Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber tomlaumann's Avatar

Default Being An American

Teddy Roosevelt on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."
    Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I don't know how everyone else feels about immigration. My grandparents immigrated here in 1912. They embraced this nation, became American's and served this nation. Three generations to this day still serve this great nation.
    If anyone comes here to follow a dream...let them come and make sure that they have only one allegiance to America and her people.

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=tomlaumann

I don't know how everyone else feels about immigration. My grandparents immigrated here in 1912. They embraced this nation, became American's and served this nation. Three generations to this day still serve this great nation.
    If anyone comes here to follow a dream...let them come and make sure that they have only one allegiance to America and her people.[/QUOTE]
    Congrats on your folks coming to the us. i welcome all immigrants provided they come through legally and become americanized. Learn english and use it.
    J
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

S'cuse me...

I need a Beer.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi
    S'cuse me...

I need a Beer.
    Have a Budwiser...

Oh, and I agree with the quote completely. Tis something it seems our elected officials have forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9
    Have a Budwiser...

Oh, and I agree with the quote completely. Tis something it seems our elected officials have forgotten.
    Just yesterday they signed papers to build a 700 mile fence along the border.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Quote Originally Posted by BFDNJFF
    Just yesterday they signed papers to build a 700 mile fence along the border.

Uh huh. But remember that the bill did not include funding.

It also is only 700 miles of real and "virtual" fencing. This is just cameras and infra red. Yeah, that will really keep people out.

And remember that the Southern defense is about 2000 miles long.

Like it was said, the politicians have forgotten.

This is nothing more than the ol' "feel good" legislation that politicians use at election time to boost ratings, but does nothing for the cause they are proclaiming.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Any fence will be worthless, as it is flooded with folks looking for a better life, as long as we continue to have jobs available but refuse to increase the number of visas available.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Any fence will be worthless, as it is flooded with folks looking for a better life, as long as we continue to have jobs available but refuse to increase the number of visas available.
    Many of those that cross also waste our tax money, don't learn English, increase crime, and bring illegal drugs into the counrty.

Fencing has proven to not be "worthless."
    According to the evening news and a local newspaper, the fence near San Diego has reduced illegal apprehensions there by 80 percent and crime in San Diego County has dropped by 56 percent. Violent crimes dropped by 47 percent. These numbers are corroborated by the FBI crime index.
    According to the INS for 1995: Over 10 percent of all of the people apprehended at the border have criminal records, many for serious crimes. El Paso police officials estimated that undocumented aliens committed 75 to 80 percent of all auto thefts, as well as many burglaries. The Mayor of El Paso reported to INS that illegal immigration costs the city about $ 30 to $ 50 minion per year.
    The San Diego sector Border Patrol in 2004 stated that apprehensions decreased from 531,689 in 1993 (before the fence) to 111,515 in 2003.

Mexico's president is protesting the wall likening it to the Berlin Wall. He stated that last year 400 Mexicans died trying to cross the border. Hmmmm...

Here's a novel idea. Don't try and cross the border. How is that people dying trying to illegally enter this country is our fault? Yet another one from the files of the Ministry of Stupidity.
    Tom Warshaw
    Station 13 (Bethel)
    Sumter Fire Department

"Scientists believe that the world is composed mainly of hydrogen because in their opinion, it is the most abundant element. I however, feel the earth is composed mainly of stupidity, because it is more abundant than hydrogen." - Frank Zappa

September 11, 2001. We Must Never Forget.

In memory of Thomas Sabella, L-13, FDNY

All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my department or any organization I may belong to.

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyThirteen
    Mexico's president is protesting the wall likening it to the Berlin Wall. He stated that last year 400 Mexicans died trying to cross the border. Hmmmm...

Here's a novel idea. Don't try and cross the border. How is that people dying trying to illegally enter this country is our fault? Yet another one from the files of the Ministry of Stupidity.
    Mexico has nothing to gain by enforcing their side of the border, and a lot to loose. I read somewhere that US currency sent home is the 2nd leading source of foriegn income ($20bn annually).

What gets me is all the "Immigrants-Rights" groups that have sprung up. Like illegal immigrants have any rights, execept for the long bus home. They are not entitled to health care. They're not entited to jobs, or unemployment, or food stamps. They're not even entitled to take up space in our prisions.

If someone is here legally, I welcome them with open arms. If not, get the F out.

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9
    If someone is here legally, I welcome them with open arms. If not, get the F out.
    Exactly. I have no qualms with people wanting to come to this country. My ancestors did it in the early 1900s. The problem I have is when people choose to circumvent the system.
    Tom Warshaw
    Station 13 (Bethel)
    Sumter Fire Department

"Scientists believe that the world is composed mainly of hydrogen because in their opinion, it is the most abundant element. I however, feel the earth is composed mainly of stupidity, because it is more abundant than hydrogen." - Frank Zappa

September 11, 2001. We Must Never Forget.

