Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leather Boots

Forum Member

Default Leather Boots

Currently in the process of specing new leather boots for the department, transitioning from rubber. I know they are much more comfortable than rubber, as I have a pair of my own. I am looking for any information in regards to brand specific durability or horror stories people may have had with specific brands and models. I am partial to the Warrington 5000's but I have heard there may be a problem with seperation of the toe cap from the boot. I just want to make an informed decision. Feel free to e-mail at mvolger@aatfd.org
    Thanks in advance.

Marc Volger
    Lieutenant
    Ann Arbor Township Fire Department

Forum Member

Personally, I have a pair of Warrington's 3009 LEATHER boots. I'm not a huge fan of the Leather/Fabric boots out there. I haven't had any problems with them and most all the guys I work with use Warrington's boots (station and bunker). If you're specing for the entire department, you might consider just your "basic" Leather boot (like... 3009) because my thinking is.. the more "features" the greater the chances are of something breaking/falling apart/coming un-glued/etc.; of course, that's just me! I work with guys that have the 5000s and haven't heard of any problems as of yet. Another option might be Thorogood's 14" Square Toe Leather boots, I worked with a guy that used those and the Warringtons and he said he couldn't tell much of a difference. They are $184 at the FireStore as opposed to $243 (3009) or $257 (5000) for the Warrington boots. I'm sure you could get all of these boots cheaper, that's just an example of the price difference.
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Forum Member

i also have a pair of the 5000's amd they are by far the most comfortable boot i have ever worn. I have had no problems with them. Expensive but well worth it in my opinion.

MembersZone Subscriber

Another vote for the 5000s. I have had them for two years with no problems.

Forum Member

Three years ago I tested several brands when we made the switch. Warrington, Servus, Thorogood, among three or four others. Black Diamond was the most comfortable and we purchased them. We have not had any problems with them in the Vol FD 150 runs / year.

In my career Dept. - Inner fabric seperated from the boot on 5 sets. The older style boots with the mesh toe cap would frey. The double leather toe cap seems to hold up well. 7000 runs / year including EMS approx. 90 sets of boots in use.

Forum Member

LT7:

We were a distributor for PW and have sold a lot of there boots. They make a good product and I personally have a pair of 3009's and 4132's. I personally have had no problems with either pair. My department has around 280 pairs of 3009's in service and we have had leak issues with around 12-24 pair.

Personally, I would stay away from the Model 5000's. We have sold several hundred pair of these and have many leak issues due to holes in the nomex/kevlar outer shell and the steel toe wearing through the moisture barrier creating leak problems. Warrington also only will warranty the boots against workmanship for one year.

Take time to check out the new Magnum line from Globe. This is the most comfortable boot that I have tried and Globe is giving a lifetime warranty on this product against workmanship defects.

Try to evaluate all of the models out there and make an informed decision. Ask several manufacturers to leave boots in your house to evaluate so you can compare "apples to apples".

Good luck in your decision making process!

rfd599
    www.IllinoisFireStore.com

Forum Member

Anyone ever had Haix boots? I heard from a neighboring department that they are good boots and also have a lifetime warranty.

Forum Member

Default We have tried several boots

We currently wear PW 5000 leathers. We have tried several leather boots over the past few months looking ahead to our next contract. We have decided on the new leather boot from AirBoss. It is made in Maine, by the guys that used to make the Black Diamond leather boots, before they switched all their boots to asian imports. They are by far the most comfortable of any boot we have tried. Best price/quality ratio we have seen out there.

Have a safe one.

Anyone ever had Haix boots?

