Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum Idea

Default Forum Idea

A while ago (in a thread I think has been deleted) I brought up the idea of creating a closed forum for firefighters only. The forum would be a place where only firefighters/retired firefighters could post. This concept has already been in practise at officer.com with their "Squad Room" forum where only sworn officers can discuss topics relative to them.

If we do create a private or restricted access forum on fh.com, it would give some of us the piece of mind that the person you are talking to on the other end of the keyboard is truely a firefighter or emergency service person. (THINK OF IT, no more Chool's and/or other nerdy trolls )

I believe that this concept is not hard to impliment, given that people are ok with faxing a piece of identification to fh.com to verify status and have access to said forum.

Again this is only an idea, thus I'm hoping to generate positive discussion in hopes of bettering the forums in general. Perhaps the webteam can look at this thread and take any discussions we have about the forums and use them to better our community.

Please tell me what you think?

former FH.com member

I like the idea. As it is now I am very skeptical of 90% of the postings/posters here. If I want sound input I go to the other website.

MembersZone Subscriber

Definately a good idea
    IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Sounds like a logistical nightmare for FH. How do you convert the hundreds of thousands of current members? That's a LOT of admin work.

As far as I know, the guest issue is a computer glitch with registration. If I'm understanding the process correctly, a person registers and can then post. They only show as guests until some mysterious electronic thingy makes them "unguests". I don't believe that anyone on the FH team actually review or approve individual registrations. I could be wrong, but I don't think "guests" in the real sense can post.

And isn't there already a "Members Only" program in place ... the Members Zone?

I can understand you all wanting a Firefighters Only forum, but you must know deep down that it won't keep out the mutts and trolls. It might keep out the civilian conspiracy theorists but that's about it. Don't forget many of our "favorite" mutts have been, unfortunately, affiliated with the fire service.

Well, some initials thoughts on the subject.

I'd hate it of course, because then I couldn't take part.
    Last edited by RspctFrmCalgary; 10-16-2006 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Typo
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Do students count as mutts. If so I am a mutt then.
    J
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Forum Member

***For those interested***

To add Klienbergtruth to your IGNORE list, simply click on his name under the thread that he started. Something about a "Petition.."

Don't click on the thread, click on his NAME. It'll take you to his profile. Above "Contact Info." you will see "Add klienbergtruth to your Ignore List." CLICK this and then click SUBMIT. That'll take care of the problem... for now..
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

I created this topic, not necessairly to endorse my idea, but to create a spark to encourage others to speak up with newer and bolder ideas on how to better the fh.com community. We are the users of the community, thus can we not help to shape our path?

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

I just hope people keep the thread civil and don't turn it into a bashing session against other users and/or the webteam. I think you have started the topic in a respectful manner and hope it generates some good discussion.

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Here's hoping
    Last edited by Thaddie; 10-17-2006 at 12:12 AM.

Hey ya coulda waited until I fixed my typo before quoting me LOL!! Now EVERYONE can see it!

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

fixed my bad...

That's not a bad idea at all.

I wish it could be done but I think it would be a nightmare for the WT.

How would you verify being a firefighter or not? Someone would have to grant permission to you after they check you out. That would take forever and be such a headache I don't think it could be possible.

And you're right Sheri, you and lots of other people that are good people and not mutts, wouldn't be able to be included in it. Don't worry, me still love you long time!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Wouldn't it be easier to just ignore the people who are here for nothing but starting trouble? What you want would be a logistical disaster and there would be no way to confirm anyone's credentials.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Quote Originally Posted by SAFD46Truck
    I like the idea. As it is now I am very skeptical of 90% of the postings/posters here. If I want sound input I go to the other website.

Well said.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

I think the logistics would be a nightmare. I think we are pretty good at weeding out the knobs vs. the nozzlemen in here.

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary
    As far as I know, the guest issue is a computer glitch with registration. If I'm understanding the process correctly, a person registers and can then post. They only show as guests until some mysterious electronic thingy makes them "unguests". I don't believe that anyone on the FH team actually review or approve individual registrations. I could be wrong, but I don't think "guests" in the real sense can post.
    I do believe you are correct. It would be much easier for the FH WT to fix the glitch with the registration programming. IMHO guest should be allowed to view post but should not be allowed to start a thread or reply to a post. Once the guest moves on to become a member if they are spewing garbage "we" can simply ignore them.

