

Forum Member

I forgot about that dog.

First episode wasn't bad. I kept feeling bad for Starbuck's daughter. Kinda ruins them having the ex-president looking like she was executed than showing up in next week's episode.
    IACOJ Attack

Forum Member

You don't think Heinlen, Bradbury, Roddenbury and Clarke were commenting on their own social/political environment?
    Heinlen has my respect because his political commentary is plainly stated. You forgot one of the other big social-politico-religio-commentarists of that time: Frank Herbert. I've read the entire original Dune sextilogy a few times over, as well as the prequels and pre-prequels *LOL* by Frank's son Brian. I don't believe I've ever seen a more overt commentary than what Herbert did with Dune and its sequels.

I guess what bothers me so is that everyone was so quick to point out the GWOT-related overtones, and it created such an air of divisiveness on the Sci-Fi boards. Quite a few Dem vs Repub flamewars (big ones, too, the smallest were at least 2-alarm assignments ) started over there simply based upon the perceived subtext of the S3 premiere.

People just need to learn to occasionally sit back and enjoy fiction for fiction's sake without trying to draw out perceptions of subtext or whatever. As a saying I once heard goes: "Sometimes, it just ain't about you."

Forum Member

You'd think with all the technology they had, they could build a more realistic dog.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv
    That said, if Boxy ever shows up, I'm done
    I believe if you go back to season 1 where Helo and Boomer crash land on Caprica. You will see the raptor taking off... the kid sitting in the front seat with boomer , i think introduced himself as boxey but then you don't see or hear from him again that i remember

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by medic27205
    I believe if you go back to season 1 where Helo and Boomer crash land on Caprica. You will see the raptor taking off... the kid sitting in the front seat with boomer , i think introduced himself as boxey but then you don't see or hear from him again that i remember
    Forgot Boxy was the kid, I was thinking of that stupid robot dog (Daggit?)

MembersZone Subscriber

Moppit or Moffit?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24
    Moppit or Moffit?
    Anyone else here think that we have a bit too much time on our hands?

Forum Member

There is worse things to have on our hands.
    IACOJ Attack

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Did any of you watch Exodus: part 2?

I sat on the edge of my seat for the entire show, and watched it a second time and was blown away again.
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

I watched it twice too, Cap.

This show has some FANTASTIC writers.

The scene at the end with Adama getting carried around like a winning football coach and Tigh being completely ignored was very powerful.

Ya think that's gonna cause problems in future episodes?

Forum Member

I think that Col. Tigh is now a broken man, but Adama will rebuild him.
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Thread Information