Forum Member

Default NYFD Acronym F.D. H.N.S. N.Y. M. B.X. R.

I found an old NYFD tie pin with F.D. H.N.S N.Y. M. B.X. R.,looks to be pretty old,maybe 1950's-60's.

Anyone know what Dept./station this represents?

Past or still present?

Any info appreciated,thank's.

Forum Member

Might have something to do with the FDNY Holy Name Society??? (HNS?)
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Fir Na Tine

You hit it on the head FWD. A google search for the FDNY HNS turned up the following website http://fdnyholynamesociety.com/

If you look at the following picture, you will notice on the banner in the background are the abreviations "Man. BX. Rich." which seem like they'd match the "M. B.X. R." on the tie pin.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tom Warshaw
    Station 13 (Bethel)
    Sumter Fire Department

"Scientists believe that the world is composed mainly of hydrogen because in their opinion, it is the most abundant element. I however, feel the earth is composed mainly of stupidity, because it is more abundant than hydrogen." - Frank Zappa

September 11, 2001. We Must Never Forget.

In memory of Thomas Sabella, L-13, FDNY

All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my department or any organization I may belong to.

Forum Member

Wow,thanks all....thats interesting.

Just begs for more questions.

I guess is a (fraternal firefighting group?),associated with Shriners/Freemasons?

Forum Member

Luckythirteen,

Thanks for the info,I Googled til' I was blue in the face..and you found that.

Any idea what M. B.X. R. stands for ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by junk250

Any idea what M. B.X. R. stands for ?
    Just a guess... maybe Manhattan, Bronx, and umm... Staten Island?

**Actually, I believe the R. stands for Richmond.
    Richmond became a part of the greater City of New York in 1898.
    Last edited by FTMPTB15; 10-13-2006 at 03:57 AM.
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Forum Member

Richmond is the County name for the boro of Staten Island

Forum Member

Wow,thanks all....thats interesting.

Just begs for more questions.

I guess is a (fraternal firefighting group?),associated with Shriners/Freemasons?
    It is a Catholic organization, NOTHING to do with the Masons.
    The Holy Name Society promotes the honor and glory of our Divine God and the Personal sanctification of its members by acts of love and devotion to the most Holy Name of Jesus. This Spiritual life of its members is a perpetual act of reverence and love.

Our members perform the Corporal Works of Mercy: to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, give drink to the thirsty, shelter to the homeless, and tend the sick. The organization schedules a Communion Mass and Breakfast, a Memorial Mass, carries on a comprehensive program of charitable endeavors and educational interests.

The Holy Name Society promotes respect for the most Holy Name of God, faith in the Catholic Church, loyalty to ones country, and respect for all lawful authority both civil and religious.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Fir Na Tine

Thanks for the info,I Googled til' I was blue in the face..and you found that.
    Comes from my first assignment. The equipment rarely ever broke so I spent alot of time on the net perfecting my search abilities.
    Tom Warshaw
    Station 13 (Bethel)
    Sumter Fire Department

"Scientists believe that the world is composed mainly of hydrogen because in their opinion, it is the most abundant element. I however, feel the earth is composed mainly of stupidity, because it is more abundant than hydrogen." - Frank Zappa

All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my department or any organization I may belong to.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    It is a Catholic organization, NOTHING to do with the Masons.
    Catholic and Masons are both Christians ..right?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyThirteen
    Comes from my first assignment. The equipment rarely ever broke so I spent alot of time on the net perfecting my search abilities.
    Funny how differnt search approaches have different result's.I swear I've been Googling that for too long(3-4 months) and nothing....and you hit first try...Go figure.

Thank's Chris

MembersZone Subscriber

Catholic and Masons are both Christians ..right?
    Not necessarily. If I remember right, to be a mason you must believe in "a god," not necessarily the christian god. So, you could be Muslim, Jewish, etc. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but my cousin (Catholic) has told me he won't be involved with the Masonic Lodge because his beliefs won't allow him to be a part of a secret society, which some believe the lodge to be.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22
    Not necessarily. If I remember right, to be a mason you must believe in "a god," not necessarily the christian god. So, you could be Muslim, Jewish, etc. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but my cousin (Catholic) has told me he won't be involved with the Masonic Lodge because his beliefs won't allow him to be a part of a secret society, which some believe the lodge to be.
    Many Catholics won't join the Masons due to the fact that the Freemasons were an organization originally founded with the original purpose of opposeing the Pope and the Catholic Church. Their purpose has since changed/evolved away from that, but many folks still hold a grudge.
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

Many Catholics won't join the Masons due to the fact that the Freemasons were an organization originally founded with the original purpose of opposeing the Pope and the Catholic Church. Their purpose has since changed/evolved away from that, but many folks still hold a grudge.
    Thanks for the history lesson, I didn't know that.

Forum Member

Thanks for the history lesson, I didn't know that.
    Oh yeah, there are many semi-secret societys with in the Catholic Church....Opis Dai for one.
    -Big Russ

MembersZone Subscriber

The Freemasons are not a secret society, they are a society that has secrets, though many of the secrets have been disclosed and are now public knowledge.
    Not all freemasons are Christians, to become a mason you must have a belief that there is a supreme being who is the God of all, not just one religion.

Forum Member

Default Catholics and Masons

The original basis for the Catholic Chirch forbidding its members from being Masons is that at least at one time, Masons had to take oaths of secrecy. Catholics may not do this, because they cannot commit to witholding something from their Confessor.

Plus, of course, the last thing those old-time Masons would have wanted is Catholics joining.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by randsc
    The original basis for the Catholic Chirch forbidding its members from being Masons is that at least at one time, Masons had to take oaths of secrecy. Catholics may not do this, because they cannot commit to witholding something from their Confessor.

Plus, of course, the last thing those old-time Masons would have wanted is Catholics joining.
    Wrong, the Church was opposed to Masons, because Masons were opposed to the Church and the Pope. There are many secret societies with in the church, that has nothing to do with. It was the Mason's non-secret goals where the problems were.
    -Big Russ

Forum Member

Default No, it's not wrong

Wrong, the Church was opposed to Masons, because Masons were opposed to the Church and the Pope. There are many secret societies with in the church, that has nothing to do with. It was the Mason's non-secret goals where the problems were.
    I recommend that you read the encyclical Humanum Genus by Pope Leo XIII, and educate yourself.

Think about it, a CATHOLIC secret society would not require that secrets be kept even in the confessional. Opus Dei, for example, can simply provide its own priests for the confessions of it members.

Not to say the Church didn't also oppose the open anti-Catholicism of the Masons; of course it did.

Anyway, all rather far from the original topic.

Forum Member

Thank's all,

I'm into interesting histories, now I know a little more.

Definatly a Catholic group of Firefighters,looks like GREAT bunch of people.And I'm assuming the best Firefighters ever,being NYFD.

Any more information would be welcome.

Thank's to all for being polite to my ignorance on the subject,an interesting and informative thread.
    Sincerely ,
    Chris

Forum Member

Heres the tie clip....

Fir Na Tine

That's pretty sharp looking.
    Tom Warshaw
    Station 13 (Bethel)
    Sumter Fire Department

Thread Information