Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Reading Material

Well, Like the title says, I'm looking for some reading material regarding the fire department. Just lay it on me, hero stories, great study material, training guides. I want it all. Any and all suggestions you have to either help with career progression or just plain motivation!

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, Like the title says, I'm looking for some reading material regarding the fire department. Just lay it on me, hero stories, great study material, training guides. I want it all. Any and all suggestions you have to either help with career progression or just plain motivation!
    Well tell us alittle about yourself? Where are you from are you looking to get into to fire service ETC..?
    IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tann3100
    Well tell us alittle about yourself? Where are you from are you looking to get into to fire service ETC..?
    I am strongly looking into getting into fire service. I already have the medical background (Corpsman in the navy, EMT ... etc), and I'm currently applying to get on with a volunteer department right now while I'm still in the navy. In addition, my father and uncle are volunteer firefighters, and my grand pap just retired from the city department.

When I go to all of the local book stores around, they have NOTHING on firefighting and are always asking which books I want to order. Of course they can quote a great list, but that means nothing to me without knowing which books are the "must reads".

So, thats why I'm looking for all the information that I can get.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by kamon8404
    I am strongly looking into getting into fire service. I already have the medical background (Corpsman in the navy, EMT ... etc), and I'm currently applying to get on with a volunteer department right now while I'm still in the navy. In addition, my father and uncle are volunteer firefighters, and my grand pap just retired from the city department.

When I go to all of the local book stores around, they have NOTHING on firefighting and are always asking which books I want to order. Of course they can quote a great list, but that means nothing to me without knowing which books are the "must reads".

So, thats why I'm looking for all the information that I can get.

Well bro for the BOOK fundamentals of firefighting ETC pick this book up http://www.amazon.com/Essentials-Fir...891110?ie=UTF8.

As far as history and brotherhood of firefighting there are some great books out there. One that I enjoyed reading and has been brought up here several times is "Last Men Out" by tom downey. As said there are many others. You can search www.amazon.com for some good reads.
    IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=79871

That thread has some good suggestions, as well as some links to additional suggestions.
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Forum Member

Awesome thanks man.

Anyone else?

BUMP!

Forum Member

Default The Brave

I loved George Pickett's "The Brave". Great book. See if you can find anything by Leo D. Stapleton, he has some good stories as well.

Forum Member

A great book to read is The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership. Its not actually a fire service book, but is a great read for any company officer or anyone wanting to take on a leadership role someday. I had to read it for my College Fire Officer 3 class. Great motivational read.
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

Forum Member

Firefighters from the Heart: True Stories and Lessons Learned (Paperback)
    by Steve Chikerotis
    I think so far you can only get it on Amazon.com. Excellent book. It is several true stories and at the end of each story is a list of lessons learned from the incident.

Forum Member

Well thanks for all the input, I just picked up: report from ground zero by dennis smith. I was just paging through the intro so far, and its looking to be a great read. Keep em coming, and I'll keep you updated.

Thread Information