Forum Member

Thumbs up Lasik vs contacs/glasses

Hey guys...
    Im debating on whether or not I should get lasik surgery. I've heard of some of the negative sides of it, mainly the night blindness and the halos. I was wanting to get some input about it though. Has anyone had lasik done and if so do you have halos or night blindness? Does it effect you at all and what does it look like?
    My other option is getting contacs or just keep my glasses. The doc recommended lasik considering my choice of career.
    Any additional input is appreciated. Any comments or what nots you have about lasik.. let's hear it.
    Thanks much,
    Tim

Forum Member

I don't know how helpful I will be with the fire side of this, but I had corrective surgery in August. I didn't have lasik, but I had a procedure done called PRK. It's basically lasik without opening a flap. I have had no problems so far and can't imagine going back to contacs or glasses. I'm trying to get on with Columbus Fire right now, so hopefully everything will turn out ok. They told me that having the surgery was acceptable. I don't know how old you are, but I just turned 23 and my age wasn't a problem.

Forum Member

My wife had LASIK about 6 years ago.

She went from 20/400+ to 20/20!

There is no "night blindness" that I have EVER heard of. There is a side effect of halos around lights at night. She said it was similar to the halos you see when there is a light fog at night. Nothing worse.

She was told the halos would diminish over time, and sure enough, within 6-8 months, they were completely gone.

I am considering LASIK myself. I do wear glasses, I am 20/15 with them and about 20/40 uncorrected. That may not sound too bad, but I was 20/10 when I was younger and I really notice the difference without my glasses. Not to mention the fact that I ABSOLUTELY HATE wearing glasses!!!!!

I hope this helps with your question.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Thanks guys I really appreciate the responses... I was looking though previous threads regarding lasik and came across this... Apparently FDA has this new corrective lens that is surgically implanted in front of your natural lens, therefore its reversible. That looks pretty interesting was wondering if anyone had anymore info on it. I have a info meeting set up with the doc this thursday, both of my cousins got it done by him. Soooo, well see what he says and what the options are and the future holds. I might just take the jump and do it.
    Also, it seems that the halos have all gone away and night blindness ceases to exist in all of the threads I have read. Hopefully they've come a long way with this procedure and those arent a problem anymore.
    Is there anyway to wear glasses or contacs with the scba? I was thinking and I dont think I'll be able to do lasik this year because my eye perscription changed since my last visit.
    Thanks again,
    Tim
    Last edited by Pancho; 10-16-2006 at 09:47 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pancho
    Also, it seems that the halos have all gone away and night blindness ceases to exist in all of the threads I have read. Hopefully they've come a long way with this procedure and those aren't a problem anymore.
    Thanks again,
    Tim
    Tim,

The halos, as it was explained to me, are a result of the reshaping of the eye itself, and diminish over time as the eye completely heals.

Your doctor will be able to explain it in full detail...Don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you need. If he/she doesn't want to take the time to explain every aspect of the surgery, find another doctor!

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Good point =). Anyone have any agencies recommended?
    My cousins had it done through LasikPlus which is who I'm going to talk to this Thursday.

Thanks,
    Tim

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pancho
    Is there anyway to wear glasses or contacs with the scba?
    Sure.. I wear contacts and I've worked with guys that wear glasses. I've never had a problem with my contacts. I am, however, considering getting the surgery myself! I'm just not too fond of having someone/something cut into my eye!
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Forum Member

I'm lazy so i will copy my response from previous eye surgery / lasik threads:

I'd been stuck wearing glasses since I was in fourth grade. For 14 years, I had to have those stupid things stuck to my head. They fall off. The screws come apart. They fog up when you get out of a car. They fog up when you put safety goggles on (like for extrications). And I had to take them off for SCBA meaning i am blind. My vision was about 20/600. You know that giant E on the eye chart? It was just a black blur. My eye doctor stopped telling me what the number was because it was too high to matter.

