Forum Member

Default Goodfellow FF Obstcle Course

Can anyone tell me what this entails? What does it comprise of? I have heard some stories, but I was curious if anyone had any pointers. I cant wait to do this, sounds like alot of fun.

On a side note, do we learn how to reppel?

I am so excited, I am out processing my squadron now. I leave on the 7th for Goodfellow.

Forum Member

Rappelling is taught in Rescue classes. Now for the FF obstacle course....not sure what this is. Maybe it is something new (graduated in 2001).
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Smile

You will do this twice once before you start class (prescreen with 50 pound vest on to simulate firefighting gear). And you will do it agian in sixth block in full bunker gear and breathing air from scba. Unless you was to fail your prescreen you would go to firefighter pt and do it almost every week. But you have 7 mins so you should make it. Its basicly an endurance test good luck. you carry a donut roll 50ft, put an ladder against a building, drag a 1 3/4 handline 100ft(i think), climb a 12ft ladder 3 times, hit a 50lbs tire 12in with a sledgehammer, drag a ??lbs sled ??ft, climb the ladder 3 more times, take the ladder you put up earlier back to were you got it from and carry the hurst spreaders 50ft and your done. Sounds like alot but it goes by quick.
    Last edited by USAFFF04; 10-27-2006 at 04:32 PM.

Forum Member

the second test is actuallu in 3rd block..near the end of it actually...if u fail it, they will put you in the firefighter PT (which i went into voluntarily cause it was a good workout regimen) ....you will test again before sixth block....your description is pretty accurate....Donut Roll 50ft and back...Roof Ladder placed against building....walk about 100 ft to the 1 3/4 charged hose, drag 100ft....climb up and down another 12 ft roof ladder 3 times...drag sled with a roll of 5in 50 feet, walk to other side and drag it back....hit the 50lb tire 12 in.....drag a 150lb dummy 50 ft, turn around and drag back (this is where you get tired)....up and down the roof ladder 3 more times.....take down the ladder and carry hurst spreaders 50ft and back....

Hard, but fun and very doable....breath right ...had a guy complete this in 4:47 in my class so...you can do it....this isnt the part to be sweating...6th block is for real...most fun and most challenging...pray you dont do the KC-130 Rescue...Good Luck

Forum Member

You guys make it sound so easy.lol I had a heck of a time, but they just started it when I did the firefighter PT thing. There was no extra help, you passed or didnt. Was not even a try out at the start. Just control your breathing and youll do just fine, just remember you dont have any thing to prove. And pray you dont get the KC-130, now that was worse then the PT thing when I did it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceFire24
    the second test is actuallu in 3rd block..near the end of it actually...if u fail it, they will put you in the firefighter PT (which i went into voluntarily cause it was a good workout regimen) ....you will test again before sixth block....your description is pretty accurate....Donut Roll 50ft and back...Roof Ladder placed against building....walk about 100 ft to the 1 3/4 charged hose, drag 100ft....climb up and down another 12 ft roof ladder 3 times...drag sled with a roll of 5in 50 feet, walk to other side and drag it back....hit the 50lb tire 12 in.....drag a 150lb dummy 50 ft, turn around and drag back (this is where you get tired)....up and down the roof ladder 3 more times.....take down the ladder and carry hurst spreaders 50ft and back....

Hard, but fun and very doable....breath right ...had a guy complete this in 4:47 in my class so...you can do it....this isnt the part to be sweating...6th block is for real...most fun and most challenging...pray you dont do the KC-130 Rescue...Good Luck

from what i heard the KC-10(c-130 everyone has to do) isnt being used anymore. it wasnt really that bad. i wound up going twice. i blacked out after i pulled the piolt out still finished it but dont remember it. the helio rescue from what i hear is harder cause the floor has the grips on it.
    " IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN I CAN BLAME MY MISSPELLINGS ON MY PENCIL" -Larry The Cable Guy-

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firedawg312
    i wound up going twice. i blacked out after i pulled the piolt out still finished it but dont remember it.
    damn what are they doin to you guys at Goodfellow? I gotta hear the rest of this.
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

MembersZone Subscriber

You think it's hard in training...
    Wait till you gotta do it at 2 AM and it's for REAL! You guys are gonna make the "others" talk. Ya gotta be hard Rock As they say : "You can't tap out on the street" I betcha the good 'ol AF isn't dishing up more than any of you can handle! Black out??? A little more PT may be in order
    Brian Rowe
    Paramedic/Engineer
    Colleton County Fire/Rescue

Forum Member

Hey....I,m AF and I wen't through Goodfellow at the ripe young age of 40. Didn't have any problems with the school. It was really alot of fun. Didn't have the obsticle course when I went through it, but have done it sense then at "Silver Flag" at the age of 43.

Maybe PT was a problem for some people, but I think the biggest problem was hydration.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

Didn't have the obsticle course when I went through it, but have done it sense then at "Silver Flag" at the age of 43.

