Forum Member

Default CNN Breaking news - 3 CA wildfire LODDs

The U.S. Forest Service says three firefighters have been killed and two critically injured battling a wildfire near Palm Springs, California, The Associated Press reports.

Forum Member

Default Cabazon, Ca

CABAZON, California (AP) -- The U.S. Forest Service said three firefighters have been killed and two critically injured battling a wildfire near Palm Springs.

The firefighters were killed while trying to protect a home from the flames that broke out in the community of Cabazon. A Forest Service spokesman said they were trapped inside their truck.

The wildfire drove 200 people from their homes Thursday morning as it raced through the desert hills northwest of Palm Springs.

The blaze had burned more than 1,000 acres by midmorning, and 25 mph winds were quickly spreading the flames, said Becky Luther, a spokeswoman for the Riverside County Fire Department.

At least one building burned. (Watch flames rage across hillsides -- 1:58)

The fire was burning in a valley with a few scattered ranch homes, but the hamlets of Poppet Ranch and Twin Pines were evacuated along with a juvenile center, Twin Pines Boys Ranch. About 200 people left homes when mandatory evacuations were ordered, fire Capt. Julie Hutchinson said.

"The biggest concern is if it gets over the hills," Luther said. "That's where all of the homes are."

Officials worried the fire could reach an area of the San Bernardino National Forest where a bark beetle infestation had killed trees that could easily fuel a blaze. In the valley where it was burning Thursday morning, the ground cover is mostly grass and chaparral that burns hot and quick, allowing the fire to spread quickly but with little staying power, Luther said.

An emergency evacuation center was set up at Banning Community Center, near Cabazon, where the fire was raging.

Timo Hargu, 61, said he rushed from his hilltop home with his two dogs after he looked out a window and saw fire burning toward him in a valley.

"The whole thing was ablaze with flame," he said. "It was the most spectacular view. A terrible view, but spectacular."

Cabazon is about 90 miles east of Los Angeles and 17 miles northwest of Palm Springs in Riverside County.

Permanently Removed

Damn- I know a lot of peps down there. Any names?

Forum Member

Default No names yet

I'm looking. Not much seems to have hit the web yet.

Forum Member

Default 5 man crew

that would be an engine crew on a type 3, I'm thinking

Forum Member

Rest easy Brother/Sister firefighters!

FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Forum Member

Default Still no names

I can't even find anything on what agency, FS or other.

Forum Member

Default Apparently FS

All personnel have been pulled off the fire

MembersZone Subscriber

Our prayer are with their families...
    God bless.

Forum Member

Rest in Peace Brothers, my prayers are with your families.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

My condolences and prayers to the family and friends, rest in peace Brother/Sisters.

Forum Member

Its US Forest Service, San Bernardino NF Engine 57 according to the story on the front page of FH.

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...Id=39&id=51734

I was hoping we were done for 2006, our temps get layed off Saturday.

RIP

Forum Member

Latest update reports up to 400 people trapped in recreational vehicle park near Cabazon. Only access road, Highway 243, cut off by fire. Prayers go out to everyone on the fireline today.

From ABCNEWS

CABAZON, Calif. Oct 26, 2006 (AP) A wind-driven wildfire near Palm Springs engulfed a fire engine Thursday, killing three firefighters, and up to 400 people were trapped in a recreational vehicle park when flames blocked the only road out, officials said.

"Everybody is hunkered down here. They're fighting the fire around us. It's across the street from us," said Charles Van Brunt, a ranger at the station at the entrance to Silent Valley Club.

Two other firefighters in the fire engine were critically injured, said Pat Boss, a U.S. Forest Service spokesman.

The firefighters were trying to protect a house as hot Santa Ana winds drove flames through the desert hills northwest of Palm Springs and forced hundreds of people from their homes.

"The engine was in the area, and with the wind conditions like they were, the fire just overtakes and burns the entire engine," Boss said.

He said the Forest Service pulled all its personnel off the fire after the deaths so they could "gather their thoughts, say their prayers."

The fire quickly blackened more than six square miles and destroyed at least three homes. The weather service had issued a "red flag" warning for extreme fire danger because of high winds 25 mph or more and dry conditions.

As many as 400 people were trapped in the RV park when Highway 243 was blocked, authorities said. TV footage showed some vehicles racing through flames and smoke just before firefighters closed the road.

