Thread: Which is best?!

Forum Member

Exclamation Which is best?!

Hey guys I was wondering... If/when I decide to do fire 100%... which looks better taking a fire academy at a community college or taking fire academy through a fire department where I live.
    Is there a difference between the qualities and do other departments prefer college fire academies over fire dept academies?
    Same for EMT-B Certification...

Thanks a lot,
    Tim

MembersZone Subscriber

Usuall y time is the factor. A college is going to probably last for about a year and a recruit claas for a departemnt may last fro 10 weeks to 6 months. Some recruit class may be conducted by a college system and college credit may be obtained but in most cases if a college is not involved you may not get college credit.

MembersZone Subscriber

You can get your degree in fire science, that's not going to get you the job. Most places you have to test well, and be a resident in their City. You can take the academy wherever you want to, chances are the department that hires you is going to make you take their academy anyways.

If you really want the job, get your paramedic. Although many want to pretend that the fire service and ems service are never going to come together, if your a paramedic already many fire departments will scoop you up, especially down South.
    Chris Shields
    Lieutenant / EMT
    Haz-Mat Technician
    East Syracuse Fire Dept
    Onondaga County, NY

Forum Member

Thanks for the replies...
    So you're saying that I should not do academy because they'll put me through their own? I figured do fire academy and volunteer at a dept, untill I receive my bachelors then try to make a career out of it. Unless I get hired before then..
    Any comments as to which looks better?

Thanks,
    Tim

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SIGNAL99COM
    if your a paramedic already many fire departments will scoop you up, especially down South.
    And as in "down South.." he means, South of NC! Not too many departments in NC that are combined Fire/EMS. There are a few in SC, but for the most part they are in GA (metro-Atlanta area esp.) and in FL.

I do, however, agree that your Paramedic cert will not hurt your chances of getting hired. Just keep in mind, though, that unless your FD is on the Paramedic level, you will only be able to function on the level of the department... regardless of the certs which you may have.
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Forum Member

Do you have a particular department in mind? I would go with the Community College Fire Academy because it will teach you to function as a firefighter in general, not as a firefighter from a particular department. Besides, most departments these days have programs to teach you their way of doing things.

Edit: Obtaining Fire/EMS certifications and education is your best move.
    Last edited by EGH128; 10-08-2006 at 06:26 PM.

Forum Member

No departments in mind really.. The reason why I would like to do the fire dept academy is because it's a lot cheaper. I'm thinking I'll prolly do volly and finish school until then anyways, so perhaps theyll offer to send me through academy. That way I can have exp and academy, surely I can get a job with that and a degree..

Thanks for the replies,
    Tim

Permanently Removed

Yo...Getting on a FD is NOT like going to Army training on the Govt's dime.

Please find out where you want to work and what is the norm there. And you better start figuring out how to market yourself. The best bet is having the most education.
    So I would consider getting into an academy now, graduating and then wokring on your AS/AA.

Also, in California, most all candidates get their college academy FIRST, then if they are lucky, get hired onto an agency and attend their academy.

Lastly, seriously, if youre really serious about being a Professional Firefighter, put marriage off until to get off of probation. I know you wont listen to me now, but will wish you did in a few years.

Get the career FIRST, build up some assets and then get married. Most people now ish they would have. And remember, divorce is expensive.

Forum Member

I'm currently finishing up my associates.. I should graduate with my Associates in Arts this spring. I was thinking about volly until I get my bachelors then put myself through an academy at the college unless the volly dept puts me through.
    As for listening to you about marriage.. you are right.. lol.. Everythings already set and in stone... cant really go back on it now. But thanks for all of the advice, I appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Tim

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by Pancho
    As for listening to you about marriage.. you are right.. lol.. Everythings already set and in stone... cant really go back on it now. But thanks for all of the advice, I appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Tim
    Tim- Are you already married? If not, then nothing is set in stone. Get your own life together before you bring someone else into it. Trust me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU
    Tim- Are you already married? If not, then nothing is set in stone. Get your own life together before you bring someone else into it. Trust me.
    Take what he has seriously. He is 110% right. It puts a heavy load on the woman in your life to do this. This is why I made the decision not to get to attached to a girl till I am on a department. Consider this as excellent advice from CALFFBOU.
    J

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mcfd45
    Take what he has seriously. He is 110% right. It puts a heavy load on the woman in your life to do this. This is why I made the decision not to get to attached to a girl till I am on a department. Consider this as excellent advice from CALFFBOU.
    J
    I guess I have a different outlook on mariage then. I was maried before I went to work for my department. In fact, back when I was testing, it took over five years to get hired.