Back in March '04, I had laser vision correction. I can not begin to describe the difference. My vision is now 20/15. No problems day or night. Nothing to fog up. Nothing to break. Nothing to get in the way. AND I CAN SEE WITH AN SCBA MASK ON. I can wear normal sunglasses. I can fall asleep watching TV and not worry about rolling over and breaking them. I can see the alarm clock in the morning (wait, I don't want to see that...). It is like a whole new world. I can't remember life before glasses because I had them so long. Hell, I didn't even know what I looked like without glasses because if I took them off to look in a mirror, I couldn't see anything.

I highly recomend anyone who wants to see again, do yourself a favor and at least look into it.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    I'd been stuck wearing glasses since I was in fourth grade. For 14 years, I had to have those stupid things stuck to my head. They fall off. The screws come apart. They fog up when you get out of a car. They fog up when you put safety goggles on (like for extrications). And I had to take them off for SCBA meaning i am blind. My vision was about 20/600. You know that giant E on the eye chart? It was just a black blur. My eye doctor stopped telling me what the number was because it was too high to matter.

Back in March '04, I had laser vision correction. I can not begin to describe the difference. My vision is now 20/15. No problems day or night. Nothing to fog up. Nothing to break. Nothing to get in the way. AND I CAN SEE WITH AN SCBA MASK ON. I can wear normal sunglasses. I can fall asleep watching TV and not worry about rolling over and breaking them. I can see the alarm clock in the morning (wait, I don't want to see that...). It is like a whole new world. I can't remember life before glasses because I had them so long. Hell, I didn't even know what I looked like without glasses because if I took them off to look in a mirror, I couldn't see anything.

I highly recomend anyone who wants to see again, do yourself a favor and at least look into it.
    That sounds like an infomercial... where's the 800 number?!

Forum Member

They do have kits for scba to put glasses in, I now it use to be, not sure if it was changed, but you were not aloud to wear contacts with SCBA, has this changed or not?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FTMPTB15
    That sounds like an infomercial... where's the 800 number?!
    Hah, I'm not publishing my cell number. But if you PM me, I'll give it to you. ACT NOW! OPERATORS ARE STANDING BY!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by djgilbert32
    They do have kits for scba to put glasses in, I now it use to be, not sure if it was changed, but you were not aloud to wear contacts with SCBA, has this changed or not?
    That may depend on the jurisdiction. In Montgomery Co (MD) there's no restriction on wearing contacts with SCBA. I've never had a problem with my contacts while on air/in smoky environments. (A couple of times one's temporarily floated out of position while going underwater during water rescue training, but blinked back where it belonged.)

You can't wear glasses under SCBA because it breaks the facepiece seal, but as you mentioned there are kits to fit the lenses into facepieces.

Forum Member

I had RK (Radial Keratomy) surgery back in 94. My eyesight was 20/400. with the RK surgery it went to 20/60. I still wear contact lens with no problem. I would like to try lasik but do not know if i would be a canidate. My eye doctor is no longer doing any kind of eye surgery. But RK has worked well for me!

MembersZone Subscriber

My experience with Laser Eye Surgery - I had my eyes done in 1998 for approx $2500 per eye (Canadian!). I had no problems with halo or night driving but I eventually had to get glasses again about 6 years later. I had surgery AGAIN on both eyes about 2 years ago and all is good. No night driving problem, no halo. I'm hoping this will last longer than 6 years.

Permanently Removed

I had RK (pre-laser) in 1993. My eyes were 20/200+. Thirteen years later, just got checked and still 20/10!

Yup, best career decision I ever made.

Forum Member

Default Just had it done!!!

I just had Wavefront Lasik done 1 month ago. Prior to this I was about -1.75 diopters (20/200 uncorrected) and now I see about 20/15. Healing time was about 48 hours before my eyes felt back to "normal". I saw 20/20 the day after surgery, and have had absolutely no halo's or night vision problems. My wife just had it done last week, and she saw 20/15 the day after the surgery (she was -6.5 diopters before the surgery).

My brother is also a firefighter and had traditional lasik done about 8 years ago. He says he has some halo's, and now has to use reading glasses when looking at maps in the middle of the night. My understanding is that wavefront helps to reduce the halo's and negative effects. I know of 2 other people at my department that have had it done, both of them absolutely love it.

