Forum Member

Default myhometownhelper.com

Has anyone else heard about this site? They have been advertising it all over the local radio stations here. I just went there this morning to check it out and it seems like a good avenue to pursue, but was just curious if anyone had applied as of yet or if anyone had heard of them awarding any fire departments thus far.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

One of the pictures on the main page of the site says Equipment for Firefighters, so I would imagine we're eligible.

Oct 15th is the announcement date, looks like their first.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

And if you click Find a Project you can search on the word 'fire'. Returns 100 results, so looks like quite a few have tossed their hat in the ring.

MembersZone Subscriber

One requirement is that you need to be classified as a 501 (c)(4) organization or work with one (sponsor).

I glanced through our state and found 2 F.D.'s (out of 49 listed) had applied. A fulltime dept. was looking for funds for a radio system, the other was a volunteer dept. looking for funds for the relief association.

It appears a key component of the program is community support. If you look under "Find a Project" you will see in the right hand column the number of comments given. I found 30 under one project for a playground, but there were at least 6-8 listings for the same school project (I'm betting different organizations working to fund the project).

It already appears to be popular which means it will be tough to get funding.

I guess on October 15th, we'll know if any F.D.'s were funded.

Forum Member

We have looked at this (actually found out about it on Bobby Labonte's NASCAR car/petty racing) about 2-3 months ago. We havent done anything yet because we caught some flack from our city council about the "tobacco company" giving out rangers (seems our city didnt want anything with advertiesment on it, especially from a tobacco company). So we are approaching this in the Sun-Tzu kind of way, very tactfully.

Other than that, it is legit, and yes they do like giving to FD's for equipment. I believe that they are giving 15,000 $ each month for a year, or something like that.
    Last edited by Culpster; 10-12-2006 at 02:44 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I heard about the program yesterday on multiple radio ads. Already hordes of apps. I'm betting they are spending WAY WAY WAY more than $15000/m on the web site, the advertising agency, and the radio spots. Cart meet horse.

Perhaps they can pass the apps onto Bill Gates (if from Africa or Asia).

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree with neiowa--at least in concept. It's a highly inefficient way to distribute funds for worthy causes. While i believe that General Mills is sincere in their desire to help, the reality is that this is a marketing campaign designed to increase sales and brand awareness. So the grant funding is just a by-product of advertising. Could they do less promotion and more giving?? You betcha. Maybe if the advertising and promotion part is successful enough the giving part can increase next time.

I've never seen or heard any mention from Polaris on their Ranger program which is at least twice the money to the field. Better for us, not as good for them maybe. I'm not an MBA, so i don't know for sure. I do know that we will submit a project here pretty quick!!

earl (heading home for some Cheesburger Maccaroni Hamburger Helper!!)

Forum Member

Lights or bleachers for the baseball, soccer or football fields
    Repairs to the band shell
    Computers for the school or library
    Playground equipment for the park
    Holiday decorations for Main Street
    Money for choir, band or science trips
    New uniforms for Little League teams
    Clean-up projects
    Training for volunteer firefighters

Ask for help by giving us some information about you and your project
    Forward a link to your application to friends and family so they can add their comments and, more importantly, their support.
    Keep in mind that awards will be based on the merit of the project, including its impact and support within your community.
    Check in on the 15th of each month through June 15th, 2007, to see which projects got a helping hand
    No need to reapply. Your project will be considered every month through May 2007 (unless you have requested an earlier funding deadline).

