Thread: Union Help

Forum Member

Question Union Help

I am a federal firefighter supposedly represented by AFGE. Without going into specifics our union is basically non-existent. I read through the archives looking for info on how to get out from under AFGE and getting IAFF representation. I have heard it all; petition for decertification, ULP, memo from AFGE to release firefighters, 30 days to one year of unrepresented time….and the list goes on. I understand the AFL-CIO issues between the unions. I have heard of federal departments changing representation, so I know it can be done. Can anyone provide me with reliable information on how to proceed? We need some help here.

Forum Member

That is correct. Your dept. will have to quit the AFGE for one year. Then petition with the IAFF. Jim Johnson is the 16th District Vice President for Local Federal Fire Departments for IAFF. Unions will not step over the line with each other if they are AFL- CIO affiliated.

Forum Member

Same boat here...

Jimmy Johnson told us because of AFL-CIO rules he can't even talk to us. That was just last week! We've got quite a few quys interested and one two who belong to AFGE.

engineer2000: when you say quit... do you mean ZERO AFGE representation???? Were down to just ONE guy who wont quit....

Forum Member

All members will have to resign from the union. It has to be for one year. Fortunately for my dept. we had no unions for civilians. So it was easy for us to join IAFF.
    Sounds like this one FF is what I call an "Old Fed FF" who relys on the union because he does not want to train and knows all the loop holes or wants to wear slippers all day. This FF will have a hard time to talk into quiting because of the one year with no affiliation with an AFL-CIO Union.

Forum Member

Is there any written guidance pertaining to this? I have heard the one year deal, but have also heard other things. I need something in black and white to show the guys

Forum Member

Talk directly to Jim Johnson (VP Pres.16th Dist. IAFF). Can't get much more black and white. You can also talk to your current union rep and he/she should have some written guidlines/rules.

Thread Information