Obviously there is the potential for serious vision issues, but the statistics don't really bear this out (unless you are that 1 person in 1,000!). In short, I think Lasik is a no brainer for firefighters. Perhaps the Union's can negotiate bulk discounts

Hope this helps,

Mike

Forum Member

As for as agencies go, I had mine done with lasikplus in columbus. I chose that office because it is a national agency and you can get a lifetime enhancement plan. If you ever need an enhancement down the road you can get it for free. You only have to pay around $200 more per eye.

Forum Member

Sounds like halos and night vision are non existent anymore. My appointment is set for this Thursday. Fire academy starts in January 17 or 22, not sure if this is going to interfere.
    Sounds like a good deal all in all though..

Thanks for the comments guys, if you have more they are more than welcomed.
    Thanks,
    Tim

Forum Member

I should add what kind of effects I had during/after. My eyes have always been hypersensitive to ANYTHING going near them, even my own hands. This is why I could never have contacts. I am really bad, I go nuts when anything is near my eyes. My regular optomitrist hates me.

The numbing drops they put in your eyes for the surgery helps A LOT. But that thing they clamp on your head sure is wierd. It doesn't hurt. But it isn't soothing either. Well worth the 15 mintues of slight discomfort though. It was kinda cool, after the laser is done and they are smoothing over the conea flap, your eyes are flooded with water as they smooth it out with this q-tip looking thing. It is actually touching your eyeball. You can see it. You know it is there. Any other time, you would be fighting like hell. But you don't feel a thing. It is just neat.

I had the procedure at 4pm. My vision was blury and sensitive to light for the rest of the night. The irritation and "forign body sensation" was gone by 9pm. When I woke up the next morning, it was clear as day and NO irritation. No halos or flashing. No night vision problems. Nothing. Day after checkup at 10am was 20/15. The first thing I did was buy sunglasses.

Forum Member

Ive always heard that the one serious side effect of Lasik is un-correctable double vision. If its true, I certainly wouldnt risk it. Then again, Id wear coke bottle thick glasses before Id let anyone mess with my eyes. But thats just me. The eyes are one of two areas on my person that I dont want sharp objects around.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

The only time I've ever seen double is with the help of a few too many Daquaris.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    The only time I've ever seen double is with the help of a few too many Daquaris.
    Umm... your manhood called, it wants you back.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FTMPTB15
    Umm... your manhood called, it wants you back.
    LMAO!

Not to self: Never admit to drinking daquaris!
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

I used to agree with Dave ..about my eyes ............but in 2002 I took the plunge and got Lasik. I have had no trouble, halos, double vision etc etc .........form 20/400+ to 20/40. I am really happy I did do it .............and nm........I love ya man ....but thats FUNNY !!!!
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

A few years ago I got laser eye surgery, and I LOVE IT! The main reason I did it was because during night calls I would be wearing my glasses and it was just a pain. So, I decided to get the surgery and afterwards it was amazing. I don't need to put in my contacts in the morning or take them out at night, I don't drop them and spend 10 minutes glaring at the sink and floor trying to find it, and I don't need glasses that can fall off and break.

My eye sight before the surgery was bad, very bad. One pair of contacts - just one pair - cost me over $200. I just got my eyes tested and I have 20/30 vision. Though there was a lot of pain after the surgery for about four hours, I don't regret it. I have only experienced minor side effects:

1. Six to eight months after the surgery my eyes were dry often, I used eye drops.

2. For a year or so at night I was unable to read small print such as a magazine or menu. It's been over two years now and my sight is better at night, but not perfect.

3. Lights at night have a slight halo around them, it's nothing distracting. But, a side effect regardless.

I was very scared to get surgery on my eyes, I mean..these are my eyes we're talking about. But, after doing a ton of research and speaking with people who've received it I got it. It's great, I love it! And when it comes to Firefighting it's just nice to not have to worry about your contacts moving around, falling out, or your glasses moving or breaking.

Thread Information