Thread: SCBA bottles

MembersZone Subscriber

Post SCBA bottles

Hi,
    are SCBA bottles allowed on commerical aircraft (airmail or in passenger luggage)

do they have to be empty. if so how do you preserve the bottle.

need more info, is there any legal issues.

well where im from, i got challenged for my recent score of a surplus scuba tank and was only granted travel because it was empty and it was for my collection.

Clinton

MembersZone Subscriber

I actually came across regulations on Delta's website the other day while preparing for an upcoming trip. SCBA used by fire/rescue personnel may be checked as long as it does not exceed 150 lb (68 kg). You also have to notify the airline 24 hours in advance. SCUBA tanks can be checked but they have to be empty or have less than 40 psi. (It would seem any pressurized cylinder would have to be empty before they would check it).

MembersZone Subscriber

would second hand bottles be allowed and how reliable would they be. how long does a SCBA bottle last.

MembersZone Subscriber

In the U.S., fiber wrapped bottles have a 15 year life-span. Steel(ugh) or aluminum last as long as they pass visual and hydro testing.

Rather than check the bottles, you might be better off emptying them, boxing them up, and shipping them via Fed-Ex, DHL, or UPS.

I sent a couple of old SBA bottles via UPS to a collector in Canada a few years ago.

U.S. compressed gas cylinders have U.S. Department of Transportation certification. I do not know what your regulations are for compressed gas cylinders are in Australia.
    Last edited by KenNFD1219; 10-29-2006 at 10:54 PM.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks for the reply. does anyone else have any feedback.
    Last edited by clintonradloff; 10-30-2006 at 11:21 PM.

Forum Member

Why are you wanting to buy used turn out gear and SCBA bottles? I think I read where you said you weren't a Firefighter, so why do you want them? Something sounds funny about this...
    FOR HE WHO SERVES HIS FELLOWS IS OF ALL HIS FELLOWS GREATEST

IACOJ

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by redneckemt
    Why are you wanting to buy used turn out gear and SCBA bottles? I think I read where you said you weren't a Firefighter, so why do you want them? Something sounds funny about this...
    Glad I'm not the only one ... I've had that funny feeling for awhile now. From memory, in no particular order:

Post stating collector of turnouts
    Post about not being a firefighter but hopes to become a volunteer
    Post asking for pictures of firefighters
    Posts one of himself that the link doesn't work
    Post asking about turnouts
    Post asking about ride alongs
    Post asking about SCBAs
    Posts asking about regulations for shipping SCBAs by air
    Posts asking people if they are coming to Australia in the next few months (to be his courier and bring all this stuff?)

hmmmmmmm Does make one wonder.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Sheri:

Good catch. Lately I've noticed that there seems to be more conspiracy theory nuts, badge bunny's, and non-firefighters on the forums.

Maybe it's just me and it's always been this way. I've been stuck at home for the last three weeks and have spent way too much time on the forums.

clintonradloff: Looking over your posts and questions, I've become a little suspicious of your intentions. Most of us have either had, or heard about, a "firefighter" who shows up on scene in turnout gear looking to help only to realize he is a firefighter in his mind only.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KenNFD1219
    Sheri:

Good catch. Lately I've noticed that there seems to be more conspiracy theory nuts, badge bunny's, and non-firefighters on the forums.

Maybe it's just me and it's always been this way. I've been stuck at home for the last three weeks and have spent way too much time on the forums.

clintonradloff: Looking over your posts and questions, I've become a little suspicious of your intentions. Most of us have either had, or heard about, a "firefighter" who shows up on scene in turnout gear looking to help only to realize he is a firefighter in his mind only.
    Hey now what about the redneck? I brought it up first... lol...
    FOR HE WHO SERVES HIS FELLOWS IS OF ALL HIS FELLOWS GREATEST

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

scba bottles are for a collection? i collect scuba tanks, scba bottles anything of novelty value. seriously its for a collection. not any intendson of being used or misused. i was going to go over to the vollunteer depot sometime but couldnt get time.

Clinton

Thread Information