The cause of the wildfire was not immediately clear. It started early Thursday, burning in a valley with a few scattered ranch homes. The hamlets of Poppet Ranch and Twin Pines were evacuated along with a juvenile detention center, Twin Pines Boys Ranch.

Evacuations were ordered, and by early morning, about 200 people had left their homes, fire Capt. Julie Hutchinson said.

Officials worried the flames could reach an area of the San Bernardino National Forest where a bark beetle infestation had killed trees that could easily fuel a blaze.

In the valley where the fire was burning, the ground cover is mostly grass and chaparral that burns hot and quickly.

"The biggest concern is if it gets over the hills," said Becky Luther, a spokeswoman for the Riverside County Fire Department. "That's where all of the homes are."

Timo Hargu, 61, said he rushed from his hilltop home with his two dogs after he looked out a window and saw fire burning toward him in a valley.

"The whole thing was ablaze with flame," he said. "It was the most spectacular view. A terrible view, but spectacular."

Cabazon is about 90 miles east of Los Angeles.

MembersZone Subscriber

CNN reporting a 4th FF has died

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

OK where the hell is Cabazon? I need to find a map fast ... my parents are on their way down to their "cement pad" in Indio. In their motorhome. Completely out of touch by email and probably phone too, and I'm stuck at work for 2 more hours. grrrrrr

I pray they haven't made it that far south yet. Last I heard they were still in BC (Oosoyoos) and heading for Junction City, but that was a week or so ago. So it isn't likely they are in the midst of all this, but until I find out where they are, I'll worry about it.

Four Firefighters Killed Battling Calif. Wildfire

I'll wait to post my condolences later.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy

I am at a loss for words right now. I can't type. I'll have to come back later.

may those who were lost rest in peace.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

My prayers go out to the families and friends of those lost in this fire.

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

RIP Brothers
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

Forum Member

Unhappy Rip

Prayers and condolences to all.

Forum Member

Unhappy

Rest in peace. You will not be forgotten.

Lets not forget the injured member. May there be a speedy recovery from the injuries sustained.

It has now been reported that this was an arson fire. Another tragic and senseless loss for the fire service.
    Last edited by BFDLT32; 10-26-2006 at 08:29 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary
    OK where the hell is Cabazon? I need to find a map fast ... my parents are on their way down to their "cement pad" in Indio. In their motorhome. Completely out of touch by email and probably phone too, and I'm stuck at work for 2 more hours. grrrrrr

I pray they haven't made it that far south yet. Last I heard they were still in BC (Oosoyoos) and heading for Junction City, but that was a week or so ago. So it isn't likely they are in the midst of all this, but until I find out where they are, I'll worry about it.

Four Firefighters Killed Battling Calif. Wildfire

I'll wait to post my condolences later.
    Sheri, Cabazon is on the 10fwy between Banning and Hwy 62. Indio is about 110 miles south of there. I'm sure your folks either made it through before the fire threatened the fwy and they shut it down or they're stuck in a mire of traffic being re-routed around the area. The fire and law enforcement agencies in that area and pretty much statewide work really well together and have each others radio frequencies. I'm sure your folks are fine.
    We've been alerted to gear up for a possible strike team assignment. I don't know if I'll go but I'm high enough on the list to be called out. -Gary
    IAFF

Permanently Removed

Just got off of the phone with a BC in OC. (Orange County). Not to start a rumor, but it doesnt sound like the 5th person is going to make it either. (UNCONFIRMED)

Gary- Hurry on up here for a visit.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is really sad news today.

Fox News is reporting that this is an arson fire

RIP brothers.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by snowball
    Sheri, Cabazon is on the 10fwy between Banning and Hwy 62. Indio is about 110 miles south of there. I'm sure your folks either made it through before the fire threatened the fwy and they shut it down or they're stuck in a mire of traffic being re-routed around the area. The fire and law enforcement agencies in that area and pretty much statewide work really well together and have each others radio frequencies. I'm sure your folks are fine.
    We've been alerted to gear up for a possible strike team assignment. I don't know if I'll go but I'm high enough on the list to be called out. -Gary
    Thanks, Gary.

I checked at work on Mapquest. I just wasn't sure at first how close the fire was to Indio. 110 miles = about 2-3 hrs driving time right? So their place shouldn't be threatened. And I can't see them staying in the RV park when they're that close to home.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Rest in Peace brothers.

Here is the Incident Information from CDF: http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/incidents...ncident_id=161

Here is a map of Cabazon-

Last edited by RFDExplorer; 10-26-2006 at 09:38 PM.

Thread Information