Forum Member

Default Powerarc LED's do you like them?

We are looking to put led's on our new truck, How do the Whelen,Code3 compare to powerarc.

Thanks

Forum Member

We put a powerarc light bar on one of our engines. It has worked great. Lots of light with rotating LED's.
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

Forum Member

The Whelen and Fed Sig products will over power, out shine, and out-last them.

Go view this video, http://www.powerarc.net/videos_large...ideo=in_motion , and tell me if you're impressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

We currently have an apparatus with the halogen powerarc lights like in the video shown above they are not to bad definatly bright. I have only seen Powerarc's LED Traffic Advisor and there 4" round LED warning lights. They seem to be pretty impressive as for there LED Lightbars, I really couldn't say. I will agree though that from what I have seen, Whelen has the market on LEDs.

Assuiming I did this right this link should take you to PowerArc's Oscillating LED's lights.

http://www.powerarc.net/videos_large...cillating_leds

MembersZone Subscriber

My dept. has two rigs with the PowerArc halogen lightbars. We just ordered a new pumper and purchased the LED PowerArc bar. We looked at the Whelen Freedom bar which is used by several local depts. We preferred the PowerArc because the LED's stay on instead of being turned on and off. We think that is better for the lights. Other bars that just flash the LED's lose significant light when you are off center unless there are angled LED's in the bar. By using PowerArc, the lights stay on and are oscillated through the field of vision so we get better light on the angles. The clear lights in the bar are still halogen. We can't prove that until the new pumper gets here,but thats our best estimate of what we bought.

Forum Member

Our new truck has the LED Powerarc lightbar. You really have to see it in person to appreciate the visibility. The fact that they stay on continuously is the key. The motion back and forth "pushes" the light further than a stationary. Just one man's opinion.
    BAClair

Forum Member

Default PowerArc

We recently refurb'd a rescue truck and added the PowerArc Lights. We went to the Harrisburg Show in PA to compare lights. To a person, everyone was extremely impressed with the PowerArc lights. I personally consider them to be one of the most effective lights on the market.

We placed two on the front face of the apparatus, one each on the sides of the front bumper as intersection lights, and two on the rear. Everyone who has seen them on the apparatus has loved them. I recently spoke with PowerArc to suggest a modified light for the mid-side appratus and I was advised to wait until January, that they will be bringing out a new light which I assume is for this purpose. If we were spec'ing out an appratus, I can assure you they would be on our rig.

Dan

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Our new HME Rescue Engine has a complete Power Arc LED lighting package and I will tell you that it is the absolute brightest lighting package I have ever seen. There is complete coverage of all sides of the rig.

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Power Arc

Check with St. Louis FD as they have 33 Smeal's and 2 SVI Heavy Rescues that are all with Power Arc. Some of the lighting is LED and others are Halogen rotators when they were ordered about 8 years ago.

MembersZone Subscriber

As a salesman I'll put whatever lights you want on the rig. Powerarc, Federal, Code 3, Whelen - whatever you prefer.

To me - and I may be incorrect, but half the reason to go with an LED bar is the reduced amp draw. Seems to me the more motors you add that swivel the light heads, you negate this advantage.

I seriously doubt that the cycling of LEDs on or off hurts them, and I would suspect over the life of a rig you'd spend more on making sure the motors that run the Powerarcs "arc" work than you would on replacing typical LED clusters in a light bar. I don't know this for a fact, so if I'm wrong here, set me straight.

My personal (and only MY) opinion is that a good quality LED bars and lights are the way to go, with some conventional lighting tossed in. Effective (and not over the top) solutions would be a pair of MARS lights on the cab corners, or perhaps a roto-ray (they are effective - people have commented on how well they see them in their mirrors), etc.

I think the strongest points of Powerarc are the lights in the grill and front lower corners, as the pivoting action would catch the attention of other drivers, much like a roto-ray or MARS light does. Trouble is, zone packages usually need to be "packaged" by one supplier to meet NFPA requirements, so then you get caught using perhaps a less effective light in other areas...

Seems to be a big regional push in some areas for their lights. I think they're fairly popular in southern IL/St. Louis, MO area for one, as previously mentioned.

Forum Member

There's two "major" types of LED technology. A "linear" style lighthead, and a "directional" style lighthead. I'm not going to get into "generations", because that just muddys up the water even more. The directional lightheads (Like a Whelen TIR 3 for instance) produce the most light in the direction they are facing. A "linear" lighthead (Whelen LIN3 for example) have near the same level of light output to the front as they do to the sides.

Cycling of the LEDs in fact does not hurt them, and helps keep the heat output down. On-Off-On-Off over 10 seconds produces alot less heat then On-On-On-On. One of the biggest killers of LED lighting is heat at the component level. With the flashing lights, you have a head pointed always in a dedicated direction. With the rotators you "pull away" that dedicated light when it's turned away leaving you "empty" unless you start putting in mirrors and dividing up light intensity.

