MembersZone Subscriber

Default Looking for Sog's for swiftwater rescue

My department is currently establishing a swiftwater componet to our rescue team. All members have completed a 40 hr swiftwater rescue class this year and will be attending more in 07. At this time, I am looking for copies of any SOG's and equipment lists for Swiftwater rescue to use as a guide. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also looking for a good brand of drysuits to purchase. Any advise would be helpful. Thanks.

Forum Member

Default Just curious...

Is "SCFD" the Sarasota County Fire Department? If so, I am in Indian River County and can share what we use here. It's not "Class 5" stuff because we don't have those conditions here.

Blades Robinson

MembersZone Subscriber

Default scfd =

Blades Robinson, the SCFD is Sugar Creek Fire Department, IN. It would be greatly appreaciated if you don't mind sharing any information regarding your team's operating procedures,etc. Thanks scfd405

Forum Member

My county is also organizing a swiftwater team. After we got started on our swiftwater training days, it was decided that in order to be compliant with NFPA 1006, everyone participating in the Swiftwater team needed to go through a 40 hour General Rescuer class put together by a local department in the county. I jsut went through it tis week and it was really good. I'm still relativiely new to fire service so it was great for me to get the ropes and knots and belays and haul systems and rappelling and rescue and mechanical advantages and everything.

Forum Member

Cool Start with new ideas and flotation rescue devices

Quote Originally Posted by scfd405 View Post
    My department is currently establishing a swiftwater componet to our rescue team. All members have completed a 40 hr swiftwater rescue class this year and will be attending more in 07. At this time, I am looking for copies of any SOG's and equipment lists for Swiftwater rescue to use as a guide. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also looking for a good brand of drysuits to purchase. Any advise would be helpful. Thanks.
    check out the potential fo Rescue 8 self gripping flotation model U

It is newly available as make it your self under public domain. Coontact me and I will email photos and construction information with training protocals.

R8dmarshall

Because they can't wait use Rescue 8

Forum Member

We have two kinds of swift water here.

First is this:

Good thing about this is that if you get stuck in that, it will only last about 2 seconds... which is how long it would take to go from the lake, over the top of the damn, and down to the rocks. At that point, it becomes a high angle recovery to get the body up the ravine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second is this:

In which case, the only rescue gear required is a bathing suit and some SPF 30 if the sun is out.

So you see, you can ditch the whole thing very easily. Instead of making a swift water team and spending all that time and effort, all you need to do is build a big dam on the only river. Problem solved.

Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Default Test

I can't seem to create a new post, so I want to see if I can reply.

Thread Information