MembersZone Subscriber

Default Problem with spud

So we have had a problem recently with people coming on as guests and posting about political conspiracy BS. So I have a few ideas to fix this.
    1: Make a new forum with just political talks. Make sure to monitor other threads to make sure no spud (the name that I have given those types) posts elsewhere.
    2: Make all guest posts go through the webteam before publicly posting on pages. You can edit for content and language. You will admit half of the problems that require webteam intervention are with guests.
    Any other ideas to get rid of spud?
    J
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Forum Member

Just my thoughts Firehouse should be free of forums on religion and politics, topics will just about aways start fights.

DON'T LET THE PEST, I MEAN GUEST POST, THAT WILL GET RID OF MOST OF THE PROBLEMS, AND LET SOME OF THE MORE RESPECTED MEMBERS OF THESE FORUMS ACT AS WEB TEAM. LET THEM DELETE THESE THREADS BEFORE THEY GET OUT OF HAND.
    FOR HE WHO SERVES HIS FELLOWS IS OF ALL HIS FELLOWS GREATEST

IACOJ

Forum Member

Well... since I doubt the messages that I send are actually being read by the Webteam. (to clarify, the messages I type when I "report a post") I think putting some 'power' in the member's hands would be a wise decision. All this political B.S. spam lately is really starting to ruin the boards... QUICKLY.

Here's my idea...
    Give a handful of members the ability to implement a "Spam lock" on threads that are deemed as unrelated to the Fire Service. No.. contrary to popular belief.. the 9/11 conspiracy theories are NOT related to the Fire Service. PERIOD.

A "Spam Lock" would basically lock a thread until the WebTeam is able to review the thread. IF the WebTeam deems the thread to be appropriate, they can overturn the lock and open the thread back up. However, I doubt they would see the 9/11 conspiracy theory threads as appropriate. I think that this would help reduce the number of BS threads started by these BS guests/unapproved members. Once the thread has been locked, it will no longer appear... UNLESS the WT decides to open it back up.

That's my .02.... I think that might help... although, it would require the WT to 'empower' some of it's members. Who knows how that will go over..
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Forum Member

Just a note... the members that appear as "guests" are actually people who have signed up as members, but have not yet been "approved." Something like that...!

At least, that's how I understand it!

Forum Member

If we could simply click on "ignore" with guests, like we can with registered posters, this problem would disappear.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl
    If we could simply click on "ignore" with guests, like we can with registered posters, this problem would disappear.
    Exactly... I wish they could make it that these people couldn't post on here UNTIL they are an "official" member.

Forum Member

Then you can become a mindless drone of the state ..

The truth will come out it always does ......

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by klienbergtruth

SPUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    J
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Forum Member

You're too late we are already mindless drones of the state. You are just wasting your time there is no help for us.

SO GO PLAY IN TRAFFIC, MUTT.
    FOR HE WHO SERVES HIS FELLOWS IS OF ALL HIS FELLOWS GREATEST

IACOJ

Forum Member

FTMPTB (click to see what it means)

Forum Member

***For those interested***

To add Klienbergtruth to your IGNORE list, simply click on his name under the thread that he started. Something about a "Petition.."

Don't click on the thread, click on his NAME. It'll take you to his profile. Above "Contact Info." you will see "Add klienbergtruth to your Ignore List." CLICK this and then click SUBMIT. That'll take care of the problem... for now..

Hook & Can

Last edited by Nine3Probie; 07-28-2013 at 06:58 PM.

Forum Member

The registration system on this forum has been broken for years. They haven't bothered fixing it despite how many problems it causes. When the problems start, it takes two weeks for a human being on the webteam to respond to it. People have been complaining about this for just as long as it has been an issue (years). I don't expect it to change anytime soon. Until Firehouse.com creates a forum management team with adequate staffing and fixes stupid and simple programming issues, nothing will ever change.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Id be very much in favor of some senior members having more power to moderate the stupidity that gets posted here. Hey, if people want to do it for free, why not?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FTMPTB15
    ***For those interested***

To add Klienbergtruth to your IGNORE list, simply click on his name under the thread that he started. Something about a "Petition.."

Don't click on the thread, click on his NAME. It'll take you to his profile. Above "Contact Info." you will see "Add klienbergtruth to your Ignore List." CLICK this and then click SUBMIT. That'll take care of the problem... for now..
    Doesn't work for me.

Forum Member

A lot of forums are managed this way. Do you think AOL pays all of those people that are "monitors" in those chat rooms? No. You could give people that have been around a long time or submitted a lot of posts be the first people to be the moderators. Heck, it's not too hard, even with being new who are the guys who have been around for a while. I like the idea of the SPAM lock. That should be easy to implement.

The other option would be to have a type of popularity vote for submitters. So if a "SPUD" gets on you could give him a thumbs down and if they got a certain amount of thumbs down marks, they would be suspended or removed. This doesn't get rid of the fact that they could come back with another user name (all blogs, forums face this problem), but it would also help IMHO.

DPH

MembersZone Subscriber

Default How to cook a spud

Well, we can deep fry them like Frech Fries, Boil and than mash them, Wrap them in foil put them in a camp fire till they burn, Leave them in the closet and forget about them for a month, should be pretty ripe by than.
    Do you have any other ideas???

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

And here all this time I thought you were referring to a problem with someone from P.E.I.

So now the question has to be asked: How many threads have to be created regarding:

1) how many complaints can be lodged against persons who are "guests" until approved by the WT; and

2) how many times suggestions to "ignore" them have to posted?

This topic is becoming more than just a little tiresome, particularly with the number of "dud" threads created in Its Name.

As an Esteemed Colleague of ours would say.... "Sir, we are Over Here." ---->

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...467#post728467

or

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...464#post728464

Another not quite so famous quote from a more famous personage:

"You greedy A44ed, fence sitting...(OXOXXOX)! Pick an orafice and stick to it."
    (My apologies to Dennis Miller if I didnt quite say it right.)
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Well........

Quote Originally Posted by quint1officer
    Id be very much in favor of some senior members having more power to moderate the stupidity that gets posted here. Hey, if people want to do it for free, why not?
    OK, Please let's not start a "Paid moderator vs Vollie Moderator" thread...... If that happens, I'll have to bring out my "Smoothbore" Moderator adjuster. After all my smoothbore works better than those Fog things..............
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Default Here's an idea

when these types post, do not reply, at all, soon enough he'll tire of being ignored and the post will die of it's own accord, it'll only work if everybody plays along.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=MalahatTwo7]And here all this time I thought you were referring to a problem with someone from P.E.I. ........... [QUOTE]

Hey !!! I resemble that remark !!!

Pat in ..... PEI !!!

Forum Member

The "just ignore the idiot" theory always sounds great on paper. But in reality, it will never work. There isn't a form in existance on the internet where that works. That is why there are forum moderators at any frequently visited forum... except this one. The moderators nip those problems in the but before they become an issue. But here, there is one group of administrators that show up once a week at the most and the place goes to hell.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Lightbulb

The key here would be to give some of the forum "veterans" moderator status. Firehouse.com can choose who they would like, and I feel that a lot of the problematic threads can be nipped in the bud.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Hook & Can

Last edited by Nine3Probie; 07-28-2013 at 06:53 PM.

Permanently Removed

Unhappy Local Portage Hello earth to anyone this is very serious matter ..

[QUOTE=mcfd45] I need ur help . I danced with a sex offender and had no clue he was one in the first place NOW I SAY HELLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

Thread Information