Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vol Info

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by panic66
    I actually spoke with a guy who is on at the Vol dept in question. He is also on a full time career dept and comes back to help the Vol dept every once in awhile. Thats what I feel I would end up doing. I feel I would "owe" them at least that for the time/money spent training me etc.

That's great you feel that way. The problem is, I think, most people don't think the way you do. If the vol. dept. feels you are genuine then they might consider taking you on. Most people just join to get the training and then leave the vol. dept. high and dry. I hope you stick with it.

Forum Member

Panic just to let you know, if you get a career fire job, most likely there will be a union, and there's a good chance it will be the IAFF which doesn't want their members being a part of a volunteer dept., which is BS. My self there is nothing wrong with a career firefighter remembering were he started with a volunteer dept. and to continue to help and support that dept.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is my 2 cents. In the volunteer world we know that this may happen. It has happened. If we can get some good work from these people then ok, it is cool. There are some paid departments that frown on its employees being members of volunteer departments. Luckily I am not on one of those departments. The few people that have done this in my department have spent several years with us anyway and we have wished them luck in thier endeavors. It is hard enough to get volunteers anyway so it works out. If the department they are applying for contacts the Chief for a reccomendation he is honest about that persons performance as a member. As far as training costs we keep that down as much as possible. The three paid firefighters we have are sent to out of state schools but are tasked to teach what they have learned. The cert classes are given through the University of Kansas and only the testing costs. It is about 30 or 40 bucks depending on the cert. If you wish to be an EMT or First Responder as a volunteer the cost of the class is up to you. It is not a requirement. The paid guys got their EMT class paid for since it was required. The recert classes are taught through the County EMS and is at no cost. We also happen to be lucky in that since we have two county paramedics on the department as well as the EMS Director. We also have the Certification/Instructional Programs Manager for the Kansas Fire and Rescue Training Institue as a member.
    Vintage Firefighter: The older I get, the braver I was.

MembersZone Subscriber

Panic, I know you are a Rhode Islander. I'm applying to many of the Depts. you are. I started volunteering with my Dept. 6 months ago. I told them up front I wanted to go career and that I was there to learn and to help the dept. You ride from week one which means your already paying back with your time. Our dept doesnt run where the members do the work and probies only train. We're rolling hose and stretching line, were cleaning and taking out the trash. You are actively giving back as they teach you. I think that Im going to find that I wont be able to just up and leave my Volly Dept if and when I get on. I would like to continue in some capacity even after I get an offer, if Im lucky enough to get one. As for applying for career jobs, I made sure I spoke to the chief again about it before I even put my Depts. name on an application. To do otherwise is just wrong. IMHO

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Certify & run

A department in our county had this very problem. To deter people from taking advantage, they began spacing out their payments to the students for taking the training and getting certified over a number of years. I think you had to be active on the department for 3 years to receive the full amount.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

In my 20 plus years as a volunteer I would suggest you let the Chief know up front that your intentions are to be a full time firefighter. Having said that while you are doing training are you not riding out on calls and working around the station? This in my mind is pay back for training. Here in NC all of our certification training FF 1, FF II, ERT, EVD, EMT-B and more is free to an active member of a volunteer company. What classes that do have a nominal fee, my Department pays for it. The only thing we ask is for the person to finish the class, if not they must pay any fee back. Over the years we have had many men and women start as volunteers get their certifications and then gain employment with either the Wilmington City Fire Dept the New Hanover County Fire Dept or one of the surrounding cities as a part timer. Many of the New Hanover paid staff are volunteers in one other the other county stations. The City currently does no allow it men to volunteer; Iím not sure what the reasoning is behind this. New Hanover County is a fairly unique situation. There are 5 volunteer dept that sign a yearly contract for service delivery in their district. The county provides a full time staff at these five stations and the one New Hanover County station. At our station we are provided 1 Lt, 2 FF and 1 part timer during the week. Working a 24/48. We run between 1300 and 1400 calls a year and utilize three engines a 75Ē tower, a medium rescue and a squad unit for EMS and Brush calls.

Stay safe and take care of each other

Thread Information