MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Green Roof Construction

Looking for departments that have experience firefighting building with the dirt and plant roof structures. If you can let me know anything about this topic, I would greatly appreciate it.

Forum Member

I've never heard of any fires in such structures but would thinking of it like a basement fire be a start?

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

I suppose you'd bring a shovel to the roof to ventilate?
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Unlike most roofs which shed water, the weight of a green roof is going to fluctuate with the amount of moisture in the soil, which begs the question what's holding it up?

In most cases there should be some engineering drawings that would be useful in determining specific hazards and strategies. Check with your building department first.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber

If you are in the MI area Ira township's hall has a green roof. check it out maybe?
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Forum Member

There are a couple of homes in my community that have "green" roofs, as they are built into hillsides and the living areas are underground.

The roof structure is made of concrete covered in dirt and grass, so venting an underground home is damn near next to impossible. It's a lot like fighting a basement fire, which isn't fun at all.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a green roof being installed on a former town building (a second one possibly in the works) that is being converted to condo's. The following is an excerpt from a recent article about the roof in regards to wieght.

The weight alone makes green roofs useful only under certain conditions.

The roof adds about 20 pounds to each square foot of roof surface. State building codes also require any roof to be able to handle 30 pounds per square foot of snowpack on top of them.
    The article goes on to say that green roofs for single family homes would be cost prohibitive due to the required reinforcing of the roof structure to handle the additional weight.

Thread Information