Yes. I have worn them for two years now, and they get two thumbs up. I would recommend them to anyone.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JRLloyd
    Anyone ever had Haix boots? I heard from a neighboring department that they are good boots and also have a lifetime warranty.
    I wear a pair of the FireHunter AF HAIX Boots. They are by far the most comfortable boot on the market. As far as the warranty goes, it is not a lifetime warranty. Lion Apparel was the US distributor for them and offered through Lion a lifetime warranty on the sole of the boot. Lion lost the distributorship last spring and HAIX has now set up their own dealer network. They are no longer offering the lifetime warranty on the sole. But again, they are a GREAT BOOT!! You can call HAIX North America at 866-344-HAIX I beleive their operations are out of Kentucky somewhere.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee750
    I wear a pair of the FireHunter AF HAIX Boots. They are by far the most comfortable boot on the market.
    Have you tried the airboss leather boot ? Our guys tried the Haix and by far preferred the airboss leather.

Have a safe one.

Forum Member

Anyone tried any of the Red Back Boots?

Default Redback

I've got a pair of Redback Slip-on Duty Boots with steel toe and so far they are great. One of the most comfortable pair of boots I've worn. They are fairly price (I paid $135) but so far are worth it. Hopefully they last at least a year. Definitely worth a try.

Forum Member

I worn leather boots for the past 7 years and the only drawback I have found with them come in the area of trainng. When doing burn building training the toe cap can be worn down by repeated crawling on the concrete floor of the burn building. My advice is either to keep you rubber boots for such incidents as I have or there are commerical toe covers to protect leather boots for the training environment. Our department recently issued leather boots and has seen a drop in ankle injuries due to the better fit of the leather over rubber boots and the ankle support they provide. When it comes to brand preference I have worn both. Currently have the Warrington in my front line gear and an older pair of Thorogoods in my spare gear. I would not say I have a preference as to which is better. Like previously posted your cost constraint my be your final deciding factor. Just make sure when it comes to ordering that your members actually try the boots on not just order their normal size because they do fit a bit different than rubber boots.

I use a pair of Warrington pro's and love them. Like stated above if you are going to be doing training in a burn enviroment with concrete floors then pull out the old rubbers because the toes will get tore up on any leather.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Funny that.

Down here you get issued with 2, yes I said TWO sets of boots.

Set 1 is Leather. For general work, most training and bush fires.

Set 2 is Rubber. For when you are in full PPE. damn good boots.

For every 2 pairs of Leathers replaced, I had to change the rubbers once due to wear. (those with grubby minds stop snickering )
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber Nozzleman216's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi
    Funny that.

Down here you get issued with 2, yes I said TWO sets of boots.

Set 1 is Leather. For general work, most training and bush fires.

Set 2 is Rubber. For when you are in full PPE. damn good boots.

For every 2 pairs of Leathers replaced, I had to change the rubbers once due to wear. (those with grubby minds stop snickering )

WOW, we are finding leathers to not only fit nicer but they last longer and wear better. Are you talking about the same boot, a 14" pull on structural boot? A leather station type boot would probably never outlast fire boots. But who knows. Comfort and fatigue is the big issue here.
    Local 216
    Secretary/Treasurer

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wilson10
    WOW, we are finding leathers to not only fit nicer but they last longer and wear better. Are you talking about the same boot, a 14" pull on structural boot? A leather station type boot would probably never outlast fire boots. But who knows. Comfort and fatigue is the big issue here.
    Our Pro's are very nice, for comfort and fit, but they do wear out alot faster than any of the rubber boots we have been wearing in the past. Thats why we getting our newbies into the airboss boots before graduating them to leather in time. Saves us a whole heap of money.

Forum Member

We have Black Diamond boots. Our former chief made the mistake of buying some zip up. We've managed to phase those out or give some more active guys a second pair for wild land/grass type fires. I personally like the globes but have not had the opportunity to try any on. Most people say they really like them. They are more expensive, but with the life time warranty the extra cost may easily pay for itself, especially if you have some people who are hard on stuff.

" Leather Forever"

Default Haix

Haix are great. Both zip up and pull ons have served me well. the do strch out a bit so I suggest getting them a bit tight at first. After your first few wet jobs with them they will be just right.

Thread Information