1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4

    Default couple questions....

    i am really new and this may have been asked before and talked about but im an explorer and i wanna know what you guys do at your dept. and how often do you guys meet oh and do you guys get to ride out yet because for me and my crew we have to wait until we have aour class 3 check off.

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    backsteprescue123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,319

    Default

    Welcome to the forums. First of all, let me tell you this politely and I hope that you do not take offense to it, but please use proper English (punctuation, spelling, no run ons) not saying that you are a horrible typer, but just to give you a heads up because you will gain respect if you use proper grammer and don't act like you are 5. (I am sure that you do not, but some here do.)

    Back to your question.

    My name is Jake and I am the Captain of Rossford Fire Explorer Post 790 in Rossford, OH. I am the ranking officer of our post and below me are 2, soon to be 3 lieutenants. The number of Lt's depends on the size of the post. We meet every Wednesday, during the school year from 1900-2100 and during the summer from 1800-2100. Occasionally we go over the normal time alloted for our drills. We have a dedicated training/drill schedule that we follow so that within a year the entire post will have learned everything necessary to pass the Firefighter I class and the first responder class. Some of us that have been around firefighting our entire lives or are more involved go further and go to training on their own time. At this time, we cannot go to calls unless we are called for by the Incident Commander.

    Our new members have a probationary period of 6 months during which they will learn Incident Command, Communications, Fire Behavior, and some of the specific operations of our dept. (e.g.- running order for different types of calls). They will be assigned to a Field Training Officer (FTO) who is an officer or senior member of the post to teach them the skills necessary to get off of probation. There is a booklet called the FTO Booklet that outlines the necessary skills and knowledge needed to get off of probation. These include learning how to properly don and use PPE and SCBA, how to pack/roll hose, etc. The probationary member also must, by the end of their probation, go through each piece of apparatus 5 times and explain what each tool/appliance/etc. is and what it is used for. Then the probationary member must pass a test on the apparatus. Then the probationary member must pass a test on the Incident Command, Communications, Fire Behavior, and Dept Ops. that they learned to get off probation and become a regular member.

    After 3 months of probation, they will be issued tunrout gear and placed on the call up roster. Once they are off probation they can buy uniform shirts and will get a badge for their Class A/B uniforms.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer
    Welcome to the forums. First of all, let me tell you this politely and I hope that you do not take offense to it, but please use proper English (punctuation, spelling, no run ons) not saying that you are a horrible typer, but just to give you a heads up because you will gain respect if you use proper grammer and don't act like you are 5. (I am sure that you do not, but some here do.)

    Back to your question.

    My name is Jake and I am the Captain of Rossford Fire Explorer Post 790 in Rossford, OH. I am the ranking officer of our post and below me are 2, soon to be 3 lieutenants. The number of Lt's depends on the size of the post. We meet every Wednesday, during the school year from 1900-2100 and during the summer from 1800-2100. Occasionally we go over the normal time alloted for our drills. We have a dedicated training/drill schedule that we follow so that within a year the entire post will have learned everything necessary to pass the Firefighter I class and the first responder class. Some of us that have been around firefighting our entire lives or are more involved go further and go to training on their own time. At this time, we cannot go to calls unless we are called for by the Incident Commander.

    Our new members have a probationary period of 6 months during which they will learn Incident Command, Communications, Fire Behavior, and some of the specific operations of our dept. (e.g.- running order for different types of calls). They will be assigned to a Field Training Officer (FTO) who is an officer or senior member of the post to teach them the skills necessary to get off of probation. There is a booklet called the FTO Booklet that outlines the necessary skills and knowledge needed to get off of probation. These include learning how to properly don and use PPE and SCBA, how to pack/roll hose, etc. The probationary member also must, by the end of their probation, go through each piece of apparatus 5 times and explain what each tool/appliance/etc. is and what it is used for. Then the probationary member must pass a test on the apparatus. Then the probationary member must pass a test on the Incident Command, Communications, Fire Behavior, and Dept Ops. that they learned to get off probation and become a regular member.

