Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Phenix Leather helmets

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MassFireGuy View Post
    How are Phenix leather doing? Don't hear about them much anymore and it seems the questions on here stopped. Hell, you can't even find them on ebay anymore.
    They had a pretty nice booth at FDIC. I sent them an email after I recieved my helmet telling them how much I liked their product and last I checked, they put a quote from me on the front page of their site
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Quote Originally Posted by kiltedfool View Post
    just a bit of info for those of us in the south east. John"Bart"Simpson is a phenix Leather authorized dealer out of Florida.If any of you are F.O.O.L.S you probably know of him,(if you don't ,look it up).Not a bad guy to have sell your product dont you agree.

thanks I'm Florida also, i will try to look him up. I would love to see one in person. The Sam Houston looks sweet but I'm not a fan of Paul Conway.

Forum Member

Cool Phenix Leathers in Florida

If you go to the Phenix website he is listed as a purchase rep. His e-mail is
    fdtrn1@aol.com Phone# (321)403-7814.our F.O.O.L.S chapter had contacted him about them and he sent out a few samples,Including one he wears and a new one. I don't know if I would have been so generous. Great guy to deal with and talk to. One of the guys in my dept purchased a new N6A , hasn't even seen any action yet. It fell out of the engineers compartment, hit the ground from a few feet up and a 5-6 inch chunk of paint came off the rear brim area and left a big white patch, so he is sending it back. So the helmet looked nice but the quality is definitely lacking. Plus the Houston was quite a bit heavier than the phenix and forget the Conway.

Talking

Does anyone know some good sites to order the front shield for the TL2?? Some of the sites have only the 6" LA style shields. I'm looking a different style with the velcro in the middle. Sam Houston has some sweet looking ones but their website is a little screwy.

Can't wait to get my helmet!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrFire11 View Post
    Does anyone know some good sites to order the front shield for the TL2?? Some of the sites have only the 6" LA style shields. I'm looking a different style with the velcro in the middle. Sam Houston has some sweet looking ones but their website is a little screwy.

Can't wait to get my helmet!
    This guy was selling shields at Firehouse Expo.

www.gloveholders.com

I bought one but it still hasnt come in yet.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

I read through all 12 pages of this thread but couldn't find an answer. Does phenix custom make helmets for different head sizes? I have a rather large head that neither cairns helmet will fit and really want a leather helmet. thanks in advance.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LT8npfd View Post
    I read through all 12 pages of this thread but couldn't find an answer. Does phenix custom make helmets for different head sizes? I have a rather large head that neither cairns helmet will fit and really want a leather helmet. thanks in advance.
    According to their web site they can.

"Our standard suspension liners are fully adjustable from 6 " to 8 ". If necessary, other sizing adjustments may be made upon request."

http://www.phenixfirehelmets.com/products_tl2.html

Forum Member

Forgot to mention I'm getting my new phenix leather in a week. I'll take pictures of it compared to the N6A that sits idle for now.

Photobucket

Phenix TL-2

Phenix TL-2

Phenix TL-2
    Last edited by HFDCasiano; 09-06-2009 at 03:07 PM.

Thumbs up

^^^Looks like you need a new shield!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HFDCasiano View Post
    Forgot to mention I'm getting my new phenix leather in a week. I'll take pictures of it compared to the N6A that sits idle for now.

Photobucket

Phenix TL-2

Phenix TL-2

Phenix TL-2
    Like the lid. My TL2 is the same with the black scotchlite. I love the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    This guy was selling shields at Firehouse Expo.

www.gloveholders.com

I bought one but it still hasnt come in yet.
    Shield came in last week and I love it! I'll try to get a pic of it up here shortly.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MassFireGuy View Post
    How are Phenix leather doing? Don't hear about them much anymore and it seems the questions on here stopped. Hell, you can't even find them on ebay anymore.
    I was wondering the same thing. Even the Fire Store who carries their plastic helmets does not carry the leather versions.

