Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Phenix Leather helmets

makes good girls go bad

I know what you were getting at, just had to bust your balls a little bit.

I do love my tactical tupperwear lid on wildfires.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MAP View Post
    Nice! Your department issue the TL2's or did your crew buy them?
    we bought them ourselves

Forum Member

Casiano, could you post some pictures of your shields as you go through the steps of making them?

I know I keep asking you questions about making the shields, but it would be great to see some process pictures before I go destroy some leather trying to make some.

MAP
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    Casiano, could you post some pictures of your shields as you go through the steps of making them?

I know I keep asking you questions about making the shields, but it would be great to see some process pictures before I go destroy some leather trying to make some.
    I've have a suggestion.

Why don't we start a new Forum about how to make leather shields, since we are stepping away form the subject of this thread. I'm sure many people are interested in the process of making a shield, me included! I've always wanted to learn how to make my own shield but wouldn't have a clue where to start. Who ever starts the new forum please do us all a favor of forwarding us the link on this thread.

Happy Holidays!

Forum Member

thats an excellent suggestion, and since you thought it up you should lead the effort.

good ideas never go unpunished
    Last edited by nameless; 12-08-2009 at 08:41 PM.

MAP
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    thats an excellent suggestion, and since you thought it up you should lead the effort.

good ideas never go unpunished
    Alright boys and girls have at it!!!

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...54#post1121254

Forum Member

Talking

Got my new TL-2. Just trying to decide which front to use. What do you think?

Happy Holidays and Stay Safe!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SLCfireguy View Post

Nice lid. I am still undecided on whether or not ill get a TL2. I have an N6A now that i am not in love with fit wise. It's the older model without the ratchet and it cannot be retrofitted. I really want to try one on before i buy it.

As for your shield, touch call. They both look pretty nice. The white version looks more professional. The black version just looks cool. Hell, change it every month,

Forum Member

Well, since red lettering denotes a truck company and white denotes an engine then I would say the one with white lettering. You should look for all the hidden things on the brim in the vines. I believe there is a 9-11 and W6. Take a look.

Forum Member

I was really nervous about pulling the trigger on the helmet. I'm a relatively young Captain, and I've got a 30 year fire guy that likes to make fun of things! So I showed him the helmet yesterday and waited anxiously to see how much fun he'd make of me. He is not a big fan of heavy helmets. He was actually pretty impressed after putting it on how light it felt and how nice it looked. So that made the rest of the shift nice. Now to get it a little dirty!

Hey Mass: I've never heard anything about color of lettering meaning anything for engine or truck companies. Is that your department or a regional thing? Not many people out here in Utah use traditional helmets. So we have no standard like that that I've seen.

P.S. My kids said the same thing, the black and red looks "cool" Dad, the other one looks more "adult". I guess they know their Dad pretty well!
    Last edited by SLCfireguy; 12-11-2009 at 07:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Forum Member

From what I've found on line since Mass's post:

FDNY:

Black "shield" with the following "insert" colors:

Black with white numbers is Engine
    Red with white numbers is truck
    Blue with white numbers is Rescue
    Yellow with white numbers is squad company

Also, isn't the FDNY style front a large pinned panel that would be colored based on the assignment with the corresponding station numbers and then FDNY on the bottom rocker? They don't typically have any other rockers on it do they?

So all of FDNY's numbers are white, but the insert panel changes based on the company designation? Is that how you also do it MASS?

But the same article goes on to say that as usual, everybody does it a little differently.
    Last edited by SLCfireguy; 12-11-2009 at 07:50 PM. Reason: updated

MAP
    Forum Member

Nice Lid! My choice is the white lettering. It'a s better contrast, and looks sharp in my opinion. I have someone in my station with red lettering on black backing, and after the first fire you can barely see the letters. Plus like it was mentioned....white letters are for Engine.

Forum Member

From what I've found on line since Mass's post:

FDNY:

Black "shield" with the following "insert" colors:

Black with white numbers is Engine
    Red with white numbers is truck
    Blue with white numbers is Rescue
    Yellow with white numbers is squad company.
    It just goes by background colors. Not the lettering. They all have white letters. And Blue is also HazMat. Orange is Probationary FF. Green is Marine Companies, Brown was Fire Patrol. As far as helmet colors, Black is Company Officers and FireFighters, White is Chiefs and Chaplains, Red is Fire Patrol and Yellow is Auxiliaries.