    After 3 months of probation, they will be issued tunrout gear and placed on the call up roster. Once they are off probation they can buy uniform shirts and will get a badge for their Class A/B uniforms.
    Oh okay thank you so much for the advice. Wow my squad is kind of un professional if you will. One of our main guys have been here for a year and some months and he's not a lut. or officer and he has not been called out yet. Also for the new guys when they come after 2 or 3 meetings they buy there uniform and shirts. We meet once a week and just go over anything (SCBA, Ladders and Hose drills ...etc) I would do anything to be able to be on the call rouster. Do You Mind Explaining The 1800-2100 Hours I Dont Know What Time That Is But Im Willing To Learn.

    Thanks Alot.

    -James

  4. #4
    god

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    All over
    Posts
    255

    Talking Oops

    An aside from the question (my apologies),

    Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer
    Welcome to the forums. First of all, let me tell you this politely and I hope that you do not take offense to it, but please use proper English (punctuation, spelling, no run ons) not saying that you are a horrible typer, but just to give you a heads up because you will gain respect if you use proper grammer and don't act like you are 5. (I am sure that you do not, but some here do.) .
    Actually, RFFDxploer, since your must discuss grammar, your last sentence is a quite long run-on; the use of your parentheses is improperly placed outside of a sentence. To add to the list, because "5" is less than ten, it should be therefore spelled (five); typer is not a word, rather "horrible at typing" is more suitable. Not too be too picky, but “grammer” is grammar. And finally, the period inside your last parenthetical phrase (again, incorrectly used) should be outside of the last parenthesis.

    -Sorry, it is 0500 and I have been awake since 0300, when I am supposed to wake up for school around 0640. No offense, but should you complain about a person’s grammar, properly critique. Again, no offense, just quite bored.

  5. #5
    god

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    All over
    Posts
    255

    Arrow This time, relevant to the thread...

    As for my (well, not "mine," per se), we usually meet twice a month. Usually from 1830 to anywhere between 2030-2130 (1830: 6:00PM, 2030: 8:00PM, 2130-9:30PM). The time format is known as 24-hour time. Instead of using AM/PM, it is based upon each hour of the day (hence "24-hour" time). To convert, simply subtract 12 from any time about 12pm. Or as I do it, subtract two and remove the first number (i.e. 16:30: 16-2=14, remove the 1: 4:30 PM).

    We do a variety of things, often, if nothing has been planned, we simply review each part of the apparatus (chassis, cab, tools, pumps, etc). Otherwise, we set up evolutions (a hypothetical scenario), work with hoses, or have lecture based instructions, either from our Chief (who is one of the Battalion Chief's of the district) or a FF/Paramedic.

    For "ride-along," we are permitted to go, assuming the apparatus has enough room for an explorer to SAFELY be seated. Of course, the trucks cannot take the whole group. Or, up to three times a month, we can volunteer our time (whether a weekend, free time, or if an explorer is no longer in school, as I am still in high school) with the B.C. (battalion chief), usually riding in the Dept. Chevy Suburban or another Apparatus. We are not permitted to ride on the ambulances, unless we have a signed contract with the dept, over 18 and either taking an EMT course or have completed one.

    We do have uniforms: two shirts, a collar (a light, mixed grey) and a "training" shirt (dark grey). Also, we are provided a nice fleece pull-over. On each of the three articles of clothing, there is the Dept. Patch (actually, my image on the left), then our last name, and beneath, "Explorer Post 2202." To complete the uniform, we must wear navy blue pants, a black belt, and black shoes/boots.

    -Hope I answered most of your questions!

    EDIT: Ah yes, after our three month probationary period, we are issued full Turn-Out gear (jacket, bunker pants, hood, gloves, boots and a helmet).

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    backsteprescue123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikie333
    An aside from the question (my apologies),



    Actually, RFFDxploer, since your must discuss grammar, your last sentence is a quite long run-on; the use of your parentheses is improperly placed outside of a sentence. To add to the list, because "5" is less than ten, it should be therefore spelled (five); typer is not a word, rather "horrible at typing" is more suitable. Not too be too picky, but “grammer” is grammar. And finally, the period inside your last parenthetical phrase (again, incorrectly used) should be outside of the last parenthesis.

