Thread: ChainSaw Light

MembersZone Subscriber

Default ChainSaw Light

Does anyone have any opinions on this new light?

http://www.efiretech.com

Forum Member

I suppose there was a need to post this in two different forum locations. Cant think of one though...
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

I guess being new to this forum I misunderstood some of the finer points of posting in forums. After I post 3, 577 posts I may get the hang of it. Sorry to have posted in differant locations, my mistake.

MembersZone Subscriber

nastarb

We tried them, and found they aren't that great.They aren't that bright and there in the way of the brake handle. Just my opion.

IACOJ BOD

I have a bridge, vely vely cheap, do you good price.

Whats wrong with a helmet light?
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've been lookin for a bridge....how much you sellin for?? I'd rather used a regular flashlight than add a fancy gadget to my saw...
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

IACOJ BOD

Ever noticed how the more bells you add to stuff, the less it works.

Chain Saw.

Big hairy LOUD Mota, and sharp fast moving bits out the FRONT.

All you need. Anything else is fluff.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber

I just have the other guy on the roof with me hold the box light.

Permanently Removed

I like the idea of the light on the saw. But...The Strealmight on my coat lights up the roof very nicely.

And- I thought the "jake brake" was on the engine and trucks, not the saw?

Lastly- I still like the idea of a light on a saw. Wish I would have thought of that.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU
    I like the idea of the light on the saw. But...The Strealmight on my coat lights up the roof very nicely.

And- I thought the "jake brake" was on the engine and trucks, not the saw?

Lastly- I still like the idea of a light on a saw. Wish I would have thought of that.

After I picked my self from the floor after laughing my self from my chair.

A light on a chain saw? How wonderful. Whats going to keep the saw dust and or debris off the light lens? I am like Bro here, a light on the turn out does just as well, beside, I wasn't planning on getting a chain saw in my hands. Thats is what I have company members for and I'd bet they would laugh their old arz's off if we bought saws with lights on them.

Jake brake? Ummm like Bro here, I always thought that these were on transmissions on apparatus and not on chain saws. I'd like to hear that when you applied it. A sound something like the one on the apparatus I guess???
    OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001
    343 Brothers Who Were MURDERED!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Chainsaw Light

Ok, I am lost, whats the deal with the JAKE BRAKE ?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Jake Brake?

I knew chain saws had a chain brake, but a jake brake?

MembersZone Subscriber

Where did jake brake enter this topic? By the way (Allineedisu) a Jake Brake has nothing to do with the transmission. It's on the exhaust or the manifold.Just thought you might like to know.
    Last edited by CpaceEng1; 10-19-2006 at 09:32 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CpaceEng1
    Where did jake brake enter this topic? By the way (Allineedisu) a Jake Brake has nothing to do with the transmission. It's on the exhaust or the manifold.Just thought you might like to know.
    I am with this guy, Jake brake has nothing to do with at tranny.

MembersZone Subscriber

I do like the website though. Where else can you get your chainsaw light while shopping for Avon also? I wonder if they have the cologne in the bottle that's shaped like a fire truck!

Forum Member

I need some investors- Here's what I propose:

1. I want to find a company that makes plastic injection-molded spatulas. I will but several cases of them. (preferably white in color)

2. If they are not white, I'll buy white and black spray paint. Paint them white with black spots.

3. Have a printer make some scotchlite labels, with a maltese cross, or in the shape of a maltese cross- "Official Fire Department Dalmatian Pooper Scooper, UL Blacklisted, NFPA, OSHA, ANSI, ASTM DISSAPROVED"

4. Set up tables at every wacker show across the land.

5. Count piles of wacker money all the way to the bank.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

It's a nice idea but probably impractical. I know a couple of the local hotshot crews got some to try them out a couple years ago. No one is using them so I'm guessing they either didn't hold up or just were not useful.

Personally I don't want anything messing with the brake handle, if I have to move fast or start to lose my balance the last thing I want to worry about is whether the chain is still moving. We have headlamps, between that and the fire I've always had enough light to work.

I'm guessing there was some editing? I don't see where the jake brake comment came from either, unless it was in reference to the jakes will break it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Response to Question

For those that responded to my question like adults, thanks for your replies.

Forum Member

To quote Sgt. Hulka from Stripes...
    Lighten up, Francis!
    To answer your question about the light on the saw...

While it replaces the chain brake, A Kohler Responder/BigEd/Streamlight Survivor/Pelican light clipped to a coat or the ever popular Garrity LifeLight (endorsed by FDNY jake Ray Karpaviscius ) attached to your lid can serve the same purpose. A handlight that clipped to one's coat or lid gets checked more often than the light on a saw would.

It's a "nice to have", but not a "need to have".
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

It's on the exhaust or the manifold.Just thought you might like to know.
    Wow, I think you people need to read up on the ever popular "jake brake" to actually understand what it is.......

It has very little if not anything to do with the exhaust or manifold of the vehicle.

"When the accelerator is released on a truck its forward momentum continues to turn the crankshaft and compress air inside the engine's cylinders. When the crankshaft passes the top-dead-center position the compressed air in the cylinder acts as a spring and pushes the piston back down the cylinder, returning the energy to the crankshaft and pushing the truck forward. Little of the energy absorbed by compressing the air is lost, so the engine does not effectively aid in slowing the truck. In a gasoline engine, some engine braking is provided during closed-throttle operation due to the work required to maintain intake manifold vacuum. Diesel engines, however, are unthrottled and hence do not provide engine braking from throttling losses. A compression release engine brake uses a solenoid to open the exhaust valve at the top of the compression stroke. This releases the compressed air in the cylinder preventing it from returning its energy back to the piston and accordingly, the vehicle.

The driver controls consist of an on/off switch and, sometimes, a multi-position switch that controls the number of cylinders which the brake is active on. When the compression release engine brake is turned on, it will activate when the driver releases the accelerator. There is also a switch on the clutch pedal that will deactivate the compression brake when the clutch is disengaged.

Compression release engine brakes may make a loud chattering or machine gun noise while being used, which has led many communities to ban them. There are signs on the side of some freeway offramps, or at municipal boundaries, that will say "No jake braking", "Engine brakes restricted", etc. These signs are referring to compression release engine brakes. This has led to special mufflers on trucks that also muffle the sound of the compression release engine brake."
    Last edited by firefightergtp; 10-22-2006 at 03:47 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

That's great FFgtp, but what the hell does that have to do with chainsaw lights?

(Just kidding, I had to do it. )
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

FFgtp

Obviously you read this and have no mechanical knowledge.The exhaust valve is part of the exhaust as is the manifold. If you want to correct someone please don't just google it,have some working knowledge of the subject. Thanks for playing.

Thread Information