Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber KevinFFVFD's Avatar

Default SCBA Mask with Glasses

hey everybody. i wear glasses. i can see pretty ok without them, but things do get a little foggy when i take them off. on the fireground, of course, i take them off. anybody have any suggestions about what i can do as far as other probucts that are out there to help in just this situation. also, somebody told me that i can buy an SCBA mask that has an insert to put glasses inside of the SCBA mask. is this true?? and if so how can i get it? thanks everyone. stay safe.

You need to consult with your SCBA manufacturer. ALL BA Mfr's have OSHA/NFPA compliant spectacle/insert kits. Use ONLY what the Mfr. of your particular unit suggests/approves.

Despite what some others may say on here, the "Military Style" rubber-strap spec kits are NOT approved- they penetrate the face seal, which is strictly verboten. As a matter of fact, the Dept of Defense NO LONGER allows use of these devices with any of their NBC masks.

Additionally, if you are an OSHA state, your department (including volunteer departments) is required to purchase the spec kit for you.

For more info, see 29 CFR 1910.134
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

no, i dont think mississippi is a OSHA state

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by KevinFFVFD
    no, i dont think mississippi is a OSHA state

Yep its a OSHA state here is the contact info.

Jackson Area Office
    3780 I-55 North, Suite 210
    Jackson, Mississippi 39211-6323
    (601) 965-4606
    (601) 965-4610 fax
    IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

If you use SCOTT SCBAs/Face masks, they make a Spectacle Kit: http://www.scotthealthsafety.com/speckit.htm
    They also make an Eyeglass Holder: http://www.scotthealthsafety.com/eyeglass.htm

I have worked with a guy that used the above in his SCOTT mask. He didn't seem to have any problems and could remove it if he had his contacts in. BUT as mentioned above, I would contact your local Rep. for whichever brand SCBA your department uses, even if it is SCOTT.
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Forum Member

Get your eyes cut...I did and love it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff
    You need to consult with your SCBA manufacturer. ALL BA Mfr's have OSHA/NFPA compliant spectacle/insert kits. Use ONLY what the Mfr. of your particular unit suggests/approves.

Despite what some others may say on here, the "Military Style" rubber-strap spec kits are NOT approved- they penetrate the face seal, which is strictly verboten. As a matter of fact, the Dept of Defense NO LONGER allows use of these devices with any of their NBC masks.

For more info, see 29 CFR 1910.134
    I well remember having to sweep my glasses off when donning the Mk 5(was it that?)gas mask in the Navy."Usually",I'd get it in the 9 second limit but then I'd have to go hunt my glasses on the deck and on more than two cruises,ended up going without glasses for a couple weeks or one month after someone inadvertently stomped them until we got to where I could get a new set ground.ALWAYS keep a current copy of your prescription available,either in your gear grid or in whatever files on you are kept at the house.
    Trust me,it'll be easier to be able to get off,head to Wal-mart and pick out new frames if needed and pick up your new glasses sooner than if you had to get an appointment and go through all that again.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FTMPTB15
    If you use SCOTT SCBAs/Face masks, they make a Spectacle Kit...I have worked with a guy that used the above in his SCOTT mask. He didn't seem to have any problems and could remove it if he had his contacts in.
    I used to use one of these in my Scott facepieces, but I found that the spectacle insert interfered with the nose cup and caused nearly incessant fogging. I tried various adjustments and tweaks, and finally gave up. That said, I also know people who use them with no problems. It may have something to do with the shape of one's face, but I don't have any specific evidence of that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bobsnyder
    I used to use one of these in my Scott facepieces, but I found that the spectacle insert interfered with the nose cup and caused nearly incessant fogging. I tried various adjustments and tweaks, and finally gave up. That said, I also know people who use them with no problems. It may have something to do with the shape of one's face, but I don't have any specific evidence of that.
    Yea, that's a good point. The guy I worked with never complained of having a problem with his mask fogging. At least, nothing more than usual. Have you tried on someone's mask who doesn't seem to have any problems with fogging? That also might help determine if it is the shape of your face, or a problem with the mask/spectacle insert. Interesting point.

i was talking about this with a couple of people, and one person said why dont i just get contacts. ive heard negative things about wearing contacts on the fireground. is their really any problem with that?

I used to wear glasses, and I tried a few things in my airmask. We use Scott, and their insert sucks--it's like having someone jam the rim og the glasses over the bridge of your nose. I don't know what sicko thought they were good, but he should ahve to wear the product himself.

I ended up buying a pair of Rec Specs and used these at several fires for around eight years and I never had a problem. I kept the strap on and just pushed it under my nose cone. Obviously, this isn't OSHA approved.

The Captain at my station uses contacts, and he's never had a serious problem.

Wearing contacts will give you a high risk of getting "stuff" under the lens and a good chance to lose them, maybe when you need them most. The facepiece inserts are notorious for fogging even worse than the facepiece. I too had the surgery (LASIK at the time) and it's worked miracles.