    -Sorry, it is 0500 and I have been awake since 0300, when I am supposed to wake up for school around 0640. No offense, but should you complain about a person’s grammar, properly critique. Again, no offense, just quite bored.


    Allllrighty then.

    I'm not even going to dignify that with a response.

    Have a good day.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Thank You Mikie333 But Say If Its 3 O'Clock Here How Do I Say That In Military Time?

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    959

    Default

    If it is 3p.m. it would be:
    3:00 + 12 = 1500

    Just simply add 3 + 12 = 15, then add 2 zeros onto that number.
    12 a.m. = 0000
    1 a.m. = 0100
    2 a.m. = 0200
    3 a.m. = 0300
    4 a.m. = 0400
    5 a.m. = 0500
    6 a.m. = 0600
    7 a.m. = 0700
    8 a.m. = 0800
    9 a.m. = 0900
    10 a.m. = 1000
    11 a.m. = 1100
    12 p.m. = 1200
    1 p.m. = 1300
    2 p.m. = 1400
    3 p.m. = 1500
    4 p.m. = 1600
    5 p.m. = 1700
    6 p.m. = 1800
    7 p.m. = 1900
    8 p.m. = 2000
    9 p.m. = 2100
    10 p.m. = 2200
    11 p.m. = 2300

    So.... 12:15 a.m. would be 0015.
    5:30 p.m. = 1730
    10:45 p.m. = 2245

    Does that make sense?
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    12

    Default

    yeah thanks.

  10. #10
    god

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    All over
    Posts
    255

    Default

    all my clocks (watches, phones, computers) run on that format, after a while, it just comes to you and you no longer have to do the math in your head, rather reckonize the number as if it was the back of your hand.

    but then there is the technicality of 24 hr format vs. Military format. 24 hour, used by the majority of the world is simply 18:30 (for 6:30pm), whereas in Military "time," 1830 (still 6:30pm), the colon is droped (and when it is the first ofthe hour, like 1pm, it would be "thirteen-hundred hours" (1300)
    Last edited by mikie333; 10-18-2006 at 01:12 AM.

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Ok Say 1830 (6:30) How Do You Say 1830 Like eighteen thirty? I Know Like 1:00pm would Be o one hundred But Not Sure. Thank You I Appericiate Your Help.







    -Slick

  12. #12
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SlickPost26
    Ok Say 1830 (6:30) How Do You Say 1830 Like eighteen thirty? I Know Like 1:00pm would Be o one hundred But Not Sure. Thank You I Appericiate Your Help.







    -Slick
    Correct, 1830 would be pronounced: "Eighteen Thirty" hours

    1:00pm (1300) would be pronounced: "Thirteen Hundred" hours

    Generally, for me, if it is anything before 12pm, I just say "Eight o' clock" (0800) or "Ten o' clock" (1000). I don't say all the "zero eight hundred hours" stuff for 0800.
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

  13. #13
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Ok I Think I Pretty Much Got This Down.

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    nmfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Posts
    5,738

    Default

    Not quite. I'll establish some patterns for you to follow here.

    00:00 = Midnight, spoken "zero hundred hours"
    00:35 = "zero zero three five"
    01:00 = "zero one hundred"
    02:00 = "zero two hundred"
    03:00 = "zero three hundred"
    03:10 = "zero three ten" or "zero three one zero"
    03:30 = "zero three thirty" or "zero three three zero
    03:47 = "zero three fourty seven" or "zero three four seven"

    12:00 = Noon, spoken "twelve hundred hours"
    12:30 = "tweleve thirty hours"
    12:43 = "twelves fourty three hours"
    13:00 = 1pm spoken "thirteen hundred hours
    14:00 = 2pm spoken "fourteen hundred hours
    21:00 = 9pm spoken "twenty one hundrend hours"
    21:45 = "twenty one fourty five"

    And the phrase "oh-dark-thirty" refers to any early morning time before sunrise. Now you know how they got it.

    See the patterns? It is really easy once you use it enough. It becomes more common to your brain than normal time and you'll find yourself using it in casual conversation.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    959

    Default

    Alright... and for anyone else interested, this website does a decent job explaining it and it also has a handy little chart (like what I typed out).

    http://www.g-m-r-s.org/military-time.htm
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

  16. #16
    MAS
    MAS is offline
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17

    Default

    nmfire

    "00:35" is the incorrect way to display.

