MembersZone Subscriber

Default Timoney Independent Front Suspension

Howdy,

I'm looking for anybody out there that has experience with the Timoney brand (also called Timoney Strider) of Independent Front Suspension with their fire apparatus.

If so, I would very much like to talk to you to hear what your experience has been and/or talk to your shop personnel to hear about things from their perspective.

Pierce offers the Tak-4 brand IFS on their apparatus, but the Tak-4 is not available to other manufacturers.

Thanks for the help.
    What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about?

Apparatus Operator
    Salem Fire Department
    IAFF Local 314

Forum Member

Were getting a new pierce with the Tak-4, should be interesting and ive heard nothing bad about it, but i cant comment on the Timoney ones, although id be willing to bet there quite good as well.

I guess i didnt add much though, ohh well, free bump haha

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by KCRYAN
    Were getting a new pierce with the Tak-4, should be interesting and ive heard nothing bad about it, but i cant comment on the Timoney ones, although id be willing to bet there quite good as well.

I guess i didnt add much though, ohh well, free bump haha
    The Tak-4 is really popular, even among the manufacturers who cannot put it on their apparatus. They would love to be able to offer it.

If we ended up with Pierce, and had the Tak-4, I wouldn't have any worries. I suspect that the same can be said about the Timoney, which has also been around for a long time, but I just would like some info from users out there.

Apparatus Operator
    Salem Fire Department
    IAFF Local 314

Forum Member

It may or may not surprise anyone to learn that several of Oshkosh's patents related to TAK-4, in particular #5538274 for "Modular Independent coil spring suspension", cite an earlier patent by Timoney. Basically, Timoney has been around for decades and puts out quality products that the TAK-4 is actually based on. Pretty much all the main players in the industry today offer some form of independent front suspension on fire apparatus, it's just a matter of whose product they use.

Oh yeah, you'd probably get a better response to an apparatus question like this next time if you post in the Apparatus Innovation forum.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Chauffer6
    It may or may not surprise anyone to learn that several of Oshkosh's patents related to TAK-4, in particular #5538274 for "Modular Independent coil spring suspension", cite an earlier patent by Timoney. Basically, Timoney has been around for decades and puts out quality products that the TAK-4 is actually based on.

Ooohhh. That's a tasty bit of information that I did not know about. Definately I'm filing that away for future reference!

Quote Originally Posted by Chauffer6
    Oh yeah, you'd probably get a better response to an apparatus question like this next time if you post in the Apparatus Innovation forum.

OK, see I looked around and couldn't find a specific forum like that. It actually exists though, so I'll go right now and post there as well.

Thanks!

Apparatus Operator
    Salem Fire Department
    IAFF Local 314

Thread Information