Forum Member

Lightbulb Non Federal Grants

Does anyone ever go out for ANY grants that are not Federal Grants or related specifically for fire departments? IE: The Safe Neighborhood Hero Grant given by Wal-Mart/SAMS.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by FireSpotter
    Does anyone ever go out for ANY grants that are not Federal Grants or related specifically for fire departments? IE: The Safe Neighborhood Hero Grant given by Wal-Mart/SAMS.

There are a few threads that mention these grants. With Brian, Kurt and others discussing them in detail. I tried to find them real quick but........no luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default non federal grants

try these:

www.myhometownhelper.com

Michelin tire Co. - look at corporate sight fo Operation America Driving Safely

State farm Insurance

allstate insurance

www.ussmokeless.com - operation ranger

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Fireman's Fund is another one. There are thousands of private/corporate foundations that will give to FDs if asked, it's just finding them that's the fun part. Convincing them that you need the money is another since they don't have much of an idea about public service agencies. Some have the stance that citizens pay taxes so what do we need more money than that for?

Don't overlook corporate donation matching programs. Most will match 100% of what employees donate to non-profit agencies up to a certain $$ figure per donation or annually. Each is different. Mine will match up to $5k I believe, so a collection of donations from employees turns into $10k. Go All In and Double Up.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default non fed grants

All in and double up??? Someone is in CRUISE mode !!!!!!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Just found out Vince Neil is doing a poker cruise out of Miami sometime next year, called the Motley Cruise.

Also heard they're coming to Houston for a show with Aerosmith. Need to start on the mullet. Won't that be special, long hair in the back and receding hair line up front.

Forum Member

Just received notification from our local Wal-Mart that we will be receiving $2000 from the Safe Neighborhoods Grant. We were the only agency to apply!!! We received probably $5000 from Wal-Mart in the past 3 years!

MembersZone Subscriber

We received a firstresponder.org grant when TUMS was sponsoring it.

Forum Member

We also received a grant from the TUMs First Responder program. I don't think they were able to pick up another sponser yet. It is not even listed on their web site anymore. Try some of the national chain businesses like Wal mart, We got one from JC Penny as well as Wal Mart. Mc Donalds made a nice contribution to our safety/prevention program.

MembersZone Subscriber

There are lots of corporate and private foundations who will fund " community oriented" projects for fire departments, rescue squads and the like. The simple fact is, there is more money in these grants ( $68 billion per year) than the federal programs. Can we access all of them? No, we can't but, corporate America has been opening the door up a little wider since 9/11 and those that take the time to research, and are not afraid to be said "no" to sometimes, are finding that their efforts are paying off.

Now these are typically not the "big" money grants like AFG but, $1000 here, $5000 there adds up and takes care of a lot of items eating away at your budgets.

Dig hard on the corporate websites for these larger companies and look at their areas that discuss " community"," what we support" and "charitable giving". You just might be surprised at what is actually available to you if you take the time to look, read closely and ask questions. Sure many will say "no" but, many may also say "yes".
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

FH Mag/.com Contributor

To expand on what Kurt said (which is right on) your own community holds the potential for more $$ than AFG has in all 6 years put together. Anyone that works for a major company usually gets matched donations, and they normally don't have to be in the area served by the company. Friends, relatives, anyone can put together a donation for a cause and have it matched. And always keep the local government up to date on your funding needs. They may not have the money right now, but just in case they do you want to be right, reminding them of the needs. The importance in reminding that you have the need is slightly psychological: you're not just asking because they have money, and they can't claim that since you've been asking since before they had money. That way they can't be defensive about it.

Same reason you should always have a list of what you need available in case someone asks. We all have personal lists of wants/needs that we know exactly what we'd do if we got $5k to spend (flat screen TV...) but when it comes to our FDs we don't have a clue, or it isn't on paper. Everyone in the department should know what is needed and how much it costs so that when Rockefeller comes walking in the station with a checkbook you can point to the list. If you hem and haw about what you'd use the money for, that says you don't really need it. Same with local government: if they find a few extra in the budget, they know what you need and why and might just give it up without having to beg for it.

Forum Member

Thank you everyone and congratulations Barney47!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Barney47
    Just received notification from our local Wal-Mart that we will be receiving $2000 from the Safe Neighborhoods Grant. We were the only agency to apply!!! We received probably $5000 from Wal-Mart in the past 3 years!
    I have a feeling we may end up the same way (I've GOT to remember to get that in today ). It seems like hardly anyone around here knows anything about a lot of the grant programs out there, let alone this one.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's a question I've got for you Yoda's of the grant world. How much is too much to request for "corporate giving" grants? I've been playing around and doing some searching today on various corporations, insurance in particular, and found a number of applications. I must say, every insurance company website I went to had an app for corporate giving and a category for "Community health and safety." Just wouldn't want to ask for so much I took myself out of consideration.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you look around hard enough on their websites you can usually find their last IRS990 form or their "yearky report". Look towards the end of that form and see who they funded and for how much. Take the numbers add them, divide by number of grants given and you have an idea of how much they usually fund. Often times also they post that they fund projects between X & Y amounts or that they do not fund projects under a certain amount. You might also look for "examples" of projects they funded which they somtimes post. You scratched the surface here on looking for the funding sources, now you have to dig a little deeper to get down to brass tacks with them. Keep at it!
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Default huh...........

