Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default Depart issue underwear?

Posting this for nine3Probie....

Canadian city sets underwear rule for firefighters
    Tue Oct 24, 6:49 PM ET

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (Reuters) - A Canadian city under pressure for alleged sexual harassment within its fire department has ordered firefighters to wear only boxer-style underwear.

Richmond, British Columbia will spend C$16,000 (7,600 pounds) to buy six pairs of underwear for each firefighter in a bid to make firehalls in the suburb of Vancouver more gender neutral, a newspaper reported on Tuesday.

"We supply firefighters with various pieces of gear such as gloves, now it's underwear," city official Ted Townsend told the Vancouver Sun, saying it was part of the "integration of the sexes in the workplace."

A recent investigation of the department described its workplace culture as "characterized by juvenile and hostile behaviour" towards female firefighters by their male colleagues.

Firefighters strip off most of their clothes in order to don protective gear when responding to fire alarms, although Townsend said the city is considering buying gear that can be put on over regular uniforms.
    What the frack?

Were the turnouts sized incorrectly?

Will the male firefighters be issued "manssieres" or the "Bro"?

Will Firefighter D.D.Titzsling be offended?

Will the materials for the underwear be fire resistant?

What are the color choices?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Hook & Can

Last edited by Nine3Probie; 07-28-2013 at 06:09 PM.

Forum Member

what about socks ? They don't mention them. If they're buying my underware, I want them to buy my socks too. and I guess I'll have to save my banana hammock for my days off....

Larry

MembersZone Subscriber

There are a lot more issues here than stripping down to your underwear before putting on gear. This is the department where one of the female members committed suicide, allegedly because of the constant harassment.

Here is an article about the harassment problems there.

I wonder if they wear their turnouts every time they leave the station? If not, it must be pretty amusing if an engine company is out on a pre-plan or even grocery shopping when a call comes in and they all drop their pants.
    Last edited by KenNFD1219; 10-25-2006 at 11:38 AM.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

Guess they don't dress out in front of the kids during a presentation.
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Thats just crazy, the firefighters in that dept. need to join the year 2006.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

MembersZone Subscriber

Why in the world would you disrobe to get into your bunker gear. The only thing you need to take off is your shoes, maybe a jacket if your wearing one. What possible advantage could you gain by being naked in your gear?
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

MembersZone Subscriber

None, outside of harassing a female fighter. The sad part is someone has convinced the town that the gear will not fit if they wear clothes.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"

Forum Member

Default Actually...

Quote Originally Posted by KenNFD1219
    None, outside of harassing a female fighter. The sad part is someone has convinced the town that the gear will not fit if they wear clothes.
    ...the question of what you wear under bunker gear has come up here before. I really think there is something other than simply harrassing the female firefighters at play here.

Forum Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Point taken, but considering the history of harassment that this department has, I seriously doubt that they are doing this for comfort. It's one thing if you are sleeping in your underwear and jump into your gear when the tones drop compared to stripping down to your shorts and then putting on your gear. I really question their motives on this practice.
    Last edited by KenNFD1219; 10-25-2006 at 03:29 PM.
    -------------------

MembersZone Subscriber

That story's from Vancouver right? We're bound to have someone on this forum from there. Anybody know anyone from there that we can get in here to shed some light on this truely bizzare story.
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

IMO the high ups need to just start cleaning house in that department. Maybe even some of the high ups need to go for allowing such nonsense to happen.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

I was going to post this (or try to) until Ron beat me to it. I thought that it would be for members at night so they had the same type of foundation garment......all I can say is WOW. Also Ken's link did not work for me but it could be the computer I am on ........did it work for everyone else too ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

http://www.firehall.com/posts.php?ke...arch&region=bc

Scroll down this list of past articles on Firehall.com. Or click on the News tab and put Richmond in the Search feature.
    Last edited by RspctFrmCalgary; 10-25-2006 at 08:39 PM.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

well they give you blurbs .............cause it costs to get the actual article. ...........doesnt sound good.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

I'm not going to comment on the harassment issues, however stripping down to your underwear is not an uncommon practice around these parts. Infact I would say it is common practice more then uncommon. Most guys and gals around here dont like having pants on under thier bunkers, why add the heat stress to yourself. I'm not going to debate what to wear under your gear, I'm just stating the facts.

Firedog21
    I.A.F.F. Proud

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1
    well they give you blurbs .............cause it costs to get the actual article. ...........doesnt sound good.
    Joshie, when I clicked on the link at the bottom of the blurb, it took me straight to the article.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

KenNFD1219
    Stripping down to underwear has nothing to do with harassment, guys have been doing it long before the female firefighters have come along. In firehalls without women, guys still only wear underwear under their bunkers. So your way off base with your comments Bud, and you owe these guys an apology.

Firedog21
    I.A.F.F. Proud

Quote Originally Posted by firedog21
    KenNFD1219
    Stripping down to underwear has nothing to do with harassment, guys have been doing it long before the female firefighters have come along. In firehalls without women, guys still only wear underwear under their bunkers. So your way off base with your comments Bud, and you owe these guys an apology.

Firedog21
    I.A.F.F. Proud

Not for nothing times have changed and now there are women there and bunker gear is designed to wear over your uniform . IMO the men doing this in front of women need to be the ones appologizing.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

Thread Information