Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Phenix Leather helmets

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HFDCasiano View Post
    Well you will need a good tooling leather. 10-12 oz leather is great for our line of work. Some tanning dye, I used Fiebing's Leather Dye in USMC Black. I also used Eco-Flo Leather Dye Assortment Pack for the other colors.

Tools used were a Craftool Pro Modeling Tool Point/Stylus, B201 Craftool Beveler Stamp and a Al Stohlman Brand Stainless Steel Swivel Knives

I bought all these items at Tandy Leather co. I also used tracing paper to transfer my lettering and numbering to the leather. You use the stylus to trace the design, then the hard part of carving it and then I retraced it. Then I used the beveler to make the letters appear raised.

The dying is the very last step. It takes a few times to get it down but it really is not to hard. Their are alot of videos on how to do basic leather work. It can be fun a rewarding once you get it down. I just wish I had more time to make them.
    Interesting, you'll have to post some pictures of the finished products. I'll have to give it a try, thanks for the info.

Forum Member

Here is my New TL2. Love the helmet. Worth every penny, but not too sure about the shield. I find the lettering small and the numbers small. What shields are people using. Maybe it is just because it is different. I am used to Paul Conway shields.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Forum Member

Good looking lid. Is that the shield that comes with the helmet?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MAP
    Forum Member

Just got my new Sam Houston today. Not impressed with the craftsmanship / quality of the leather, not-to-mention the paint is already chipping!! I know everyone of them are hand made and won't be perfect but I felt if I paid $535 it should have been better. Also, the lid sits so high on my head I feel like I have a giant light bulb! I'm sending this thing back and exchanging it for the New Yorker, maybe that will sit lower, and the craftsmanship will be better as well. Meanwhile I anxiously await the TL2....
    Last edited by MAP; 12-02-2009 at 07:27 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MAP View Post
    Just got my new Sam Houston today. Not impressed with the craftsmanship / quality of the leather, not-to-mention the paint is already chipping!! I know everyone of them are hand made and won't be perfect but I felt if I paid $535 it should have been better. Also, the lid sits so high on my head I feel like I have a giant light bulb! I'm sending this thing back and exchanging it for the New Yorker, maybe that will sit lower, and the craftsmanship will be better as well. Meanwhile I anxiously await the TL2....
    The New Yorker will sit lower, but the quality will be the same...

I got one of the last Cairns and Brothers lids before MSA took over.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MAP
    Forum Member

Captain you're right, I'm not even gonna bother wasting my time and money. I'm going to return the Sam Houston and just wait for the TL2. From everything I've read I should have known this was gonna happen. Oh well, at least I can get my money back.

Forum Member

GT....that is the shield that comes with it. They are great quality shields,

Forum Member

I just got a TL2 the other day. After wearing a Sam Houston for over 12 years and loving it, I am now a sell out. The TL2 sits lower, is lighter weight and should not crack due to the fact that it is not as rigid. This will definitely be my recommendation in the future. Plus, I can get them for well over $150 less than a Sam Houston or New Yorker.....faster too.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KFD94 View Post
    After reading this forum, numerous times I finally ordered a TL2. Once I did that 3 other firefighters in my dept ordered them too. I would love to get peoples opinion on the Sam Brown shields. They appear to be great quality, but I am not sure about the lettering. I am tempted to order a Shield from thefirestore.com, as I know they also fit.
    Sam Brown's shield will fit the TL2 fine. As a matter of fact the shield will be nicer than the helmet, but to each his own.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MAP View Post
    Not to discourage you, but the paint will "scrape" off the TL2 as well. Leather helmets will all do this. Atleast it will make you look salty. If I can I will take a pic of what a TL2 will look like with the scraped off leather.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jbrescue View Post
    I just got a TL2 the other day. After wearing a Sam Houston for over 12 years and loving it, I am now a sell out. The TL2 sits lower, is lighter weight and should not crack due to the fact that it is not as rigid. This will definitely be my recommendation in the future. Plus, I can get them for well over $150 less than a Sam Houston or New Yorker.....faster too.
    Where did you get yours? I cannot seem to find many dealers for them. I am trying to fix my N6A right now to get it to fit right. But if this effort fails, i might be looking at a new leather.