I am not afraid to say that if it had not been for my wife, I could possibly have become discouraged about the whole thing and gone to look for work in another field. She kept me focused and on task.

With regard to educations and training, don't hesitate to get that out of the way as early as possible. It will be easier now, and it can only help you in your job search. Regardless of your background and prior experience, any department you hire on with will most likely put you through an academy of their own. As far as they're concerned, there is just no way to fight fire other than the way they do.
    What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about?

Apparatus Operator
    Salem Fire Department
    IAFF Local 314

Forum Member

Please find out where you want to work and what is the norm there. And you better start figuring out how to market yourself. The best bet is having the most education.
    So I would consider getting into an academy now, graduating and then wokring on your AS/AA.

Also, in California, most all candidates get their college academy FIRST, then if they are lucky, get hired onto an agency and attend their academy.
    Bou, question for you: I currently reside in the northeast. I have my BS degree from an accredited university (double majored, but neither was in a fire related field). I also have firefigher I&II, EMT, and a bunch of other small classes (ICS 300, HazMat Ops, Tech Rescue, etc). Because of my education and firematic training, would I have a better change of getting hired out west than by the average applicant?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by DrParasite
    Bou, question for you: I currently reside in the northeast. I have my BS degree from an accredited university (double majored, but neither was in a fire related field). I also have firefigher I&II, EMT, and a bunch of other small classes (ICS 300, HazMat Ops, Tech Rescue, etc). Because of my education and firematic training, would I have a better change of getting hired out west than by the average applicant?
    I would say- Yes. Education is so big out here. It really comes down to how you present the package at an oral interview. You never want to shove a BS/BA degree down a board's neck. It has to be a nice blend.

Hope that helps...Bou

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by grains
    I guess I have a different outlook on mariage then. I was maried before I went to work for my department. In fact, back when I was testing, it took over five years to get hired.

I am not afraid to say that if it had not been for my wife, I could possibly have become discouraged about the whole thing and gone to look for work in another field. She kept me focused and on task.
    And how long ago was that? Over ten years?

Times have changed. Life is expensive and people are jumping through hoops too early.

I ask you or anyone else getting married today. Think about EVERYTHING. Kids, home, rent, credit card debt, fighting over money, school, car, maintence, food, savings....EVERYTHING.

If you get married BEFORE having a stable career, you might fall into that 50% divorce rate. And divorce is big for Professional Firefighters right now. People with a career, pension and stability are still having problems.

Think about. Get the BIG picture in before anyhting is set in stone.

MembersZone Subscriber

And how long ago was that? Over ten years?

Times have changed. Life is expensive and people are jumping through hoops too early.

I ask you or anyone else getting married today. Think about EVERYTHING. Kids, home, rent, credit card debt, fighting over money, school, car, maintence, food, savings....EVERYTHING.

If you get married BEFORE having a stable career, you might fall into that 50% divorce rate. And divorce is big for Professional Firefighters right now. People with a career, pension and stability are still having problems.

Think about. Get the BIG picture in before anyhting is set in stone.
    I'm not pushing one side or the other. Getting maried of course is a personal decision which should not be taken lightly. If you don't think about everything, as you say, there might be some surprises in store down the road.

What is it that makes you think that getting maried over ten years ago was easier than it is today? What makes you so special today? Hey, I had kids, a home, credit card-mortgage-automobile debt, school (both attending and paying for), food, savings (??) to deal with. All this while holding down three jobs and applying for fire departments. Probably without a doubt the hardest years of our mariage, which is stronger today because of it.

Again, I'm not advocating that somebody must get maried to make this all work out. But I am also not saying, as you seem to be, that you shouldn't get maried until your whole life is in order.

I don't want to hijack this thread, cuz it was originally about which type of school or academy to go to. I'll try to keep it more on subject next time (sorry Pancho).
    What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about?

Apparatus Operator
    Salem Fire Department
    IAFF Local 314

Thread Information