Thread: MO FF Proud

Forum Member

Change of plans... I'll be finishing my associates this spring/summer. I'm thinkin bout taking EMT-B in the summer and Fire academy in the fall of 07.
    Does anyone know of any departments (KC area - Warrensburg area) that would hire volunteer or even full time without certs?
    Will having my associates on top of my certs help me to get hired on? I'm also pursuing my bachelors through CMSU... probably something health related.
    Thanks and stay safe,
    Tim

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
    Change of plans... I'll be finishing my associates this spring/summer. I'm thinkin bout taking EMT-B in the summer and Fire academy in the fall of 07.
    Does anyone know of any departments (KC area - Warrensburg area) that would hire volunteer or even full time without certs?
    Will having my associates on top of my certs help me to get hired on? I'm also pursuing my bachelors through CMSU... probably something health related.
    Thanks and stay safe,
    Tim
    I think warrensburg has a student position, not sure the requirements though. other then that noone will hire. most the vol depts require you to either have certs or get them within a year. my suggestion is to call the nearest FD and ask, they usually know about the next dept over too. That's what I did when I moved to KC area a year ago.
    if there's no firetrucks in heaven, i aint going

Forum Member

Yea, no kidding. I know Johnson County Fire Department in Warrensburg is looking for volunteers and requires no certs or anything.
    I think I've decided to take fire academy as the night class that they offer. I'm gonn be living 30 mins away from where it is, so I can't really drive there everyday if I took the day one. And this way I get fire academy done sooner! I'm too excited to wait till this Fall. That and I'll have my certs and get on somewhere sooner this way!
    Thanks and stay safe,
    Tim

MembersZone Subscriber

Poncho--You can look at the Fire Department Registry at the Missouri Division of Fire Safety's website and see what departments are around Warrensburg or wherever you may be looking to live. Most of them have contact information if you want to call and ask them, get it straight from the horses mouth so to speak.

I know a lot of departments around here don't require any certs to get on, most of those don't really require you get them (although I recommend you do). A lot will help you get whatever training you want. Plus you're close to Columbia and Jeff City, so there's a lot of MUFRTI classes you can take within a few hours drive.

Forum Member

Thanks for the website.
    Thats crazy though, just about every volunteer department around my home town requires certs to even be hired as a volunteer! I'm hoping to start academy Jan 17 if they have an open seat.

Forum Member

Bonne Terre City Fire, St. Francois Co. 60 miles south of St. Louis.

www.bonneterre.net/fire

site under contruction

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the website.
    Thats crazy though, just about every volunteer department around my home town requires certs to even be hired as a volunteer! I'm hoping to start academy Jan 17 if they have an open seat.
    Not particularly crazy as much as it is necessity. It just depends on the situation on whether the department even can require certs. There's a career department near me that doesn't even require Firefighter I & II. But, there's two classes around us, both an hour away. It's hard for family men and women to drive an hour two to three times a week for a class. Getting MU to do a class in SW Missouri is like trying to pull teeth, so we have to do what we can with training. More departments are getting guys with instructor training, so that's helping.

My vollie department's getting to the point we're going to require Division's Basic Firefighter Skills class within a year. A lot of other departments around us try to do some basic training. However, guys that don't have the qualifications/training don't make entry for the most part.

I'd dare say the biggest problem is that a lot of areas of the state are 20+ years behind the areas around the bigger cities (St. Louis, KC, Jeff City, Springfield, etc.). If you don't live near them, just try to get a class, it's not easy.

Forum Member

Pancho-

I worked PT at Warrensburg back in 1997 while going to CMSU, and knew guys that worked for Johnson County as well. WFD built a second station while I was there, and built additional dorm rooms for college students to "live" in while going to Central, and volunteering at the FD...etc. It didn't happen when I was there (the EMS provider for JOCO folded one night, I worked there also!, and the FD got side tracked trying to piece together an quick ALS ambo system lol! good times........anyway) you might check that out. If I remember, WFD hired full time EMT / EMT-P but also had PT spots, and I don't think you had to be "certified" in much....no EMT...etc.

JOCOFPD was a true VFD as I remember, good guys and happy to get help back in those days. They were like 4 blocks north of the WDF house on Holden St. It was a good gig, I got good experience in EMS and Fire for 2-3 years, (biggest fire in my 10 year career is still the 3 story hotel 1 block from WFD house #1 that was leveled by fire in 1997, mutual aid from KC area...etc. It was my first ever over night shift on any FD, pulled out of house 1 and flames blowing across Holden!) It might actually be the fire on their homepage I just saw, anyone know??? 1997, July lol!

