MembersZone Subscriber

Default firefighter/paramedics needed

all paramedics interested in crosstraining to ff/p. City of Memphis is hiring. Want to do 12 hours on ambulance and the other 12 hours on fire equipment? Memphis is the place. Open untill filled. Will probally hire 50/75 applicants. tn reciprocity is very simple, agility test isn't too bad, must be 21-35 yrs old. approx 90 day training and you are on the streets. must pass paramedic competency exam. We are so short due to promotions. Im not in human resources i am a ff/p with 4 years on, we need you. We have a new Deputy Director who is really turning things around for the better. but first we need recruits. Go to MemphisFireEms.com and look for ff/p job opening.

Forum Member

there is an error in the application that will not allow me to submit. Any way to get a paper app. in Chicago?

MembersZone Subscriber

send me your address tq kevinfullington@yahoo.com and i will try to get an application mailed to you.

MembersZone Subscriber

to all those interested to learn more about the Memphis Fire Dept go to our unofficial website memphisfire.net

Forum Member

To KevinFullington,

I have looked at Memphis over the last couple years but never tried to actually apply, if you could, would you answer some questions that I have wondered and will benefit anyone that is interested.

What is the starting salary including any automatic overtime for a firefighter/paramedic?
    What is the top out salary?
    Are there any bonuses for salary for education?
    Is the wage comparable to cost of living?
    I have heard memphis is a higher crime rate and you are required to live in the city, are there affordable nice places to live in the city?
    As a new paramedic do you ride half and half or would you more likely end up on an ambulance permanently until more medics are hired?
    What is the retirement and pension like?
    How is the morale at the department?
    What is your work day like, laid back, busy work etc.?
    Rules about sleeping during the day if you're on a busy ambulance?
    Does the city pay for outside training?
    Tuition reimbursement?
    What is the fire duty like, average fires per day/year?
    Total calls for the department
    Total Stations
    Do you have tillers?
    How is the city financially, any threat of layoffs?

These are all I have as of now, Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

starting salary is abouy 44k for probies. 2nd yr is46k, 3rd is 50k, and topout as ff/p is 52k. i've made about 8k in ot this year so far could have made more if i wanted. salary is much better than any other dept in the region. i think our benefits and retirement are the best also, alot of people from other depts around here come to mfd because of that. i think you get an extra 6% for a 4yr degree in any subject. 2% for job incentive (getting qualified on at least 3 pieces of equipment) ambulance included. there is college reimbursement. a few tillers still around but they are slowly being replaced by 100 ft rear mounts. pumpers are usually the als companies, but a few als trucks. the rookie ff/p that are still on prob are doing 12/12. we are at about 60,000 total runs for the year with 2 months left. im on engine 7 and we make about 275 runs a month, but we are probally in the top 3 in the city. unit 1 is the ambulance i ride and it makes 350-400 runs a month, second busiest last year to unit 16 which avg about 1 more run a day than us. In memphis youre going make plenty of fires. I guess no matter how hot you are you always want more, but not a shortage of fires except out in the retirement stations which you wont see for a while. morale is ok this paramedic shortage sucks but its going get better with time, rumor is every new hire from now on will have to be a paramedic within 3 years, but you know how rumors are. our director ( top chief) is proactive and is working to turn the mfd back into one of the better depts in the nation (like it use to be) takes time to fix the mess the previous administration left for him. i believe the city council is behind him. oh yeah nap time is 1300-1600 hrs. i wouldnt recomend napping while on probation, good way to wake up wet!

MembersZone Subscriber

Does Hell Night ring a bell?

MembersZone Subscriber

ooooohhhhhhhh yea, I remember that

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985
    Does Hell Night ring a bell?

I remember that too... I was actually going to put in an application there too. As I am sure MFD is a great department, after reading about that incident though, changed my mind.

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

What is Hell Night?

MembersZone Subscriber

The academy sent a recruit into a coma during some exercises a la hell night

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FLA1786
    What is Hell Night?

From what I heard and read, training that went wrong and a guy ended up in a coma. It was a big issue a few years ago, enough for me not to work there.

MembersZone Subscriber

"hell night" affectionately named by recruits, is a series of evolutions that are performed at night. it is designed to challenge recruits to utilize their training in undesirable conditions. "hell night'' offers recruits a realistic view of challenges they may be faced with after graduation from the academy. i know a little bit about "hell night" due to the fact that i was a recruit who participated in the first "hell night". My recruit class named it "hell night". it starts @ 1500 and ends around 2300. the media portrayed a "hazing" like atmosphere, but they are incorrect. it is a night to prove to yourself and your fellow recruits that you are able and willing to do the job! when you are tired, hungry, and wet you keep performing until the task is complete. here's the beauty of it all - you can quit whenever you want. you could approach an instructor and explain that you are unable to do any more and you were finished for the night, without fear of reprimand. the only person you answer to is yourself when you sit on the side and observe your classmates continue on. in my recruit class only 1 out of 50 decided to quit. She is still on the job. in the case of the fallen recruit he was over 40 years old and he suffered a stroke. now we have an age requirment. 21 - 35. in closing, i posted this job opening hoping it would reach those who truly want to pursue a career in the fire services. those who are dedicated and willing to go "above and beyond" those with high standards and strong character, however from the replies i've read it seems most of you are looking for "quick and easy" and for those people, please do me and my fellow firefighters of memphis a favor and stay where you are!

Forum Member

above it says you have to be a medic within 3 years of being hired so does that mean you do not have to be a medic to apply. I would love to work for MFD but I am only a basic and in the I class.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would Love to come work in Memphis....only one small problem.....Im 40.....and the age limit is......
    Any commander who fails to exceed his authority is not of much use to his subordinates. - Arleigh Burke

Thread Information