+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber LFD1MICHAEL's Avatar

Smile magnegrip exhaust verses plymovent

we are looking at both company's. any input would be great

Forum Member

Plymovent here.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have the Plymovent set up at both stations. The system has worked great with no major issues. The local company has been great to deal with. We have a maintenace contract (twice a year) for filter changes and PM's. Any time there has been an issue like a broken hose they have responded within 24 hours of the call.

Forum Member

Plymovent had them for quite a while now work great.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

Hi Mr. P, Good to see you here. I'd say any of the two are better than opening three doors and hoping we dont get cancer from the exhaust.
    Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by numbir39
    Hi Mr. P, Good to see you here. I'd say any of the two are better than opening three doors and hoping we dont get cancer from the exhaust.
    Keep up the good work!

Oh lord! We are being over run by people from Lewiston! Oh, wait thats a good thing. High Michael P. Welcome to the forums. Hope you stick around.
    Let us know where you get the money to do all of this.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

Our department actually had both systems for a while. I'm not sure if things have changed, but 5 years ago Plymovent was significantly more money than Magnegrip...Because of this, our department eventually went with Magnegrip.

Both systems work. I felt that the Plymovent's were more user friendly in how they made their connection to the vehicle. The Plymovent hose could attach to nearly any size exhaust pipe. The Magnegrip's on the other hand have to attach to a special receiver that must be added to all your vehicles. It takes a bit more work to line up the hose to the receiver also.

Also, the retraction system on the Plymovent's were less trouble than the Magnegrip. The Magnegrip retracters tended to jam in the slide rail when we first got them. This wasn't the case when we had the Plymovent.

Those two things being said...after some adjustments and learning the equipment, we rarely have problems with the Magnegrip. So for the price difference, I think we came out okay. The Plymovent is a great system, didn't seem to have the start-up issues, but costs more. If money is an issue, Magnegrips work fine, they just appeared to take more fine tuning as they are a less flexible system.

Oh lord! We are being over run by people from Lewiston! Oh, wait thats a good thing. High Michael P. Welcome to the forums. Hope you stick around.
    Let us know where you get the money to do all of this.

AFG grants is our HOPEFULL funding source

Michael

Never used the Magnegrip, but we've had Plymovents for about 6-7 years. The biggest thing is to make sure the exhaust pipe is angled in a way to allow the boot to release. They are also easy to repair when you do rip the end off one. After a lot of trial and error we've got them working well.

Spend the $ on a decent air compressor and place it as far from the dorm/living quarters as possible. If the system develops a leak somewhere the compressor will run a lot, and the compressor noise and vibration can be irritating.

We use a Plymovent system ..........and love it .............IIRC they will soon be goign toe neighboring station to remove a Magnegrip and put in a Plymovent system. I/we LOVE IT HERE !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

We have had Plymovent for about 8 years. There ok but we have had our problems with them. We have several scratches and nicks on our rigs because of them We run 7 units out of my station and if a unit goes out and the front doors aren't shut on the rigs next to it they swing back in and hit the doors. We've also had problems with ripping the ends off of the tubes.They leak air constantly now to, but then again we run 19,000 calls a year out of my station so they get abused.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Lightbulb One Man's Opinion.................

Quote Originally Posted by LFD1MICHAEL
    we are looking at both company's. any input would be great

Move on to something really important like buying more smoothbore nozzles. I do not believe in global warming, the tooth fairy, Santa Claus, or the need for exhaust vent systems.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Is that opinion from a guy who smokes??

I work hard at keeping my lungs nice and pink, soft and spongy. That means regular work outs and wearing my SCBA more than most of the guys in our hall.

tooth fairy and santa clause is up for grabs

Michael

Forum Member

We have a Plymovent and have had no issues. Not sure on the cost as we got ours from FEMA. We are moving to a new station and they upgraded us to a new wireless system for disconnects very reasonible. No problems in two years and we expanded at the new station.

Good luck getting your system.

DPH

Quote Originally Posted by LFD1MICHAEL
    Is that opinion from a guy who smokes??

I work hard at keeping my lungs nice and pink, soft and spongy. That means regular work outs and wearing my SCBA more than most of the guys in our hall.

tooth fairy and santa clause is up for grabs

Michael
    Michael,
    Harve is busting chops. Check the search option. I am pretty sure there has been discussion on this topic before.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

Default turbocharger damage

Check with your engine manufacturer. I recall a theory that the pressure cuff type seal was so air tight that it could cause the turbocharger to spin to high RPM with no oil pressure before the engine was started.

Harve,No Tooth fairy? No Santa Claus? My faith in humanity is now broken. Real men breathe diesel smoke,no sissy suckers hehe T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rfdlou
    Check with your engine manufacturer. I recall a theory that the pressure cuff type seal was so air tight that it could cause the turbocharger to spin to high RPM with no oil pressure before the engine was started.

I don't recall the engine manufacturer, but I have seen a copy of the letter on company letterhead stating that this is the case and would void the warranty on the turbo.

We happen to have magnegrip and have had no significant problems - mostly adjustment issues.

We have one vehicle and one "slot" with vertical exhaust. It would have been worth converting the vehicle to side-exhaust instead of installing the one-trick exhaust rail contraption for that one apparatus. Just something to think about whatever system you might wind up with.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

We have lots of Plymo vents in service and love them.

-Bou
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 10-19-2006 at 03:50 PM.

Forum Member

Angry Plymovent Service in Question

Our department has a Plymovent system at each station, with four hook ups at each station. Both systems are down and we have contacted them to get the problems addressed, but all we are getting is excuses on why they can NOT come to repair them. One system will not activate when a vehicle is started, the other will not shut-off. When it was operational it was a good system, but the delay in getting service is causing us grief because it is geting colder out. With it being cold out and the station is shut up when vehicles are started, so we are back to breathing diesel exhaust, tahnks Plymovent. It has been two months or better that we have been waiting for them to repair the one system, the other started malfunctioning the last two weeks. And when we called to tell them we had another system down, the excuses started coming. If they do not act soon, we may mail it to them.

Thread Information