So check out either WFD or JOCOFPD, and have a good time at Central (UCM now right), I did! I earned the B.S in Occupational Safety / Fire Science. It put me over the top to beat out 35 other medics for a job in STL County.

Good luck.

http://www.warrensburg-mo.com/Fire/Fire_Department.htm

Forum Member

Wow nice!
    Thats something I just asked on the main forums... Whats a good degree to get to beat out other apps these days? It seems MEDICS are almost required now a days. Im thinking about majoring in Exercise Science and Dietetics, but I would change that to boost my chances.

I have been looking into WFD and JoCo.. Tomorrow I find out if I can get into the Fire academy out here by KC, that'll let me know whether or not I put an app in at WFD or JoCo.
    Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it!
    Stay safe,
    Tim

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pancho

Hey pancho I'm with WFD and were taking apps. right now for pt slots. I also went to the Fire Academy in Independence. I'd be happy to answer any questions.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow nice!
    Thats something I just asked on the main forums... Whats a good degree to get to beat out other apps these days? It seems MEDICS are almost required now a days. Im thinking about majoring in Exercise Science and Dietetics, but I would change that to boost my chances.
    I'm sure exercise science and dietetics is a good degree, but part of choosing your degree should probably be how high you want to move up in the department. If you want to be a chief some day, I'm not sure ES&D will get it done as most departments require a degree in fire science, fire admin., or public admin. "or related field." Our chief has a BS in Public Admin. and a Masters in Occupational Safety. I'm sure the Masters alone helped out, but with it being in Occupational Safety I'm sure it helped out even more as it's related to the job.

Forum Member

Axe I got a bud I worked with through my current security job who works for WFD. Ben Minks hes a fire medic he got hired on prolly bout a year or two ago. Anyways, I might see about puttin in an app if they are still seeking!
    Thanks and stay safe,
    Tim

Forum Member

Yea, thats a good point about the degrees. After this summer I will have my associates in arts and after this fall I'll have an associates in fire science. I wouldn't mind pursuing a degree like business admin, public admin, or accupational safety, but they seem boring to me! I might just suck it up and double major, one that interests me and one for promotions!
    Stay safe,
    Tim

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pancho

Ya Ben is on the ambulance district. I used to work full-time for them. The fire dept is seprate from the ambulance district. But were accepting apps. until 1/31/07.

Forum Member

I see. Well I just moved into my new apartment out there. I'm taking 5 classes this semester plus I'm working 24 hours a week. I don't know if I'm going to have the availability to work PT/FT for WFD. I picked up and app and talked to the captain and JoCo FD, he seems really cool. I think that will be my best bet for my schedule these next few semesters.
    Got aim? momasboy529 message me sometime.
    Thanks and stay safe,
    Tim

Forum Member

Axe....

Hey brother. How are things at WFD? I had a "cup of coffe" there in 1997-98, but like I said I was lucky enough to be part of the ambo start-up. I remember a lot of good guys there, I left right before they did official hiring for the ambo spots for permanent positions. I remember running out of a Lee's Summit FD reserve ambo for like 3 months lol.

Anyway, is that fire on your WFD's web page the Paxton (?) Hotel Fire in July 97. I was on E4 with Paul, Terry and Reon maybe, I swear Terry H. pulled the truck out off the ramp, turned it left and put it in pump lol. I'm surprised the smoke didn't wake us up at the firehouse. Here are a few photos someone sent me after the fire.......
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by FHandz15; 01-08-2007 at 10:17 AM.

Forum Member

A few more, just sharing some old fire photos..........
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Forum Member

Nice pics, looks like it was a fun time! My interview is at 7:15 with JoCo. Woot!
    Stay safe,
    Tim

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pancho

Cool I'm also on with Joco fd. So i'll probably see you around.
    J.D.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by axekickinff View Post
    Cool I'm also on with Joco fd. So i'll probably see you around.
    J.D.
    Did you guys get your grass rig done? We sold you your pump for it.

Bryan

Forum Member

WOOT! Just got the call. I'm on with JoCo FD as a volunteer. I gear up this Saturday! =)
    Stay safe,
    Tim

Forum Member

Talking

WOOT! Just got the call. I'm on with JoCo FD as a volunteer. I gear up this Saturday! =)
    Stay safe,
    Tim

Forum Member

Congrats Pancho.........welcome to the brotherhood!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Murphy

Ya I don't Know about the pump thing. I just got in I think January of 06.

I guess I'll see you at training sometime pancho.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Murphy

Ya I don't Know about the pump thing. I just got on I think January of 06.

I guess I'll see you at training sometime pancho.

Thread Information