Congrats to you buddy, i would have to say i have been to silver flag 3 times in 3 different places and it was tougher then goodfellow, maby cause all 3 time i was on the rescue rig, ad we all know that is the only truck in the Af that works, lol

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Medic162
    You think it's hard in training...
    Wait till you gotta do it at 2 AM and it's for REAL! You guys are gonna make the "others" talk. Ya gotta be hard Rock As they say : "You can't tap out on the street" I betcha the good 'ol AF isn't dishing up more than any of you can handle! Black out??? A little more PT may be in order

what i ment by blackout was i dont remember finishing it. i guess i was just concentrating so hard on doing it.
    " IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN I CAN BLAME MY MISSPELLINGS ON MY PENCIL" -Larry The Cable Guy-

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rleslie65
    Didn't have the obsticle course when I went through it, but have done it sense then at "Silver Flag" at the age of 43.

Congrats to you buddy, i would have to say i have been to silver flag 3 times in 3 different places and it was tougher then goodfellow, maby cause all 3 time i was on the rescue rig, ad we all know that is the only truck in the Af that works, lol
    Thank you......I know what you mean about hard work. They had me crewing the rescue truck when I was there. I had a good team and they really helped me out. I'm AF Reserve and they were Active duty AF (Talk about the "blind leading the brilliant").

Looks like I might be going to Silver Flag again next year. Hope they put me on Crash.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firedawg312
    what i ment by blackout was i dont remember finishing it. i guess i was just concentrating so hard on doing it.
    Hey Bro, I'm just busting your chops! I'm a retired AF firefighter and know very well what goes on in San Angelo, still have some friends who are instructors. I'm proud of all of my brothers who wear the blue under their bunkers Get all the stuff you can out of Goodfellow, it paves the way for a STRONG future. You can't get that kind of instruction anywhere else. Blue Skies to You!
    Brian Rowe
    Paramedic/Engineer
    Colleton County Fire/Rescue

Forum Member

Well, I did it today. I passed 6 mins. We only had a couple of fails. It is tough, not to mention the wind was ripping hard and it was chilly. Goodtimes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by USAFSSGT
    Well, I did it today. I passed 6 mins. We only had a couple of fails. It is tough, not to mention the wind was ripping hard and it was chilly. Goodtimes.
    Congrats, SSgt. Keep up the good work.

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rleslie65

...i hope your not referring to the USAFE silver flag because that was a waste of time. i don't think it was harder than goodfellow.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT
    State-side Silver Flag in Florida. Don't know what happens over in Europe.

It was tough, but a good experience.
    They hold the european silver flag at Ramstein.
    I remember doing a ****load of exercises, the course they made us run was fairly easy, we had to do it in JFIRE, still pretty easy though. I like how they incorparated a quick search and rescue in the middle of it, it made it interesting.

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeEater316
    I remember doing a ****load of exercises, the course they made us run was fairly easy, we had to do it in JFIRE, still pretty easy though. I like how they incorparated a quick search and rescue in the middle of it, it made it interesting.
    When did you go through it? I was there before last AEF 1/2 rotation. USAFE has spilt alot of money into it's contingency training, and now they have a nice little spot on the south side with perfect conditions for setting up a bare base. They re-wrote the lesson plans/course plan for the USAFE silver flag and our class was the "test class" for it.

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

oh thats right, im sorry, you failed silver flag, huh

Forum Member

Default Arrr

SF was a joke.

We used a structural P19 as a primary engine. I was pretty ****ed.
    Rescue was a pickup truck, heh heh.

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

SF was a joke.

We used a structural P19 as a primary engine. I was pretty ****ed.
    Rescue was a pickup truck, heh heh.
    seriously? At least we got the P-24 and the P-30 from Rhein-Main for ours... although the P-30 would stall if you drove over 12 mph... what a pile. The medics has the CTS's van for thier ambulance for transport (and they weren't allowed to drive it 100 feet to the "CASF"... the Cadre had to drive it.) lol
    Last edited by cgerdes97; 11-27-2006 at 06:31 PM.

Forum Member

Well, I passed again. This time the real deal with full PPE and SCBA. 6:07 5 seconds slower then with the vest the first time. I was faster then all but 2 of my classmates. Damn youngins hahahaha, they only beat me by a little.

Forum Member

Havent heard from you in awhile USAFSSGT. How is the class going? I heard that there was a building search, is that true? If so, what did that intail?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Silver Flag

Gerdes,

Just curious... if you thought the Silver Flag at USAFE you attended was such a waste of time, why didn't you mention it on your critique? After all, I was one of the instructors that taught you the course and never heard or saw anything mentioned. Oh, was the Rescue class a waste of time too? Maybe we can "decertify" you if you feel that way.

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

I did write a few things down on my critique, such as stripping down to skivies in the freezing rain, or the fact that we were doing SCBA drills for 2 hours in the middle of the compound. I never harped on the instructors, I just didn't like silver flag. Rescue school is a bit different than silver flag and I had a blasty blast in school. No doubt about that.

Thread Information