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780
    If you look around hard enough on their websites you can usually find their last IRS990 form or their "yearky report". Look towards the end of that form and see who they funded and for how much. Take the numbers add them, divide by number of grants given and you have an idea of how much they usually fund. Often times also they post that they fund projects between X & Y amounts or that they do not fund projects under a certain amount. You might also look for "examples" of projects they funded which they somtimes post. You scratched the surface here on looking for the funding sources, now you have to dig a little deeper to get down to brass tacks with them. Keep at it!
    I never knew that about corporations. I never thought to look at them. the same with the Walmart grant. I'll have to remember that.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Most also list their last round of gifts.

The corporate matching gifts that they have probably won't be listed, but if they have a regular grant program they are supposed to list the awards.

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=Catch22]How much is too much to request for "corporate giving" grants? QUOTE]

Just to briefly give you an idea, most corporate grants for the departments we have helped end up being for projects under $5,000. There have been a few for over that amount but, in general I find that if it is a project under $5K you can ususally accomplish it with a corprate foundation grant.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Govermental (or quasi-governmental) entities may not be eligible for many of the corporate or foundational programs (no tax deduction for gifts to municipalities). We are working on establishing a non-profit Auxiliary (NOT a women's auxiliary, since we don't want to discourage any community involvement) so that we can channel some other funding sources. Small investment, should be easy to recoup!!
    earl

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Greenacres2
    Govermental (or quasi-governmental) entities may not be eligible for many of the corporate or foundational programs (no tax deduction for gifts to municipalities). We are working on establishing a non-profit Auxiliary (NOT a women's auxiliary, since we don't want to discourage any community involvement) so that we can channel some other funding sources. Small investment, should be easy to recoup!!
    earl
    I've been looking into doing this for our department. We've got a "fire fighter's association" that only has a state non-profit, but I've hated to have something restricted to firefighters. Just need to get off my duff and get the paperwork and all done. And then follow suit for our new explorer post while I'm at it. I hoping for the same results as you mentioned, open up more opportunities.

MembersZone Subscriber

That's where we are too. I've got too many irons in the fire for the next few months, but i got to get that 501(c)(3) brand on my cow's butt!!

earl

MembersZone Subscriber

As Earl pointed out you will find that municipalities are not eligible for the private or foundation grants. They are restricted to 501(c)(3) oganizations which municipalities are not.

Does that preclude departments from applying? No. You need to read the requirements carefully. These types of grants can be applied for by using a fiscal agent, working on your behalf, such as the Rotary Club etc. The fiscal agent applies for the grant to support the department's program.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by onebugle
    As Earl pointed out you will find that municipalities are not eligible for the private or foundation grants. They are restricted to 501(c)(3) oganizations which municipalities are not.

Does that preclude departments from applying? No. You need to read the requirements carefully. These types of grants can be applied for by using a fiscal agent, working on your behalf, such as the Rotary Club etc. The fiscal agent applies for the grant to support the department's program.
    onebugle, a little more clarification is needed here but not ALL corporate or private foundations require the 501c(3) designation and they will serve the FDs IE; Wal-Mart, State Farm and quite a few others. You have to read carefully as sometimes they put caveats that allow "municipal entitites of public safety" to apply. Also some sites say only "501 organizations", without the final c3 designation and many quasi-government agencies carry 501c(1) or 501c(4) status as not-for-profit vs totally non-profit. Its in the details, you have to read very closely sometimes to find the loophole at times.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Just goes to prove what you meant to say and what you actually say mean two different things. I guess leaving out "some" before "private or foundation" makes a big difference.

Next time I probably should not take cold medication for a head cold before replying.

Forum Member

Onebugle: I hope that you are feeling much better.

Thank you ktb9780, you are correct. In doing my research, but not just for FD I also have to tackle for PD and PW and EDC, some private foundations do make the stipulation that a municipality can submit an application not just a 501c (3).

One of the sites that I have found useful is the foundation Center at Http://foundationcenter.org. Maybe there might be something there that you all might be able to use. They also have some online course that might help you with proposal writing.

I hope that this will be of great help to you all.

Thread Information