IACOJ - Proud member.

Default The “Hoffy” Hose Load

So has anyone seen this or used it ?

Goto http://www.hftfire.com and see the information.

Looks like it a decent system but lots of training for both your department and neighboring departments that may end up pulling lines off your apparatus.
    Chief Jim Bator
    www.hopewellfire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?
    FTM-PTB

I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine. ~Kurt Vonnegut

MembersZone Subscriber

OK I'm slightly interested. But Patent pending or Patented? Who patents a hose load? Here was no special tools from what I can see, so what is there to patent? Looks to me like a few long loop lay in first then you coil the rest of you line (nozzle in) to the length of you bed and plce it in the bed then take the long loops and fold them over the top. In fact maybe we'll try this without the patented tools or video. Come on, we don't charge our brothers for ideas to make the job better do we?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hose Load and Deployment

We use a similar method for wildland hose (Gnass Pack) and have taught the use of coils for a number of years. This method works great, particularly in confined areas such as a stairwell (however, we construct the coils as an alternative to flaking the hose out after it is extended.
    Ed Hartin, MS, EFO, MIFireE

Truckie

All looks good on tv...
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber

Interesting, very interesting. I will say that they bastardized the minuteman load trying to "compare" it to the coil load. Taking the entire bed of hose onto your shoulder isnt how to effecively utilize the minuteman type load.

Forum Member

We use flat loads with loops. I have never had a problem with advancing the line. Nozzle in one hand, opposite arm through the loops, and haul *****. Crosslay is cleared and line is advanced dry. Engineer charges the line and all is good.

A little coordination between the FF advancing the hose and the engineer makes this a very easy evolution.

The "problems" we have had in the past have been the result of the crosslay not being cleared.. usually when a newbie(or sometimes not so newbie) grabs the nozzle only and runs, leaving the engineer to pull the line.

The tactic of rolling the line to advance it (as seen at the end of the clip)has been around for years.

This idea may have some application, Somewhere, and If it does, GREAT!!
    But it is simply another tool in the box. Not quite a "revolution" in firefighting tactics. During the clip, I was expecting to be asked for my credit card number, and be given a toll free number to call. Sure looked like a sales pitch to me. I thought we were on these boards to share ideas freely with each other. JMO

Stay safe

Jim

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

I agree...how can you "patent" a hose load? If that's the case, we use a load for our crosslays that's a little different from most others I've seen...maybe we should patent ours?

Also, I'd be a little more inclined to take him seriously if he had better grammar, spelling, and punctuation on his site.....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

IMO, if I have to worry about training other departments on how to pull hose off my engine...it's not a good solution. K.I.S.S.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Looks like a perfect way to slip a disc in your back if you ask me.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

Ladies and Gentlemen... I hate to bring in another ad, BUT I just have this amazing new tool that I "invented." This thing is GREAT! How many times have you heard of a truck accidently rolling forward or backwards? Do you have a lot of hills in your district? Are you often concerned that while you run into the store to pick up dinner, you might come outside to find that your truck has rolled down the street or worse yet, into a parked car?? Well, do I have the solution for you!! I have come up with a crafty little object that has been designed to prevent your truck from moving when it's parked. Yes... yes.. I know.. please hold your applause until the end. You simply place this ingenious object either in front of or behind your truck's tire and it WILL NOT roll over it. Amazing... I'm working on getting my video online. (Patents pending)

On a side note, I tend to agree with the post above... especially SPFDRum... everything tends to look good on TV. We've never had any of the problems they showed on their "ad" with deploying our hoselines. Then again, we tend to keep it simple!
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Forum Member

I want one of them new wheel tire thingees. I hate when my truck just starts rolling away.

Thats pretty damn funny

MembersZone Subscriber

Instead of saying it wont work, we tried it today. We liked the initial results, however we only had water main pressure (50 PSI or so) so not every kink came out. Im fairly confident at 100 PSi there would have been no issue. We will be playing around with it again in the future.

We had water in the tip and flowing with one man advancing it in about 17 seconds on a 100' line and about 29 seconds on a 200' line.
    Last edited by MG3610; 10-10-2006 at 05:53 PM.

Forum Member

Default Read the Patents...

He has patented two variations of hose roller machines; he has NOT patented the hose load itself. So loading your crosslays like he depicts in the video does not violate his patent.

