Hi guys, I recently applied for the non-certified position for Gainesville. How does the non-certified deal work? Do they send you through fire and EMT school? Does anyone know about the hiring procedures or ever applied there?
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3
Thread: Gainesville FD
10-10-2006, 04:38 PM #1
- Join Date
- Apr 2006
10-17-2006, 10:11 PM #2
I just went to the GFR website and found this information:
The following is the hiring process for both Certified and Non-Certified applicants:
1. Written Test - All qualified applicants must pass a cognitive skills multiple-choice test with a minimum score of 70% in order to continue in the hiring process.
2. Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) - The Candidate Physical Test (CPAT) is a standardized test adopted by Gainesville Fire Rescue. The test is designed to identify individuals who have the physical ability to perform the job of a Firefighter. The test consists of eight separate job-related physical tasks performed in a continuous sequence. The Orientation GuideOpens in new window (1,020KB Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view this page ) provides a detailed description of the course. The maximum time to complete the course is 10 minutes and 20 seconds. Test scores are issued on a "Pass/Fail" basis. To obtain additional information on how to prepare for the CPAT, please review the Preparation GuideOpens in new window (941KB Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view this page ). The orientation and preparation guides are available by request from Human Resources. Gainesville Fire Rescue does not accept CPAT results from other agencies. Candidates must take and pass the City of Gainesville CPAT to continue in the process.
3. Behavioral Personnel Assessment Device (BPAD) - Candidates view video-based simulations on a TV monitor and then respond verbally, as if talking to real people in a real situation. Their responses are videotaped and then scored using validated criteria. You can visit http://www.bpad.comOpens in new window to find out more information about BPAD. Candidates must pass the BPAD to continue in the process. Candidates who successfully complete the written test, CPAT and BPAD will proceed to the oral interview.
4. Oral Interview - The interview will consist of GFR Chief Officers. After the interview, the successful candidates will proceed in the hiring process with a background investigation.
5. Background Investigation - Criminal, driver's license and work history background will be completed. After successful completion of the background investigation, successful candidates will proceed with a conditional job offer and medical examination.
6. Medical Examination - Applicants must pass a medical examination to be considered for employment. Some components of the examination include an EKG, vision screening and a urine test for evidence of illicit drug use. The primary focus of this component is to evaluate the candidate's physical ability to perform the essential functions of the job.
Additionally, non-certified candidates must pass the Florida State Fire College physical test to be admitted to the Fire College.
Upon successful completion of all requirements, you will be eligible to be offered a job with the Gainesville Fire Rescue Department.
Hope that helps. Here is the link for the website: http://www.cityofgainesville.org/gfr...gProcess.shtmlGreater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.
11-01-2006, 01:34 AM #3
- Join Date
- Oct 2006
If you are a non-Cert applicant you better score 100% on everything otherwise you will not get hired. Cert app's get priority for obvious reasons. 9 times out of 10 a Dept does not seriously consider a non-Cert app. They only take applications from non-Cert app's for legal reasons so they do not get sued.
I suggest paying for the FF class yourself, passing & then apply. GFD does not push the hire of Fire Medics too much yet so you have a good chance getting hired without medic certs.
Mutual Aid Supplies,Inc.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By captstanm1 in forum Fire WireReplies: 0Last Post: 12-29-2003, 10:48 AM
By captstanm1 in forum Firefighters ForumReplies: 0Last Post: 06-17-2003, 08:12 AM
By captstanm1 in forum Fire WireReplies: 0Last Post: 01-04-2003, 10:49 AM
By captstanm1 in forum Fire WireReplies: 0Last Post: 12-07-2002, 05:35 PM
By GFD2002 in forum New Web Site AnnouncementsReplies: 1Last Post: 04-17-2002, 04:41 PM