Overview of Hamburger Helper’s MYHOMETOWNHELPER.COM:
    General Mills Sales, Inc. and Hamburger Helper are searching for people in your hometown that are raising funds to help the community. Hamburger Helper will fund initiatives to help hometowns across America with monetary grants of up to $15,000.00 per month from September 1, 2006 through May 31, 2007. All requests for funding must be sponsored by a municipal or civic organization or public school. Hamburger Helper will give funds directly to the public school or 501(c) (4) entity, such as civic leagues and social welfare organizations (see list of qualifying organizations below), that sponsors an application for funding. Visit www.myhometownhelper.com for more information.
    Initiatives Supported by MYHOMETOWNHELPER.COM:
    When evaluating requests, MYHOMETOWNHELPER.COM review committee will favor organizations meeting the following criteria:
    Demonstrate a need in a community
    Illustrate a helpful, creative or innovative concept that meets this need
    Clearly identify change/s that can be made as a result of receiving the Award
    Organizations Outside of MYHOMETOWNHELPER.COM Guidelines
    A decision to decline a request does not imply that the applicant’s program is not needed or valued, but simply that it does not fall within our giving guidelines or priorities, or that funds are not available. As a standard practice, Hamburger Helper does not grant funding to the following:
    Organizations without 501(c) (4) or public school status
    Individuals
    Religious organizations for religious purposes
    Political causes, candidates or legislative lobbying efforts
    Process for Submitting Applications for Funding:
    From September 1, 2006 through May 31, 2007, Hamburger Helper will be conducting a national essay writing campaign (“Campaign”) encouraging you to (i) register online at www.myhometownhelper.com, (ii) complete an essay of two hundred and fifty (250) words or less describing how your hometown needs help and (iii) provide verification of the 501(c)(4) status of the municipal or civic organization or public school that sponsors your request for funding.
    Applicants can request a one time award for a minimum of $500 and a maximum of $15,000 during any single month. You may submit applications to receive funding beginning on August 26, 2006. The first grant of funds will be made on October 15, 2006 to one or more 501(c) (4) municipal/civic league or public schools. Multiple awards may be given out each month depending upon the number of applicants and the amount of money requested by each applicant. Certification of a sponsor’s 501(c) (4) status or public school status must be included with the application for the winners to receive the grants.
    Funding Criteria and Conditions:
    Awards will be made payable to each winning municipal/civic league or public schools, subject to proper documentation and verification of 501(c)(4) accredited status. Eligible organizations include, but are not limited to: Social Welfare Organizations, Homeowners’ and Tenants’ Associations, Veterans’ Organizations, Organizations supported by the Government, Social and Recreational Activities organizations, Police and Firefighters’ Relief Organizations, Health Care Organizations, and Local Associations of Employees.
    Applications will be evaluated on the 501(c)(4) or public school’s requests which:
    Demonstrate a strong and sustained need in a community
    Illustrate a creative and innovative concept that meets this need
    Clearly identify change/s that can be made as a result of receiving the Award
    Applicants must be willing to have photos, names, quotes and other materials included in General Mills’ print publications.
    This Campaign is open to all legal residents of the U.S. (except Puerto Rico) who are 18 years of age or older and are members of a 501(c)(4) municipal/civic league or are applying on behalf of a U.S. public school. To enter, the applicants must log on to the myhometownhelper.com website and follow the directions to participate in the Campaign and enter a chance for their local municipal/civic league or public school to win an Award. This Campaign is sponsored by General Mills Sales, Inc., Number One General Mills Blvd., Minneapolis, MN 55440. Employees of General Mills, its parent and affiliated companies, advertising and promotion agencies, and partners and the immediate family and household members of each are ineligible. Void where prohibited or restricted by law.
    Applications must be received each month by the last day of the month.
    Applications will be collected only via online submission at Myhometownhelper.com.
    Selection will be based on a qualitative analysis of each applicant’s creative proposal. Selection of Award winners will be conducted by a selection committee, including initial screening by a third party agency. Decisions regarding the Campaign and Awards shall be made at the sole discretion of General Mills and its third party agency and are final and binding. Selected Award recipients must meet all eligibility requirements, must execute any necessary documentation, and must be solely responsible for reporting and payment of any applicable federal, state and local taxes. The selection committee will review applications each month.
    All applications become the property of General Mills, with all rights to copy, edit, broadcast, publish and use, in whole or in part, any such nomination and related materials, including all ideas, copyrighted or copyrightable materials, trademarks and concepts, in any manner without further consideration. General Mills has the right to use all or part of submitted applications on MYHOMETOWNHELPER.COM.
    By participating, all applicants agree to the following: the selection committee’s decisions are final and legally binding in all matters relating to this event. General Mills (which includes its affiliates and each of their agents, officers, employees, licensees and all other parties associated with this contest) is not responsible for lost, destroyed, delayed, incomplete, undelivered, stolen, postage due, illegible, misdirected materials or other errors or problems of any kind which may limit or affect an applicant’s ability to participate in the Campaign. In the event of sabotage, acts of God, terrorism, computer virus, mechanical, technical or operational defect or error or other events or causes beyond General Mill’s reasonable control, which corrupt the integrity, administration, security or proper operation of the Campaign, General Mills reserves the right to cancel, modify or suspend the Campaign. In the event of cancellation, grants will be awarded from among all eligible, non-suspect entries received prior to the event requiring such cancellation. All applications become the property of General Mills upon receipt and will not be acknowledged or returned. Applicants agree to allow General Mills to use their municipal/civic league and/or public school name and likeness for publicity purposes without further compensation, where legal. As a condition of participation, Award winners agree that: (1) any and all claims, judgments and awards are limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred in participating in this event; and (2) honoree waives all rights to claim any other damages, including punitive, incidental and consequential damages and attorneys' fees. This event is subject to all laws of the United States.
    For a list of each month’s grant winners, beginning October 15, 2006, visit the website at www.myhometownhelper.com.
    Timing of Awards:
    The selection committee will review applications received each month starting with submissions dated August 26, 2006. Funding awards will be made on a rolling basis for the duration of the nine month period during which the Campaign will be conducted. The applications submitted during August will be added into the September submission pool. The selection committee will review applications by the 15th day of each month following a completed month of applications (e.g. applications for September will be reviewed and awarded by October 15; applications for October will be reviewed and awarded by November 15) and notify successful applicants within 5 business days of making a decision.