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary
    I'd hate it of course, because then I couldn't take part.
    So would the rest of us who appreciate the support and understanding that you show all public safety workers.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaddie
    If we do create a private or restricted access forum on fh.com, it would give some of us the piece of mind that the person you are talking to on the other end of the keyboard is truely a firefighter or emergency service person. (THINK OF IT, no more Chool's and/or other nerdy trolls )
    I'm not really in favor of a private "firefighter's only forum" for a variety of reasons.
    1.) Some who post here may not be a FF but still provide valuable information on relavent topics such as apparatus, pumps, and other technical issues.
    2.) Chool's, trolls, mutt's, and other abominations of legitamet posters exist only because "we" allow them to. For example the rash of conspiracy theorist that have currently invaded the forums are still around because "we" responded to their post. Once these types of post are found then one member should reply to the post simply warning other members of a troll alert and that the post and poster has been reported to the web team. If no one else responded then either the WT would handle it or the troll would starve to death. Either way we win.
    3.) What happens to those who have access to the private area but for what ever reason are no longer a member of a dept? Who notifies the WT? What about retiree's and those that are in between depts?
    4.) We don't need a private area to ensure that we are talking to a "real firefighter" it's been my expierence that the phony one's don't last to long and are usually exposed quite quickly.
    5.) And lastly if we seperate ourselves from the public how long does anyone think it will take before someone suggest the idea that there be seperate private forums for career and volunteer's. I can think of several posters on here that would love to do that very thing.

Just my thoughts on it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jlcooke3
    I'm not really in favor of a private "firefighter's only forum" for a variety of reasons.
    1.) Some who post here may not be a FF but still provide valuable information on relavent topics such as apparatus, pumps, and other technical issues.
    2.) Chool's, trolls, mutt's, and other abominations of legitamet posters exist only because "we" allow them to. For example the rash of conspiracy theorist that have currently invaded the forums are still around because "we" responded to their post. Once these types of post are found then one member should reply to the post simply warning other members of a troll alert and that the post and poster has been reported to the web team. If no one else responded then either the WT would handle it or the troll would starve to death. Either way we win.
    3.) What happens to those who have access to the private area but for what ever reason are no longer a member of a dept? Who notifies the WT? What about retiree's and those that are in between depts?
    4.) We don't need a private area to ensure that we are talking to a "real firefighter" it's been my expierence that the phony one's don't last to long and are usually exposed quite quickly.
    5.) And lastly if we seperate ourselves from the public how long does anyone think it will take before someone suggest the idea that there be seperate private forums for career and volunteer's. I can think of several posters on here that would love to do that very thing.

Just my thoughts on it.
    I agree 100% I am a new volunteer who reads more than post, I am learning every time I log on. What exactly would you need to discuss in a private area that cannot be discussed openly? I appreciate the knowledge and ideas I have picked up so far. Idiots are everywhere and will continue to be, if they weren't we wouldn't need as many FF/EMS folks!! Thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I am not really sure I am in agreement here. I understand the concept and the reasoning behind the suggestion, but as Sheri has pointed out more than a few of those who meet the criteria of "Mutt" or "S.Disturber" are actually memebers of the fire community. That said ......
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

This brings up another point. Some forum software allow for a forum (such as firefighting discussion) to be set up so everyone can read but only "authorized users" can post... Then again, you folks are right, logistics sort of rule this out.
    Firefighter
    Eureka District Fire Department

Forum Member

We need better leaders

Too much and for too long we seem to have surrendered personal excellence and community values in the mere accumulation of material things. Our gross national product now is over $800 billion a year.

But that gross national product, if we judge the United States of America by that, counts air pollution, and cigarette advertising, and ambulances to clear our highways of carnage. It counts special locks for our doors, and the jails for people who break them. It counts the destruction of redwoods and the loss of our natural wonder in chaotic sprawl. It counts napalm and it counts nuclear warheads, and armored cars for the police to fight the riots in our cities. It counts Whitman's rifle and Speck's knife, and the television programs which glorify violence in order to sell toys to our children.

Yet the gross national product does not allow for the health of our children, the quality of their education, or they joy of their play. It does not include the beauty of our poetry or the strength of our marriages, the intelligence of our public debate or the integrity of our public officials. It measures neither our wit nor our courage, neither our wisdom nor our learning, neither our passion nor our devotion to our country.

It measures everything, in short, except that which makes life worthwhile. And it can tell us everything about America - except why we are proud that we are Americans.

Robert F Kennedy Quoted three months before he was assassinated .

Thread Information