    Its "0035 hours"


    I know you know everything, so I will assume it was a typo on your part, right? ahuh.

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    nmfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Posts
    5,738

    Default

    Seeking out other unrelated threads because you can't defend yourself in another is not going to help you. And yes, 00:35 is a proper and correct way to display time.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    backsteprescue123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MutualAidSupply
    nmfire

    "00:35" is the incorrect way to display.

    Its "0035 hours"


    I know you know everything, so I will assume it was a typo on your part, right? ahuh.

    Who says that it is incorrect to display 00:35 that way? That's the way it looks on the big ***** digital clock on the wall in our radio room at 12:35 in the morning.

    You are still a guest but come off as you have been here forever and have read every one of his posts. PLease calm down and become a respectful member of these forums. It is alright to disagree, but saying that "my way is the only way" is going to tick alot of people off. Just remember, people do things differently everywhere.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

  19. #19
    Fir Na Tine
    LuckyThirteen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Sumter, SC
    Posts
    222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer
    It is alright to disagree, but saying that "my way is the only way" is going to tick alot of people off. Just remember, people do things differently everywhere.
    Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black. You were so quick to correct someone on their grammar, yet when corrected yourself all you could respond with was "Allllrighty then. I'm not even going to dignify that with a response", like you were above any kind of reproach.

    That being said, I'm not saying you can't correct someone. You just better make sure that you examine yourself first before you do.
    Tom Warshaw
    Station 13 (Bethel)
    Sumter Fire Department

    "Scientists believe that the world is composed mainly of hydrogen because in their opinion, it is the most abundant element. I however, feel the earth is composed mainly of stupidity, because it is more abundant than hydrogen." - Frank Zappa

    September 11, 2001. We Must Never Forget.

    In memory of Thomas Sabella, L-13, FDNY


    All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my department or any organization I may belong to.

  20. #20
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Far Northern California
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Hi my name is ryan i am a capt. in our explorer post. We are explorer post 955 we are a well known and very well respected post throught california, 90% of our explorers go on the get hired as full time firefighters,in the last two years we have had 10 explorers hired as firefighters.

    we have a 6 month probation period once explorers are off probation explorers can ride a long of they have passed the ride a long tests

    we can ride a long if you have passed all the ride a long tests they are engine ID`s on both our engines,be able to don your turnouts on 60 sec.,be able to don an SCBA in 1 min 15 sec, be fit tested, have an up to date physical,and be CPR/AED certified, i ride a long almost every weekend, we can spend the night at the fire house which i usually do, when we are on calls we do alot people think when explorers ride they are just there to watch but we are right there doing what the firefighters are doins we hold c collars, we can start an IV, we can give a pt. oxygen ive done most of there things on calls, ive also carred a pt. to a helicopter, so we dont just stay bad and watch.
    www.wildlandfire.com
    Up To Date Wildland Fire Information

  21. #21
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rawbff15
    we can start an IV
    Before people jump down your throat, you might want to clarify that statement. Here, in NC, EMT-Basics can't even start an IV. We can set up the IV, but as an EMT-B, I CAN'T actually place the IV in the pt.
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

  22. #22
    Forum Member
    explr985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    the other end of all that LDH...........
    Posts
    791

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rawbff15
    we can start an IV


    Do WHAT!!!!!!??????????
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

    IACOJ 2003

  23. #23
    Forum Member
    backsteprescue123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,319

    Default

    Yeah, could you clarify that?
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

  24. #24
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Far Northern California
    Posts
    119

    Default

    sorry we can spike a IV bag the hand it to the medic sorry for the confusion
    www.wildlandfire.com
    Up To Date Wildland Fire Information

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Psychological test questions
    By dmfireschool in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-15-2003, 05:53 PM
  2. Stupied Questions
    By Airborne in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-12-2003, 09:59 PM
  3. 5 questions + 1199a
    By wrfd9113 in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-11-2002, 10:59 AM
  4. Questions for new NFPA President
    By webteam in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-01-2002, 06:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register