MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Talking For You Health Type "nuts"

Beat stress, drink tea.

Regular cups of tea can help speed recovery from stress, researchers from University College London (UCL) said on Wednesday.

Men who drank black tea four times a day for six weeks were found to have lower levels of the stress hormone cortisol than a control group who drank a fake tea substitute, the researchers said in a study published in the journal Psychopharmacology.

The tea drinkers also reported a greater feeling of relaxation after performing tasks designed to raise stress levels.

Andrew Steptoe, of UCL's department of Epidemiology and Public Health, and one of the report's authors, said the findings could have important health implications.

"Slow recovery following acute stress has been associated with a greater risk of chronic illness such as coronary heart disease.

"Although it does not appear to reduce the actual levels of stress we experience, tea does seem to have a greater effect in bringing stress hormone levels back to normal."

In the study, 75 tea-drinking men were split into two groups, all giving up their normal tea, coffee and caffeinated drinks.

Half were given a fruit-flavored caffeinated tea mixture made up of the usual constituents of a cup of black tea.

The others were given a caffeinated substitute, identical in taste but without the active tea ingredients.

Neither the participants or the researchers knew who was drinking real or false tea.

At the end of six weeks the participants were given a series of tests designed to raise their stress levels, including being given five minutes to prepare and deliver a presentation.

The researchers found that stress levels, blood pressure and heart rate rose similar amounts in both groups.

But 50 minutes after the tasks cortisol levels had fallen an average of 47 percent among the tea drinkers, compared to 27 percent in the fake tea group.

Steptoe said it was not known which ingredients in tea were responsible for the effects found in the study.

Personally, I've always found a wee dram of Scotch does the trick.......
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Red face green tea

I actually like and prefer the diet green tea from Lipton with the sugar substitute. Green tea is an antioxidant and helps regulate the system. As far as the stress is concerned a good shot whiskey usually takes care of that problem.

MembersZone Subscriber

I wonder what effect Chai tea has on you and your body.
    J
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've been a tea drinker for years.

AND LOOK HOW RELAXED I AM!!!

(couldn't resist, Malahat!)
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ROOKIELZ
    I've been a tea drinker for years.

AND LOOK HOW RELAXED I AM!!!

(couldn't resist, Malahat!)
    I dunno Rook, kinda looks like your house is "afire" to me. (looking at your avatar, I mean)
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Forum Member

Wink Ny

Wasn't there a drink called the Long Island Ice Tea? As I recall it had enough alcohol to give you a real good buzz.

MembersZone Subscriber

ahh yes the "Long Island Iced Tea" made the mistake of having one to many of them one night when I first turned 21..haha.. Definatley a good relaxation method...lol
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

MembersZone Subscriber

Definatley a good relaxation method...lol
    Marionette comes to mind.

Forum Member

If it aint sweet tea it aint tea

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hammg1
    If it aint sweet tea it aint tea
    I heard that.Down here in the South we only have sweet tea.And when the waitress asks for your drink order,she'd best be smart enough to ask what kind of "coke"you want:"We have Coke,Pepsi,Mountain Dew,Dr Pepper,and RC.What'll it be,honey?"
    I grew up here in Memphis before they started adding flouride to the water so we had pure artesian well water to drink and make tea with.
    My mom always said that my brother and I wouldn't drink tea when we were out of town because we didn't like the taste.It was a surprise a couple years ago when my parents came to visit me in Paducah and at dinner,I was knocking back iced teas with my meal.

Forum Member

And remember,Euwell Gibbons was killed by a bear while he was in its territory gathering nuts to add to his Post(tm) cereal.

Thread Information