MembersZone Subscriber

Default FP Ideas and Props

Our fire prevention group is under going a major overhaul. I am looking for unique ideas that you have used to get your message across and for pictures of props that your dept has built. Please email your pictures, ideas, and contact info to Bweil@nocfa.com

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

I know of a department that has a safety Puppet show for the young ones.
    I thought that was a good concept.

PM me if you would like more information.
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

Forum Member

What are your problems?

What are the messages you want to give the public?

What type of community (surburban, rural) ?

Population?

Give me an idea of what you are trying to accomplish and I'll be more than happy to share some stuff that has worked for me.

MembersZone Subscriber

We are a rural area. Like most depts I think we have a limited budget and common issues. Smoke detectors sre ok, edith is a problem, fire extinguisher knowledge and existence is non existant. Right now just getting people to our stations and be able to interact would be great, and make them more receiptive to our suggestions. I would love some ideas. We made several props this year for Fp and the interaction was awesome. I want to keep that going and keep getting the messages out. If you could email any ideas that would be great. My email is BWeil@nocfa.com

Forum Member

Find a local appliance dealer and see if they have an old traded in stove. Hopefully they'll give it to you or let you buy it very reasonably.

Then find a Wal-Mart, K-mart, whatever mart you have in the area and see if they will donate 2 or 3 CHEAP frying pans. Non-teflon, cheap metal pans will do, with lids. If you have more than one mart in the area try to get some home fire extinguishers from the one that didn't give you the pans.

At your demonstration put some kerosene and paper towels in the pans on the stove. Light them and show your audience how you can put the fire out with the lids. Invite the adults up to try the same. By using the paper towels as wicks you can keep relighting the kero until it burns itself out.

Next light the pans again but show how to use the fire extinguishers and again bring up volunteers. Explain how to put out the fire without spreading it.

This is something we do at our open houses. Once you get everything you need you only have to replenish the paper towels fire extinguishers and kerosene annually.

If you can, get the media there. Also try to get the info in the paper ahead of time to let people know what you are doing. Get your school to send home a flyer with every student listing the activities also.

Good luck.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

We just awarded a grant from State Farm To purchase a Robot From ghttp://www.robotronics.com/index.htmlot If you need Help let me know and I will share with you what we did.

Forum Member

Default photos

Quote Originally Posted by dmarshall View Post
    I am the designer of a new generation or throw flotation devices for water rescue, frigid water/swift water. I have put the first of four designs into public domain as a make it yourself self gripping device that compensates for numb hands, weak hands or any other incapacitation not allowing a victem to hold onto a rope or safety ring.

I have made prota types and tested in my local area, which is Fla. I need people to test in frigid conditions to fully ascertain the potential of the devices.

I have had little success in generating interest and need help in making the public and professionals aware of their potential for first arrivals to succeed in retrieving vicetms in a shorter time frame.

Knowing that the time factor is probably the most significiant factor inthe outcome of a rescue. the sooner medical help is applied the greater the chance for full recovery of the victem.

I haveattached photos and reports in the greetings post site not knowing where best to post it to date.

anyone interested please contact me for direct dialog regarding the devices and training program I developed.

Sincerely d.H. Marshall

Because theycan't wait use rescue.
    Hope theycome through this time.

Forum Member

Talking photo location on ideasand props post

sorry, I am having trouble sending photos. It had worked on Ideas and props; please ck the photos there

Forum Member

Talking Photos in my hello post

Quote Originally Posted by dmarshall View Post
    I am the designer of a new generation or throw flotation devices for water rescue, frigid water/swift water. I have put the first of four designs into public domain as a make it yourself self gripping device that compensates for numb hands, weak hands or any other incapacitation not allowing a victem to hold onto a rope or safety ring.

I have made prota types and tested in my local area, which is Fla. I need people to test in frigid conditions to fully ascertain the potential of the devices.

I have had little success in generating interest and need help in making the public and professionals aware of their potential for first arrivals to succeed in retrieving vicetms in a shorter time frame.

Knowing that the time factor is probably the most significiant factor inthe outcome of a rescue. the sooner medical help is applied the greater the chance for full recovery of the victem.

I haveattached photos and reports in the greetings post site not knowing where best to post it to date.

anyone interested please contact me for direct dialog regarding the devices and training program I developed.

Sincerely d.H. Marshall

Because theycan't wait use rescue.
    I guess the attachment manager only allows the same photos in one post, so please excuse my frustration and see them in my hello posts

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Modeltech's Hazard House is good tool, too. And covered under the Fire Prevention and Safety Grant program, so plan for this year (hopefully fall 2007, they realize there were problems with FY 06 being very late).

A Fire Safety Educator's Association that I belong to shares one (bought with help from a NY State Grant) with the local Burn Center.

http://www.modeltech.com/

As I noted in a previous post, check out www.homesafetycouncil.org for FREE materials, join their Expert Network. Basically have a plan, keep it simple -- have a working smoke alarm in each bedroom, on each level, etc., know two ways out and have an escape plan, never leave cooking/candles unattended, and if you must smoke, smoke outside and douse your cig's in water.

Be careful about teaching things such as how to use fire extinguishers. Some people may not call the FD right away if they try to put the fires out themselves (esp. stove top fires -- grease splatters and the fire spread/burn potential is not worth it). There's also the baking soda way.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

MembersZone Subscriber

We built 4x8 panels out of paneling and 1x4s one with a door one with a window, we put these together to make up a bedroom. The door has fire behind this so you have to exit the window. This is used to demonstate what to do if smoke alarm goes off when you are sleeping. Craw low. ck door, use 2nd exit then meet at meeting place. We also have a stop and go light, for stop drop and roll, a tree for a meeting place and a large foam phone for 911.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hey dmarshall

We run a rescue boat in the niagara river (see western new york / buffalo) If you are looking for someone to test your product give me a shout. I tried to send you a private message but your profile won't allow it. Cuurently air temp 12 deg F water 33 deg f. 1/3 of river is full of ice flows.

Thread Information