One more thing-- as you can see from this thread, FWDbuff has had a major knot in his safety panties over this subject for a while. Don't be bullied, make up your own mind. Not being able to see on the fireground is a major safety issue, and sometimes digging in your pocket for your glasses after pulling off your mask just isn't practical, if you operate in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by clancyxdogg
    FWDbuff has had a major knot in his safety panties over this subject for a while. Don't be bullied, make up your own mind. Not being able to see on the fireground is a major safety issue, and sometimes digging in your pocket for your glasses after pulling off your mask just isn't practical, if you operate in the real world.
    Hey Clancy- 1. Does having been a career firefighter for 10 years and a volunteer for 17 constitute "operating in the real world"? If so, whats wrong with placing your glasses on the dashboard of the truck, handing them to the pump operator, or putting them in a hard case? Never had a problem with my glasses. 2. Do you have any personal knowledge of a workers comp claim for a respiratory injury being denied "due to use of unapproved equipment?" I do. Worker using a set of the rubber strap military glasses denied bennies when he received a lung injury due to inhalation of hazardous vapors......Ultimately in the end, his employer picked up the (approx.) $325,000 costs for the injury, rehabilitation, lost time compensation, etc etc etc.

So, once again, I say: Why use something that is not approved, that will cost YOU money, when you can get something APPROVED, that wont cost you dime one?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff
    Hey Clancy- 1. Does having been a career firefighter for 10 years and a volunteer for 17 constitute "operating in the real world"? If so, whats wrong with placing your glasses on the dashboard of the truck, handing them to the pump operator, or putting them in a hard case? Never had a problem with my glasses. 2. Do you have any personal knowledge of a workers comp claim for a respiratory injury being denied "due to use of unapproved equipment?" I do. Worker using a set of the rubber strap military glasses denied bennies when he received a lung injury due to inhalation of hazardous vapors......Ultimately in the end, his employer picked up the (approx.) $325,000 costs for the injury, rehabilitation, lost time compensation, etc etc etc.

So, once again, I say: Why use something that is not approved, that will cost YOU money, when you can get something APPROVED, that wont cost you dime one?
    Deep breaths, brother.

See-- a response within 15 minutes. Mr. "wear-my-kind-of-specs-or-else" sure gets himself worked up over this. Like I said, don't be bullied.

I guess if I was a refinery worker, I'd be worried about OSHA and worker's comp,too. I'm not, though. Maybe Kevin isn't, either. Maybe after your "brothers" pulled you out of a fire they'd say "Oooooooh! Look at those glasses! I'm telling! " Mine wouldn't. Maybe Kevin's wouldn't, either.

Is the pump operator going to leave the panel and trudge up four flights of stairs to hand you your glasses? Do you think stuffing your gloves under your armpit and jamming your hands in your pocket while balancing a tool with your other hand on a pitched roof at night might be dangerous? How about transferring from a roof ladder to a ground ladder when your facepiece and inserts are all fogged up? Do you even wear glasses or inserts? And while we're at it, just how in the hell are you going to breathe all this stuff in wearing a positive-pressure SCBA, anyway?

"Name's FWD.
    I wear a badge.
    I'm a spectacle cop.
    Da-da-dun -da.
    Da-da-dun-DA DA! "

Sheesh. get over yourself.

Cool

oh no, lets not get into a argument over this. i just wanted some advice.

Quote Originally Posted by clancyxdogg
    Wearing contacts will give you a high risk of getting "stuff" under the lens and a good chance to lose them, maybe when you need them most. The facepiece inserts are notorious for fogging even worse than the facepiece. I too had the surgery (LASIK at the time) and it's worked miracles.

One more thing-- as you can see from this thread, FWDbuff has had a major knot in his safety panties over this subject for a while. Don't be bullied, make up your own mind. Not being able to see on the fireground is a major safety issue, and sometimes digging in your pocket for your glasses after pulling off your mask just isn't practical, if you operate in the real world.
    I've been wearing contact lenses for many years now, and I have not had any trouble with them on the job.

The brand I wear is called Day/Night (or Night/Day). Basically I wear them for 1 month, then toss them and replace with a new pair. Normally I don't have to remove them during that month.

They function great, both on the fire ground, and while driving, even when waking up in the middle of the night.

I would like to try the Lasik surgery, if I could just nut up and deal with having somebody slice my eyeball. I would also like to see our insurance pay for it, or at least a portion.

Clear skies.
    What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about?

Apparatus Operator
    Salem Fire Department
    IAFF Local 314

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grains
    The brand I wear is called Day/Night (or Night/Day). Basically I wear them for 1 month, then toss them and replace with a new pair. Normally I don't have to remove them during that month.

They function great, both on the fire ground, and while driving, even when waking up in the middle of the night.
    Yup... that's what I wear. I want to say they are Focus Night/Day. It's what my doctor recommended after I told him that I'd need to be able to sleep in them, yet not cause major problems for my eyes. When I started wearing this brand (probably 4+ yrs ago) they were the "most breathable" (something like that) on the market. They allowed your eyes enough air, etc. So far, no problems... comfortable, reliable, and can't say I've had "stuff" get under the lenses. Of course, that's just me..

I too would like to get Lasik. I actually think we have some deal that we can get a discount on it. Although, I'm not too fond of having someone slice my eyeball while I am AWAKE!!

Forum Member

I don't wear contacts due to having strong reflexes when something nears my eyeball.Obviously,I don't like the idea of sticking things in them so I stick with glasses til I can pony up for the Lasik surgery,which uses lasers and not sharp knives near the eye,which was a rich source of amusement to my ex,who worked for an opthamalogic surgeon.
    If the idea of prescription ground facepieces was a working concept,that would sound like a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by grains
    I've been wearing contact lenses for many years now, and I have not had any trouble with them on the job.

I would like to try the Lasik surgery, if I could just nut up and deal with having somebody slice my eyeball. I would also like to see our insurance pay for it, or at least a portion.

Clear skies.
    Do it, do it.

I got it done. I have this brow ridge like a neanderthal which made it a pain, but it is unbelievable.

Thread Information