Thread: SCBA brackets

MembersZone Subscriber

Default SCBA brackets

Hey I'm looking for some help. We just purchased a new engine and are having a little trouble with the new style scba brackets, the ones that are not self retaining. The SCBA still come loose rather easily if no one is seated. Has anyone else had similiar issues, if so how is this fixed.

Forum Member

New SCBA brackets require a mechanical means to secure the SCBA to the bracket. Either clamps or a strap will work. Also do a search I believe their is another thread about this very topic (or at least related to it) that will provide you with more information.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry for the confusion. We are using the new "half" brackets according to spec, but we are still finding that they do not sit well in the "half bracket and had on SCBA during road test, driver only, fall out over top of the strap, it seems as is the strapping is not quite right.

Forum Member

I'll assume that your talking about the bracket with the v shaped holders. We have received 5 new units in the last two years that have these type brackets. The strap that holds the SCBA in place must be adjusted so that it holds the SCBA snuggly. Other than that I haven't heard of any real problems with the brackets.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Personally I think the new V shaped brackets suck. AS I stated in the other forum the restaint straps have been around for years and if SOG's for using them had been in place and company officer's would have enforced those rules there would have been no need for these ridiculous brackets that hold nothing in place.

We modified ours by replacing one of the V-clips with an older C style spring clip and re-wrote our SOG to say anytime a seat was unoccupied the strap MUST be in place. When the seat is occupied and the FF will be donning SCBA the strap may be removed prior to sitting down. Once the shoulder straps are in place the seatbelt must be worn. (This should be accomplished before thr rig moves.)

FyredUp

Thread Information