Forum Member

They are doing good I assume. It took 8 weeks to get mine. I called at 5 weeks and the lady I had spoke with was telling me they have a alot of orders and mine was next up. I have a 5a that my grandad passed along and that is one awesome leather, however its time and abuse dated back to the late 70's and it was time for me to retire and move on. I got a N6A made in 04', didnt really like it much so i stayed with my ben II and ordered the Phenix. Well I sold the N6A and kept my Phenix. My first day of the tour we made a house fire and it took a beating and it held up strong. These are the next big thing. I hope they never change or sell out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrFire11 View Post
    ^^^Looks like you need a new shield!
    Yeah im tooling mine out out as we speak. This is what the end result will be once painted and smoothed out.

Photobucket

Forum Member

Good looking shield! Is that the one that comes with the helmet or did you order it rom somewhere else?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

making them myself. It is a little cheaper that way.

Default my phenix and shield

shield made by a retired firefighter.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Forum Member

Awesome, looks like you do great work.

But arent shield factored into the price of the Phenix helmets?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

They are included in the price. I decided to make my own though. More of a hobby than a job.

Forum Member

How do you do that? Go out and get some leather then somehow imprint the numbers and paint it then?

Sldo.....

Here is my new shield.....

MAP
    Forum Member

Thanks to everyones input I not only decided to purchase a leather helmet, I decided to purchase 2! haha

I couldn't make up my mind and since everyone in my department has a Sam Houston or a New Yorker and not a TL2, I went ahead and ordered a Sam Houston and a TL2. Sounds crazy but the best way to figure this out is to try both. David at handtubs.com was very friendly and had so much confidence in his product he gave me a money back guarantee. As you all know it takes 6 weeks for a TL2 to come in. This will give me plenty of time to try out the Sam Houston I purchased at the FireStore, and worse case sell it on ebay. The good news is I'll be able to give everyone a side by side comparison on both helmets with some in service feed back with pictures.

Thanks again and I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday!

Forum Member

how do you go about making the shields? I've always thought it would be cool to mess around with, I'm just not sure what type of tools I'd need to start.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MAP View Post
    Thanks to everyones input I not only decided to purchase a leather helmet, I decided to purchase 2! haha

I couldn't make up my mind and since everyone in my department has a Sam Houston or a New Yorker and not a TL2, I went ahead and ordered a Sam Houston and a TL2. Sounds crazy but the best way to figure this out is to try both. David at handtubs.com was very friendly and had so much confidence in his product he gave me a money back guarantee. As you all know it takes 6 weeks for a TL2 to come in. This will give me plenty of time to try out the Sam Houston I purchased at the FireStore, and worse case sell it on ebay. The good news is I'll be able to give everyone a side by side comparison on both helmets with some in service feed back with pictures.

Thanks again and I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday!
    I did the very same thing. The TL2 came in first and then the New Yorker. The day I got the Cairns it was on ebay. Phenix is it brother ! Lighter, tanned leather and not painted, old school look and just plain bad *** !

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    how do you go about making the shields? I've always thought it would be cool to mess around with, I'm just not sure what type of tools I'd need to start.
    Well you will need a good tooling leather. 10-12 oz leather is great for our line of work. Some tanning dye, I used Fiebing's Leather Dye in USMC Black. I also used Eco-Flo Leather Dye Assortment Pack for the other colors.

Tools used were a Craftool Pro Modeling Tool Point/Stylus, B201 Craftool Beveler Stamp and a Al Stohlman Brand Stainless Steel Swivel Knives

I bought all these items at Tandy Leather co. I also used tracing paper to transfer my lettering and numbering to the leather. You use the stylus to trace the design, then the hard part of carving it and then I retraced it. Then I used the beveler to make the letters appear raised.

The dying is the very last step. It takes a few times to get it down but it really is not to hard. Their are alot of videos on how to do basic leather work. It can be fun a rewarding once you get it down. I just wish I had more time to make them.

Forum Member

After reading this forum, numerous times I finally ordered a TL2. Once I did that 3 other firefighters in my dept ordered them too. I would love to get peoples opinion on the Sam Brown shields. They appear to be great quality, but I am not sure about the lettering. I am tempted to order a Shield from thefirestore.com, as I know they also fit.

Forum Member

I think a TL-2 will be my Christmas present to myself. I really like what I am seeing.

And it is hard to go wrong with a FireStore shield. I have ordered 3 from them and all came exactly as ordered in about 2 weeks.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Thread Information