I like to keep an open mind to new techniques and wish the website was more informative.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GFDLT1
    I want one of them new wheel tire thingees.
    C'mon now... you didn't have to go and tell the world what I'm planning on calling it!
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FTMPTB15
    C'mon now... you didn't have to go and tell the world what I'm planning on calling it!
    Sorry dude, my bad. You know how it is telephone, telefax, tell a firemen.

MembersZone Subscriber

It looks interesting. I'm not willing to pay money though to learn how to pack hose. That just seems absurd. But if anyone knows how this was done and can explain it I'd love to know.
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Metro Hose Pack

If he's trying to sell the hose roller, that's one thing...but if he's trying to patent the "Hoffy," that's another thing.

I found an article on Fire Engineering's Website entitled THE METRO HOSE PACK: URBANIZING A WILDLAND SUCCESS that looks strikingly similar. And it was FREE information.

I also had a brother firefighter from Washington State send me some pictures of their hose deployment...it, too, was strikingly similar to the Hoffy. They called it the "Seattle Flop," I believe. But it was FREE....no strings attached

Fire Engineering in February 2002 also has an article called FRONT BUMPER PRECONNECT HOSELINES by Jake Rixner. This also deploys pretty well without the "dreaded" kinks. FREE information....

I think that all this stuff works if you practice it, different departments have different things that work for them. This load (like anything else) is not panacea for the fire service, and needs to be trained on by all who might use it.

I'll have to agree...paying $ to pack hose is not the way to go. It seems that he's trying to take advantage of the brothers. I have packed the hose this way, and it didn't take a fancy hose roller to do it.

Good topic....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FTMPTB15
    Ladies and Gentlemen... I hate to bring in another ad, BUT I just have this amazing new tool that I "invented." This thing is GREAT! Well, do I have the solution for you!! I have come up with a crafty little object that has been designed to prevent your truck from moving when it's parked. Yes... yes.. I know.. please hold your applause until the end. You simply place this ingenious object either in front of or behind your truck's tire and it WILL NOT roll over it. Amazing... I'm working on getting my video online. (Patents pending)
    Well,I have spent time puttering in my home chemistry lab,to the everlasting consternation of my high school chemistry teacher,and have invented a compound that can be used to extinguish fires, cool an automobile engine and you can even drink it to refresh you while at a fire.
    I call it W.A.T.E.R or Wet,Aqueous,Taste Enhanced Refreshment.
    It is easily made if you have the proper proportions of easily acquired chemicals.
    I am taking requests for the formula at 1-800 456-####.Please have your credit card handy because our operators are standing.Bye.

IACOJ - Proud member.

Quote Originally Posted by preid76
    He has patented two variations of hose roller machines; he has NOT patented the hose load itself. So loading your crosslays like he depicts in the video does not violate his patent.

I like to keep an open mind to new techniques and wish the website was more informative.
    I too have an open mind. If this style hose load would have life easier, then I'd like to attempt to use it and see if it does work any better.

I wish the website was more informative and gave a better description of how exactly to create the hose rolls. I did request a DVD hoping that it will be better video quality so we can figure out how to create this load.

Does anyone have pictures / instructions on how some of the other hose loads like this are done ?
    Chief Jim Bator
    www.hopewellfire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?
    FTM-PTB

I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine. ~Kurt Vonnegut

MembersZone Subscriber

Default JJBat

JJBat...I tried to post what I had, and the file was too big. If you'd like, I can email what I have....

IACOJ - Proud member.

Thanks phyrngn, check you PM's
    Chief Jim Bator
    www.hopewellfire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Look, call me old fashioned, or stubborn, or even stupid if you wish, but explain to me how a fire department is supposed to train their neighbors and mutual aid partners in pulling a hose load that no one but they use. It seems an unecessary complication to me.

With any other hose load that I am aware of a mutual aid company can stretch the line without having to be trained by the host FD on how to pull a preconnect.

FyredUp

Truckie

Besides, if you have that kind of time to load a fancy hose load like that, you need more fires and relevant training....
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber

The load looks like the Gazner load that the US Forest Service has used for many years. We have used the load for the last 8 years. You dont need to purchase anything to load the Gazner. You just place the male coulping in the center and wrap the hose to the desired length of your hose bed. We are a Min staffed combination FD, the Gazner load when charged is great for the attack team because it allows the back up fireifhgter to bring in a couple of small loops into the structure. If you have any questions let me know.

Forum Member

Um, what happened to the long post by the guy who came up with the video and hose load? It was here a little while ago.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information