If you look at strobe lightbars, how often do you see "corner" or "intersection" strobes? I'd be willing to say the majority of bars. No one single light is going to be the end-all for all lighting zones. Some of the best lightbars out there (MX7000, Edge, Freedom, Blade) all share the same principle for side warning... Angle a lighthead on each side at near 45* and use it for intersections.

The biggest problem I have with an "LED Rotator" like the Powerarc is that they use very directional light heads in the rotator. Something with a "Linear" technology will have a great pattern towards the bottom and won't "fade out" in intensity versus the concentrated directional beam of the Powerarc bar.

If you look at the video link I posted, the highest intensity lights in that power arc are the CLEAR HALOGEN ROTATORS. So much for their LEDs being very bright.

I need to touch on the "generation" thing here for a second. If you look at the actual modules in a PowerArc head, you'll see that they are just LED diodes placed in a bowl shaped reflector. Go take a look at the other manufacturers heads and you'll see higher quality diodes, extra attention towards thermal transfer, and reflectors that are design for the purpose. The reflectors that PowerArc is using are quite close to the ones you'd find in a little 2 double-A battery flashlight. They are NOT "designed" for that use by any means when you compare it to the competitors lines.

Another big beef that I have with the PowerArc LEDs, is that they boast a 10 degree coverage for their LEDs light spectrum. I know for a fact that the comparable Whelen, Lightning X, Tomar, lightheads boast a better then 10 degree pattern on their directional heads. One linear head will cover a broader spectrum then the PowerArc oscilator, at less amp draw, and higher intensity.

I will NOT sell a PowerArc lightbar. I haven't even tried to get the shop to pick them up. A local vendor apparatus shop uses them, and if all goes well, I'm going to get my department to try something else. Installing this stuff for a living, you get to know the products a little better. PowerArc isn't one of the "Top Sellers" in the North East, and I doubt it will ever be. Whelen, Fed Sig, and Tomar seem to have the sales. Very little of anything else unless it's a volunteer POV.

Edit...

With four linear lightheads, you can have 1/8th the amp draw, higher intensity, and outperform the oscillators at grill level. Two heads per side, with the outer heads angled towards the right/left, and with the middle heads angled frontward. Sync the heads so that opposing heads flash and you have the same effect as an oscillator. With the linear heads it looks just like an oscillator too.
    Last edited by Res343cue; 10-19-2006 at 02:41 AM.
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

Now why do you suppose Whelen would be a major player on the market? Is it because they were one of the first with a reliable strobe system? Or is it that they were one of the first to get the LED technology figured out?Or is it the way they take care of their customers AFTER the sale.In my opinion,it's ALL the above.I recently sent in a 14 yr old power supply and it was returned,fixed,NO CHARGE. We've used Whelen for years,outside of the occasional bulb,thousands of hours of use with no downtime.Our FS stuff was just as good.Haven't seen enough of the PA stuff to accurately judge it.Concept is neat enough but most electric motors fail over time.I can say that the latest generation Whelen LED bars will really catch your eye,they are VERY bright.Lot of nice products out there,what can you get service on?It would be one of my deciding factors. T.C.

Forum Member

Smile Power Arc Web Site

This is interesting.

http://www.tmgclients.com/powerarc_dev/default.asp

Move your mouse arrow ove the lights and watch what happens.

MembersZone Subscriber

As nice as some think they look, the reason we switched from rotary lights to strobes was to eliminate moving parts. Now we've moved to LEDs to get longer life. Adding a moving part and motor just decreases the reliability o fthe LED product.

Forum Member

Using directional LED's in a rotating chassis is still less efficient then using wide angle "linear" type LEDs mounted at the correct angle!

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Personally I like Whelen, if you want a light bar that is LED and has the effect of rotating I would check out the Fed Signal LED VECTOR bar NYPD uses them and they are extremely bright here's a video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bX64cy9bc7c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eELQU...elated&search=
    Last edited by dano8696; 08-23-2007 at 11:23 PM.

Forum Member

We have had our Power Arcs for over a year now without issue. If we were specing a truck, I am safe to say that we would spec with them. Extremely effective lights.

Dan

Forum Member

Anyone have and info an the newer Power Arcs?

Forum Member

My department previously had PowerArc lights on 5 of our rigs. We've since changed several lights out and only 1 has a PowerArc set-up - all halogen, and 1 has an old Code 3 halogen and strobes.

Everything else has or is being changed over to Whelen LEDs. The Powerarc is on the cutting block in the next year.

Main reason, we prefer the Whelens. We feel its more light for our money.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WBFD25 View Post
    My department previously had PowerArc lights on 5 of our rigs. We've since changed several lights out and only 1 has a PowerArc set-up - all halogen, and 1 has an old Code 3 halogen and strobes.

Everything else has or is being changed over to Whelen LEDs. The Powerarc is on the cutting block in the next year.

Main reason, we prefer the Whelens. We feel its more light for our money.
    I read more trying to find out if anyone has used the newest generation on the LED power arcs and how they work? Thanks for the input

Thread Information