Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default This Is Rhetorical

And the intent is just to bring on some discussion. I am not trying to create a mud slinging fest - only to try and maybe understand something.

I just finished reading the news about the 5 soldiers from Fort Campbell who have been charged with rape and murder. Two will face the death penalty and the others may receive somewhat lesser sentences. There is not real need to dig into the story details beyond that - I think - at this point.

So the questions that have run through my mind when I read this story and there have been a few others similar to it in recent times and of course all through the history of warfare, are this:

What were these guys thinking when they cooked up the original idea? Did they really think they were going to get away with it?

As I pointed out, throughout the history of warfare we can read accounts of similiar and even worse events. This however does not make doing the same things in modern times "ok" though.

Being a soldier myself, I understand (hopefully) a little better the mind of a soldier and the stresses that he operates under - especially when the fecal matter hits the rotating air movement device. BUT that stress does not give an open door to your primal urges. Even in the deepness of combat, a certain amount of moral discipline must be maintained, otherwise your and or your fighting force are nothing more than glorified bully boys, with funky toys to play with.

With regards to the present circumstance of events, I am of absolultely no doubt in my mind that everyone from Mom 'n Dad right on up to and including their Boot Camp Drill Sergeants are going to say that "these boys were clean cut, moral individuals...." bla bla bla. I heard and read similar stories during the Canadian Airborne Somalia incident of 1990/91. I had friends who were there, and they still don't talk about those events. I feel sorry for those folks, because they are trying to deal - mostly privately - with a very nasty series of events, and they can't talk about it.

So the real point of my thoughts and the (hopeful) thrust of the disussion is what were these guys thinking? How did they really honestly think they could do something like this and expect to "get away" with it?

For the purposes of discussion, particular towards our International members, this is not intended to be Open Season Bashing on US troops. Every armed force on the planet has similar stories in their history. I know these guys 'n gals are over there, doing the best they can, and usually under conditions that even a rat would not choose to live in, so please keep it civil.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

A few unanswered questions I have

1. They abandoned the OP while on duty and they where not missed?
    I was in Iraq with an Infantry batt. for 10 months. If the op didnt check in hourly (or every 1/2) SOG and the other OP's would be looking.

2. White guys in civillian clothes unarmed in Iraq, this usally dosnt end up well.

Not saying these guys are innocent, just saying somethings dont add up.
    "Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself."

Forum Member

Most every war has ended up with some sacrifical lambs being thrown to the wolves at the end to show the other side how easy it will be to discuss peace.
    I'm wondering if these guys will be done that way even if they are innocent.As a reminder to anyone who figures an arrest is a conviction,they have only been charged.The proof still has to be trotted out.

I agree with you on your argument Doug. And you are correct regarding due process. As I indicated, its not the individuals or charges themselves.... only that there is a report of an incident that I for one, as a soldier (or firefighter/first responder/EMT) just can not fathom.

CaptainS, your thoughts about being in a "manned" O.P. and not being there for check-in is an excellent point. In addition to the check-in there would likely be a vehicle patrol as well - someone should have "missed" them along the way.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    CaptainS, your thoughts about being in a "manned" O.P. and not being there for check-in is an excellent point. In addition to the check-in there would likely be a vehicle patrol as well - someone should have "missed" them along the way.
    If they were up to something hinky,wouldn't they have left one guy behind to keep the check in schedule going and keep that dog from barking?

You'd think so. Even if only to keep the dog from barking LOL

Thread Information