Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Phenix Leather helmets

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    Mine should be here by the end of the week. I happened to get an awesome deal on it and it was a no brainer purchase with all of the awesome reviews on here.

It cant get here fast enough!!!
    Let me know when you get it.....
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Quote Originally Posted by firenresq77 View Post
    Let me know when you get it.....

And kick Mini-Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    And kick Mini-Me too.
    Jake knows better....... He almost got bit once........

You on the other hand........... Mini-Me misses you!!!
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    IACOJ

Just got mine in the mail today. Took it out of the box, put it on and didn't want to take it off. In fact, the only reason I did take it off was because I had to go to the dentist. I can't even describe how comfortable it is. Its awesome!
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Just got mine in the mail today. Took it out of the box, put it on and didn't want to take it off. In fact, the only reason I did take it off was because I had to go to the dentist. I can't even describe how comfortable it is. Its awesome!
    Did you order it red so you can give it to me?
    IACOJ

Quote Originally Posted by firenresq77 View Post
    Did you order it red so you can give it to me?
    Aw man! I forgot to tell you that the only color availible from the guy I got it from was black! Sorry

When ya want to try it on?
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Aw man! I forgot to tell you that the only color availible from the guy I got it from was black! Sorry

When ya want to try it on?
    I can paint it!!!!
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Default TL-2 Issues

Have now owned my TL2 for 2 years.. No paint has chipped off, no damage to the leather.. was red, now a deep mahogany.. kinda neat really.

However, would like to know from some of you folks that have recently received a new TL-2... is the interior suspension system still flimsy?? and does the front (forehead) band still ride up?? While I generally do like the helmet, I do share that one gripe with the other poster.. that the suspension is a load of bollocks. So would love to know they've corrected that one (and in my opinion only) flaw.

Cairns Leather Forever!!!

Have Had 2 Cairns N5a "natural" New Yorkers Have Never Had A Problem With Them I Tried On A Tl2 And It's Just Not For Me I'll Stick With The Real Deal
    FFII/EMT-B/RESCUE TECH/HAZMAT TECH/911 DISP

FIRST IN AND LAST OUT.....GO HARD OR GO HOME

"LEATHER FOREVER"

"FOLLOW ME"

"PROBIE GET ME A SANDWHICH"

Forum Member

What is the "Real Deal"

Forum Member

I love the outside of the Phenix TL2 like I have stated before but the suspension of the helmet is lacking big time. I would own one in a heart beat but when I tried on the helmet it felt more like a children's helmet then a fire helmet because of the suspension.

The Real Deal For Me Is The Low Fit I Now Have A Red Pre Ratchet Version Of The New Yorker And I Love Them Even More
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    FFII/EMT-B/RESCUE TECH/HAZMAT TECH/911 DISP

FIRST IN AND LAST OUT.....GO HARD OR GO HOME

"LEATHER FOREVER"

"FOLLOW ME"

"PROBIE GET ME A SANDWHICH"

Quote Originally Posted by Calphenix View Post
    What is the "Real Deal"
    A Cairns leather.

Forum Member

What is the Phenix not leather and dont you mean the MSA leather
    Last edited by Calphenix; 11-25-2008 at 03:23 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Calphenix-

Tread very lightly in these forums. Manufacturers/companies don't fair well against firemen here. You obviously have a skewed opinion, and people will use that against you. The "don't you mean 'MSA Leather'" comment will come off as a cheap shot. If your helmets stand the test of time like Cairns (MSA, whatever), then maybe people will be swearing by your lids in the future. Remember the fire service is all about 100s of years of tradition, unimpeded by progress. It takes a lot of time to make changes that we (fireman) accept. Not only that, we are very critical about new products. If you make something for us, we will do everything we can to try and break it.

That being said, if you look through the forums, you will see your helmet is very well liked. In fact, the only complaint is that the liner/suspension system seems a little flimsy. Maybe this is a good place to get some ideas on how to improve it.

Secondly, you will also find that many people are becoming less enchanted with the "Cairns" helmets, now that they have been taken over by MSA. Seems to be par for the course when a small family company gets taken over by big business.

As for me, I will wear my Sam Houston until it falls apart (its going on 20 years and only needed a few paint jobs). I am very interested in your TL-2 as it is definitely lighter than mine, but unfortunately it is not approved for use in my department (yet).

Stay Safe
    Chris Polimeni
    Prince George's County FD
    Back at the Big 29er

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cap6888 View Post
    Calphenix-

Tread very lightly in these forums. Manufacturers/companies don't fair well against firemen here. You obviously have a skewed opinion, and people will use that against you. The "don't you mean 'MSA Leather'" comment will come off as a cheap shot. If your helmets stand the test of time like Cairns (MSA, whatever), then maybe people will be swearing by your lids in the future. Remember the fire service is all about 100s of years of tradition, unimpeded by progress. It takes a lot of time to make changes that we (fireman) accept. Not only that, we are very critical about new products. If you make something for us, we will do everything we can to try and break it.

That being said, if you look through the forums, you will see your helmet is very well liked. In fact, the only complaint is that the liner/suspension system seems a little flimsy. Maybe this is a good place to get some ideas on how to improve it.

Secondly, you will also find that many people are becoming less enchanted with the "Cairns" helmets, now that they have been taken over by MSA. Seems to be par for the course when a small family company gets taken over by big business.

As for me, I will wear my Sam Houston until it falls apart (its going on 20 years and only needed a few paint jobs). I am very interested in your TL-2 as it is definitely lighter than mine, but unfortunately it is not approved for use in my department (yet).

Stay Safe

Cap I understand I to am a Firefighter and was not putting anybody down, or taking a cheap shot. Your right Cairns has been around a long time but they were purchased by MSA I am not in the business of badmouthing any other helmet companys.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just got mine in the other day. It's a huge difference in fit and weight feel than my PC American heritage. Definitely worth the wait. People are surprised it's a leather when hold it beside my 1010's weight. Yes, both helmets have the same things on them to be a fair comparison.
    The leather shield mount studs, can some of you send back the width measurement. It will not fit my old shield. My old shield is regular shield for Carns 1010. The holes will end up being on the seam of shield. I'm just checking to see if mine are to wide or if they are right.

I keep getting more and more compliments on mine. Just took a live fire class all last week and got the little guy pretty crisp. I really like it and do not find it to be heavy at all.

One of these days I'll post pics.

Default phenix nape strap

Hey CALPHENIX can you supply a few closeup pics of the nape strap option for us. If it is lower profile than the ratchet,I may go with that. I want a Leather but it has to be NFPA(sorry new yorker). So it comes down to The Phenix which so far am diggin the pics, and the N6a. Dont like the weight,or the paint chipping/repainting issue. I also have noticed a fair amount of issues on here regarding the quality and fit of the MSA made N6a. Tried the PC didnt like at all.

Question nape strap for the phenix.

Does anyone have an image,close up or info as to the comfort or size of the nape strap.How about you calphenix. I have a small melon and the ratchet style on my regular gets in the way a little. So want to know if anyone has one with the nape strap.Great pics everyone, very helpfull on my decision process. Is the quality of the N6a really lacking that bad now that MSA owns them. I have to have the NFPA sticker , so no New Yorker for me. I didnt care for the Paul Conway. So it is down to The N6A and the Phenix.

Thread Information