Forum Member

Email me at jason@jbrescue.com. I can get them.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jbrescue View Post
    Email me at jason@jbrescue.com. I can get them.
    Sent you an email...

MAP
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MassFireGuy View Post
    Not to discourage you, but the paint will "scrape" off the TL2 as well. Leather helmets will all do this. Atleast it will make you look salty. If I can I will take a pic of what a TL2 will look like with the scraped off leather.
    MassFireGuy, you do realize your the only one in this entire thread that has talked negatively about the TL2 and given the most hype about the Cairns. It's great you love the Cairns, but unfortunately my first impression of it wasn't good to say the least.

If i pay $535 (that's with a discount), I expect it to be at least perfect out of the box. It was far from it, which leads me to believe Cairns wasn't ever and will never be the same after the MSA buy out. The quality just wasn't there and that's a fact. Read this entire thread, start to finish, I'm not the only one who has the same opinion. I would have loved to have the same quality and craftsmanship that once was the tradition of Cairns. Unfortunately, those days are over, and if I want to experience that tradition today, I either have to buy a pre MSA Cairns or buy a new Phenix TL2. I choose to go the safe route, buy a brand new TL2 and experience what Cairns once had and what Phenix takes pride in....quality & craftsmanship.

Forum Member

the Phenix shields are made by Sam Brown Shields in Nicholasville KY

Forum Member

I am starting to get used to the sam brown shields now. I am sure it will look even better once it is seasoned.

We dont have any phenix dealers here in Canada, but I just wanted to say that phenix technology had the best customer service out of any company I have ever dealt with. IMO, the are a class 1 organization, great service, great product.

Forum Member

Sam Brown's shield will fit the TL2 fine. As a matter of fact the shield will be nicer than the helmet, but to each his own.
    That is a Sam Brown shield that is on the helmet. They are Great quality just as nice as the helmet

Forum Member

Well for future buyeers of the TL-2, the single biggest difference that is to be noted is the paint vs. dye. The Cairns I bought was painted like they all are and as I was replacing the factory tets, the adhesive from the tets pulled the paint and primer right off the damn helmet. This was a brand new out of the box helmet. I understand that paint falls chips and cracks with age but new out of the box is BS.

When I got my TL-2 I noticed that the black helmet I ordered, was dyed or painted very well. Working in Houston it got some good fires and only minor scratches revealed the leather. A sharpie fixed it quick.

Hopefully Phenix will not sell out and produce the crap that MSA is. Plus they just look way better !

Forum Member

Phenix TL2's
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MAP
    Forum Member

Nice! Your department issue the TL2's or did your crew buy them?

Forum Member

Simply stating my opinion. That is what this thread is about. I am sorry if it is not what you wanted to hear. I have read this whole thread, as I have been a part of it from the start. I don't care what you where, so long as its not a salad bowel.

makes good girls go bad

I don't care what you where, so long as its not a salad bowel.
    Bowel? Who wears salad sh*t on their head?

I have a TT lid for EMS/Rescue ops, a leather for Firefighting, and another TT for wildfires.
    A different lid for different missions.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Originally Posted by MassFireGuy
    I don't care what you where, so long as its not a salad bowel.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    Progressive West Coast Departments?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Permanently Removed

LOL, funny.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post

I have a TT lid for EMS/Rescue ops, a leather for Firefighting, and another TT for wildfires.
    A different lid for different missions.
    Still trying to get used to my touch screen phone, but I am sure we all knew what was meant. Then again I would rather have sh*t on my head than one of those dumb helmets

Thread Information