Also, isn't the FDNY style front a large pinned panel that would be colored based on the assignment with the corresponding station numbers and then FDNY on the bottom rocker? They don't typically have any other rockers on it do they?.
    The center panel is held in place on the bottom by the attachment posts to the helmet and the top by special screws with nuts on the back. This makes it simple to change the panel depending on the company. 5-10 minutes and your shield is correct for your new assignment. FDNY helmet shields do not say FDNY on them (Except senior members with painted shields) The bottom ID panel (Rocker) has the FF's ID number. White numbers on a black background. FDNY shields do not have top panels. Things change with officers obviously. I am only talking about the standard, most common shield system.

But the same article goes on to say that as usual, everybody does it a little differently.
    There is no "official" color scheme for all Firefighting. It's whatever they use, depending on location. There is no way to simply look at ay shield from anywhere in the US and say "Oh, it has white letters (Or background) so he must be on an engine". That is not how it works everywhere.
    Last edited by WD6956; 12-11-2009 at 09:20 PM.

Forum Member

Is there anyway to order a phenix without goggles, shield and the accessory pack?
    32, 343....neVer forgeT

Forum Member

This is the best you can do without the front and the woowoo fun pack. They googles will come no matter what. NFPA reasons. http://www.illinoisfirestore.com/ser...er-TL-2/Detail

Forum Member

You can order it without the goggles directly from the company. Just look up Phenix fire helmets on line. However they won't put the NFPA sticker on the inside unless it has the goggles on the outside when it leaves their shop.

I already had brand new goggles so they let me ship them to them and then they mounted them on the new helmet for me. This allowed them to certify that at time of manufacture, the helmet met with and complied to the NFPA standard.

If you don't need a NFPA compliant helmet, they can do no eye protection, or flip downs. They also have different reflective trapazoid options that aren't NFPA compliant that you can choose.

They will build you what you want. And I must say that the service is second to none. I talked with the staff a couple of different times and they treated me very very well, and were very patient with all of my questions. Give the company a call and tell them what you want, I bet they can make it happen.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HFDCasiano View Post
    This is the best you can do without the front and the woowoo fun pack. They googles will come no matter what. NFPA reasons. http://www.illinoisfirestore.com/ser...er-TL-2/Detail
    That price can actually be beat if you tak to some dealers. I have had two dealers so far beat that price. I am still awaiting approval to order one.

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by ABds06 View Post
    Is there anyway to order a phenix without goggles, shield and the accessory pack?
    Sure thing.
    And it saves you a buttload of money.
    talk to Dave, and handtub junction.
    Google it.
    tell him AJ from North Wildwood Fire Dept sent ya.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HFDCasiano View Post
    I know, I hate those damn goggles. I have them hanging up on my gear rack. They do no good and definitely not more good than safety glasses. It's just that my FD will supply me with goggles and a shield. The less money I can spend the better, especially being a poor college kid (i think i talked about this on the "other" site).
    32, 343....neVer forgeT

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    Sure thing.
    And it saves you a buttload of money.
    talk to Dave, and handtub junction.
    Google it.
    tell him AJ from North Wildwood Fire Dept sent ya.
    AJ (and i take this from the other site), telling someone I know you doesn't get me a thing, haha!
    32, 343....neVer forgeT

Forum Member

I've always seen

white letters on black for Engine FF
    black letters on white for Engine boss

white letters on red for Truck FF
    red letters on white for Truck Boss

while there is no national standard on colors, the white background seems to be an easy way to denote an officer.
    Last edited by nameless; 12-13-2009 at 02:54 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Is someone able to post a TL2 next to a new Cairns for sizing comparison. I hate the new tall domes of the Cairns, but I'm not sure I can find a Phenix to put my hands on locally?

As for price, this looks like the best I can find: http://www.emergencyresponderproducts.com/trlefihe.html

Order anyway you want from the looks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Is someone able to post a TL2 next to a new Cairns for sizing comparison. I hate the new tall domes of the Cairns, but I'm not sure I can find a Phenix to put my hands on locally?

As for price, this looks like the best I can find: http://www.emergencyresponderproducts.com/trlefihe.html

Order anyway you want from the looks.
    Very deceiving how they show their pricing. By the time you add all the options back in, you are right back to where just about everyone else sells them for. I can also tell you that they have left off the front. So, expect to add another $40 at least. I can do much better than they show for sure.

I have a Sam Houston that is 12 years old. I can tell you that by spec alone, it is 9oz heavier than a TL2. I think it is even heavier than that. I will be switching to a TL2 for myself, and not just because I am selling them. They are lighter, sit lower and seem to be built much better in general.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

what's your website and/or prices? Also, what is a nape strap for the suspension? Thanks
    32, 343....neVer forgeT

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by ABds06 View Post
    AJ (and i take this from the other site), telling someone I know you doesn't get me a thing, haha!
    It gets you all sorts of wonderful things!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Thread Information