Selection will be based on qualitative analysis of each applicant’s proposal as described above.
    Please direct any questions to: bettycrocker@mail.genmills.com

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Thumbs up

Two thumbs up, General Mills!

Good luck to all who apply.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa
    I heard about the program yesterday on multiple radio ads. Already hordes of apps. I'm betting they are spending WAY WAY WAY more than $15000/m on the web site, the advertising agency, and the radio spots. Cart meet horse.

Perhaps they can pass the apps onto Bill Gates (if from Africa or Asia).

Maybe we should suggest that they take over sponsorship where TUMS left off in the AEDS for Life program
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

FH Mag/.com Contributor

There are about half a dozen different organizations doing AEDs now. Not enough to cover all of the needs, but definitely an improvement over just when Tums was the lone duck on that front.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Thumbs up Michelin’s Driving America’s Safety Program

Don't forget this one if you're in need of some tires (fire and EMS)...

http://www.michelinman.com/news/08152006.html

Requests must be post-marked by 10/31 and received by 11/10 (though it looks like you can e-mail the info in, too).
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Forum Member

what are the addresses of the aed grant programs?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

www.firegraphics.org, Grants, Available Programs link. I have to update the page with some others during one of those free moment things I keep hearing about. But the Rural Health, AEDs for Life, and some of the others will fund AEDs.

MembersZone Subscriber

I just checked the hometownhelper website. Vici, OK fire department looks to be the first FD to get a grant. Congrats to them!

Forum Member

Smile New opportunity for Fire Departments

I recently received this in my Circuit City newsletter:

http://web.firedog.com/acrossamerica/

I haven't read through it completely, but it seems similar to the mytownhelper program.

-Sindy

MembersZone Subscriber

RKB,

Thanks for the info. An essay contest that can benefit fire departments with the potential winning department recieving $100,000 plus $1 for every vote. The other 9 finalists will recieve $20,000 plus a $1 for every vote. Voting can give up to an additional $250,000 total.

A great way for the community to show pride in their department. Good luck everyone.
    Last edited by onebugle; 12-07-2006 at 10:01 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Allstate

WWW.ALLSTATE.com

check out the Allstate Foundation link......they may fund grant proposals addressing Catastrophe Response ,among others.

this is a rolling program with no deadline.

Forum Member

is general mills still giving grants to fire depts?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fao110 View Post
    is general mills still giving grants to fire depts?
    Your question is rather timley as a National news story just broke this morning regarding how the current economy is affecting charitable giving both from a private donations standpoint and in corporate contributions. According to the article, charitable giving is off by 3.6% over last year. Actully this is far less than I believed it would be, given our sad economy right now, but the story relates that $300 billion was still given in this past year. The Hometown Helper grant has apparently been one of the casualties of this and is gone unfortunatley.

Corporate profits control their charitable giving and when those profits fall, as they have, the pool of money shrinks accordingly. What I am seeing is more companies moving to donating product vs money such as in General Mills case. They have shifted their focus back to donations of "food relief" supplies, promoting food banks across the US and health needs of kids. Admirable, albeit not directly helping the fire service. In their defense General Mills continues to donate to non-profits within 50 miles of the communities where their operations are located for various purposes.

Folks the economy is hurting many, including us but, unemployment is really bad. In my community here in central Florida the unemployment rate is hovering at 13.8%; the highest ever recorded. That simple fact means "hunger" is creeping up the priority scale again and being a basic human need, corporate donations and humanatarian type chartabile giving will dominate the scene for awhile. That means the number of programs we can access and the amounts we can access are going to get lean for a period of time. It will require us to become more creative in our fundraising efforts and the grants we apply for will be more competitive than ever.
    Last edited by ktb9780; 06-09-2010 at 07:05 AM.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Thread Information