In memory of Thomas Sabella, L-13, FDNY

All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my department or any organization I may belong to.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyThirteen
    Exactly. I have no qualms with people wanting to come to this country. My ancestors did it in the early 1900s. The problem I have is when people choose to circumvent the system.
    That's my sentiments exactly. I don't want to prevent people from being able to immigrate to this country, I just want to prevent people from coming here illegally.

I immigrated here. Albeit from England when I was like 2, but I still immigrated. I am here legally. I am a citizen. And I pay my taxes.

We need to make a way for people to enter the country legally if they want to and become citizens. That way they can be entitled to some of the finer things in America like getting a job, going to jail, paying taxes, criticizing everyone in government, and voting for new people to criticize.

I am all for a wall, just make a single crossing point in it, but make it possible for those who truly want out of their country to come here. I would think that those people would be willing to become citizens and learn English since old glory is gonna do so much for them.

Part of the problem with illegal immigration is the unwillingness to rethink NAFTA. When NAFTA was passed econ experts on both sides of the border realized that agriculture jobs would be lost in Mexico due to the competition being tilted in the favor of US farmers who compete advantageosly because of crop subsidies. The idea was that light manufacturing in northern Mexico would pick up the slack. Since that time China has emerged as a manufacturing jobs creator and the expected jobs in Mexico moved to China. Sooooo....all those ag workers just kept right on going north to where they could find work in an ag industry. We really have two choices given the present reluctance to cease crop subsidies. We either import Mexican goods or Mexican workers.

DM has it right. The projected cost is (more likely a factor of 2x or 3x is realistic) two million dollars a mile. For what this fence would eventually cost, you could hire enough border patrol officers to hold hands the length of the border and taunt in singsong, "Red Rover, Red Rover, let Pancho come over."

And that would be more effective. But if a 'feel good' fence is what people want, who am I to question the wisdom of the majority?
    Last edited by scfire86; 10-27-2006 at 04:57 PM.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

DM has it right. The projected cost is (more likely a factor of 2x or 3x is realistic) two million dollars a mile. For what this fence would eventually cost, you could hire enough border patrol officers to hold hands the length of the border and taunt in singsong, "Red Rover, Red Rover, let Pancho come over."
    Do what it takes to secure the border. More officers would be great. Just secure it. I'd rather pay for a fence and/or more officers than pay for an illegal abuse of the system.

Quote Originally Posted by emtbff927
    Many of those that cross also waste our tax money, don't learn English, increase crime, and bring illegal drugs into the counrty.

Fencing has proven to not be "worthless."
    According to the evening news and a local newspaper, the fence near San Diego has reduced illegal apprehensions there by 80 percent and crime in San Diego County has dropped by 56 percent. Violent crimes dropped by 47 percent. These numbers are corroborated by the FBI crime index.
    According to the INS for 1995: Over 10 percent of all of the people apprehended at the border have criminal records, many for serious crimes. El Paso police officials estimated that undocumented aliens committed 75 to 80 percent of all auto thefts, as well as many burglaries. The Mayor of El Paso reported to INS that illegal immigration costs the city about $ 30 to $ 50 minion per year.
    The San Diego sector Border Patrol in 2004 stated that apprehensions decreased from 531,689 in 1993 (before the fence) to 111,515 in 2003.
    Are you referring to criminals on our side of the border?
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

I like the idea of building guard towers every mile and fitting them with a Barret .50 and tell the border agents to fire at will

Are you referring to criminals on our side of the border?
    I don't know if this is a rhetorical question, but I'll answer anyway.
    On our side of the border...yes...ALL crimes/criminals were tallied, except when they refer to the one's "apprehended at the border," I believe they are talking about illegal aliens arrested/caught at the border crossing rather than in the inner parts of the county.

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

Arrow That magnificent Lady...that stands watch at the entrance to New York harbor..

The New Colossus
    Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
    with conquering limbs astride from land to land;
    Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
    a mighty woman with a torch
    whose flame is imprisoned lightning,
    and her name Mother of Exiles.

From her beacon-hand glows
    world-wide welcome;
    her mild eyes command the air-bridged harbor
    that twin cities frame.
    "Keep ancient lands your storied pomp!"
    cries she with silent lips.

"Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Emma Lazarus (1849-1887)
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

"Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
    Unless, of course, they are brown and speak Spanish.

I like the idea of building guard towers every mile and fitting them with a Barret .50 and tell the border agents to fire at will
    Who would you shoot first? The women? The children? Or, maybe just mow down entire families?
    I like the idea of you getting a frickin' clue.

Hook & Can

Last edited by Nine3Probie; 07-28-2013 at 06:12 PM.

Thread Information