Thread: Running

Forum Member

Unhappy Running

Hi everyone,

I am 16yrs old and want to be a firefighter/paramedic more then anything. I was supposed to start a 2yr firefighting program in August, but unfortunately, I had to drop it from my schedule because I am going to be moving soon. I ran every night for just 10-15min to prepare, with no problem.

Now, a couple weeks ago I started having a sharp pain in one spot on my shin directly on my bone. It only occurs when I ran and stops immediately after I stop running. I stopped running for about two weeks and as soon as I started, it came back again.

I talked to my schools athletic trainer and he told me that I have high arches, which he said could be the cause. He recommended switching my running surface and getting insoles. I switched my running surface tonight and it actually made it worse, and I was planning to get insoles within the next couple of days, any reccomendations?

I was wondering if anyone has had similar shin problems and could offer any advice. Or if anyone with high arches has had similar issues that affected their running…what did you do to correct problem. Thanks for any advice…Sorry about the length.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have high arches, and it took me a while to find shoes that had enough support. Go to a running store, not the mall, but a good running store and get fitted for good shoes. They have several tests they can do to determine what type of shoes you need, they video tape you running on a treadmill or track to see how your feet strike the grounds and they should look at your old shoes to see how they are wearing. Good shoes cost more, but they make all the difference.
    You might also be getting shin splints, there are some really good stretches you can do to help with that.
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all"

Forum Member

Good to see that your still continuing to run. I am whats known as a Master Trainer in human movment. Probably the biggest problem people have with shin splints is over use did you find that you had this problem when you first started running if so then maybe reduce your intensity and slowly build backup. This will make you a much stronger runner if you didn't have these pains when you started then something has changed recently eg demand, frequency,intensity etc. let me know what it was and i'll give you some more ideas. With the different surfaces your right in thinking they affect your running try running on soil or grass this will absorb more of the impact of your body then black top or road surface this has some give and will absorb a little try never to run on concrete eg footpath/sidewalk, this gives no absorbtion and all of the impact will be felt by your body and will create more injuries.

Forum Member

Red face running (again)

More info for you Ignite…. I didn’t have this problem when I started running it just kind of started out of nowhere, after running for about three months. I have not changed anything from when I started except the surface last week. I have been running on the sidewalk or road and have recently changed to a dirt trail near my house, and the change did make it worse, so I went back to sidewalk (there not much grass near where I live). I did stop running for a couple a days but will probably start again on Saturday.

Thanks for the info ramseycl and ignite.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Shin Splints

An overuse syndrome is caused by demanding more work out of an area than it can handle. The body cannot repair it fast enough to build back up the tissue you are tearing down each time you run. This can happen to bone or soft tissue. Are you running every day? You'd be better of running every other day and doing soemthing else on the other days.

Can you point to a spot? Like a specific line across your shin bone? It ir horizontal? If so, I would consider stress fracture. Don't run on it. Get an x-ay. This could be from trying to increase your time/mileage too fast after some time off.

Or: Does it hurt in front and to the lateral side (little toe side) This could be anterior compartment syndrome. Get to a sports med doctor.

Or: Does it hurt behind the shin on the medial side (big toe side) This could be shin splints. Arch supports, better shoes, and changing your running surface are all good for this. However, I would add 5 minutes of ice cube massage before and after your run. Do this while you tap your toe as if you are impatient. 5 full minutes. I have always run though shin splints... but toe taps and icing were very beneficial.

Also, try traumeel. It's a homeopathic anti- inflammatory cream. Search it up on the internet. Good Stuff! This will help if it really is just shin splints. But, I would not leave out the ice or the toe taps.

More questions? Write me at drjen@fireagility.com

Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com
    Last edited by Drjmilus; 10-30-2006 at 01:14 AM.

Forum Member

Question Hurting shoulder blade

Every time i run my left shoulder blade hurts like a really bad bruise.

(I'm still growing so could this be part of the teen years?)

Mike

MembersZone Subscriber

I ran eight years of Track & Field as a sprinter and then about 6 years of 5K after college. Here are a few tips that may help:

1. Make sure you have the right type of shoe. Not all shoes, brands, feet, running style, etc are the same. These factors are very important. Go to a RUNNING STORE and ask for assistance. They will find shoes that are custom fit to you. Do not go to a Sports Authority or Dicks Sporting Goods unless you know what you're looking for. Also, never purchase a shoe for looks.

2. When you run make sure you are warming up. 10-15 minutes is not a lot of time running as a primary run. Do a mile warmup slow (11-12 minute pace) and then stretch for at least 5 to 10 minutes. After doing your primary run stretch again.

3. Ice, ice, and ice some more. If you legs hurt ice those areas after you run for at least 30 minutes. Ice even on the days you don't run. Also stretch on the days you don't run.

4. Proper running form is very important. Many people get injured because they're not running properly. Get online and read about proper form and about stepping with the least amout of impact.

5. If any pain lasts for more than a week go see a doctor or trainer. Some pains you need to "tough it out" with, but others need medical attention before they become serious. Doctors and trainers are important in the life of a Firefighter and runner.

Good luck.
    Local 2068

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Hips Hips Hips

I am a PT ( jmilus and I tagteam these often), I just finished with a sprinter that runs national ranked times but severe shin splint keep her from competing the last 3 years. My focus was first to look at her ENTIRE running gait pattern. She was running the 440 and hurdles. She developed a shortened stride from the hurtles becoming hamstring dominant when she ran the 440 and not using her hip flexors to their full range of motion or to initiate the stride. With an inefficient hip flexor then the atnterior tibialis ( muscle in front of the shin pulling up the foot/toes) has to over work to initiate the stride. This results in the muscle pulling on the shin bone, tearing fibers causing pain. We worked ALOT on re-educating the hip flexors to initiate as well as work on her stride length as well as realigning the hips. Then training the running pattern all over again to re-enforce the new hip pattern under demand.
    Do your hips point in the same direction? How do they track when you run ( someone has to observe this). If you stand with both knees locked tight then rotate at the hips in and out you willl find the pressure on your arches changing, the foot rolls in and out. This is what I try to get people to understand, if you have internally rotated hip this causes un-natural pressures on the arch resulting in a change in the weight bearing in the feet causing "flat feet". If you retrain the alignment of the hip and get them straight or more externall rotated then the weight bearing returns to the outside of the foot re-establishing proper WB. The issue is finding a trainer/therapist that knows how to go about this.

THe sprinter now has no shin splints running

Thread Information