Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Phenix Leather helmets

Forum Member

When MSA bought Cairns they were shipping them that way for a while.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KFD94 View Post
    This is the Leather Cairns liner that I modified to fit the Phenix. Makes the helmet that much more enjoyable.
    Awesome. I am going to have to do some test fitting on mine to make it work.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

This is the Leather Cairns liner that I modified to fit the Phenix. Makes the helmet that much more enjoyable.
    What did you do?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MassFireGuy View Post
    What did you do?
    Second picture. He cut the felt backing to fit around the impact cap.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MassFireGuy View Post
    What did you do?
    Thats right GT. WHen you look at the cairns liner it is basically one whole piece with no cuts or anything in it. It also has velcro tabs to secure it in a helmet.

With the phenix. They have those rubber retentions (you can see it in the second picture, just to the right of my fingers.) I have to cut it so it would fit around it.

For those who have the cairns liner: If you just try attaching it as it comes, you will see where the liner bunches up and does not fit nice and flat. All I did was just cut a small line so it fits around the suspension.

If this does not make total sense I appologize. it is early, and I am headed to work. I will try and take some better pics if you guys want.

Forum Member

Does anyone use the GloFlex Tetrahedrons on their helmets?
    I would steer clear of them. GloFlex has a very poor quality adhesive. I had a sheet of Tets and bars from them that we used on some Pelican style cases and the adhesive never seems to dry. On a warm day (i don't mean super hot, just warm) you can move them around. The adhesive is like jelly. I called and complained and they sent me two new sets. I figured it was a fluke. But the ones they sent me were the same thing. A few months later, we had a case sitting out in the sunlight. The Tets and Bars were sliding down the case and falling off! We had prepped the surfaces with alcahol as well, so it was not a contamination issue.

If you have ever handled sheets of Scotchlite or Reflexite stickers, you probably noticed there is no issue with adhesive getting on your hands. But if you pick up a sheet of GloFlex, the adhesive is all around the edges and sticks to your fingers. The stuff is terrible. And getting the residue off anything you stick these things too is a nightmare.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    I would steer clear of them. GloFlex has a very poor quality adhesive. I had a sheet of Tets and bars from them that we used on some Pelican style cases and the adhesive never seems to dry. On a warm day (i don't mean super hot, just warm) you can move them around. The adhesive is like jelly. I called and complained and they sent me two new sets. I figured it was a fluke. But the ones they sent me were the same thing. A few months later, we had a case sitting out in the sunlight. The Tets and Bars were sliding down the case and falling off! We had prepped the surfaces with alcahol as well, so it was not a contamination issue.

If you have ever handled sheets of Scotchlite or Reflexite stickers, you probably noticed there is no issue with adhesive getting on your hands. But if you pick up a sheet of GloFlex, the adhesive is all around the edges and sticks to your fingers. The stuff is terrible. And getting the residue off anything you stick these things too is a nightmare.
    +1

Some of our helmets were issued with these ( about the time of the change-over, I would guess ). The stickers come off under a hard stare.

Forum Member

Thinking about selling my tl2
    hasnt even been used yet just put my old borkes on it so those would go with it
    do know yet just not sure if id rather have a n6a
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

SAFD:

Where you at? I'd like to look at that helmet; see what they're all about. If you do get a Houston, everything you've read is pretty close: try to get hold of one made in the mid-ninties. The crown will be smaller, and it'll just generally be more...solid, as compared to the more recent N6a's.
    I've been wearing the leathers for about 12 years and I don't think I'd buy a 2010 made Houston, but I'd like to see what the Phenix helmets feel like after all the bru-ha-ha...

Forum Member

Steve Nunn @ T11-A .
    yeah just not sure about it. It is nice but just different and you know how that goes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ENG4SAFD View Post
    Steve Nunn @ T11-A .
    yeah just not sure about it. It is nice but just different and you know how that goes.
    Indeed I do.
    I'll have to get my lazy butt outta the house to see it before shift change in the near future. I'm over at 1's on the B.

Forum Member

Has anyone ordered the TL2 with the Boston Flat style bend? I would love to see pics

Forum Member

I see that some of y'alls helmets are bent a little different. I just got a TL2 and the sides are kinda flat but I want to bend then up a little bit like i have seen in some of y'alls picks. how did y'all do it? heat it up? hot water? have to repaint it? let me know I am new to this leather helmet stuff. thanks.

Forum Member

No, the leather is not hard to bend or shape. All you have to do is bend it how you want and hold in that position for awhile. It's nothing like the MSA's leather. Thats how I bent the front down. Just hold it for a bit and it stays like the way you shaped it.

Phenix TL-2
    Last edited by HFDCasiano; 03-02-2010 at 06:20 PM.

Forum Member

Is that your phenix helmet or a cairns? I like the black tets. I love my phenix since it's so much lighter than the sam houston. The ratchet system is actually pretty nice too.

Forum Member

That is a TL-2. And like he said, no heat needed. Just play with it and mold it until you get it where you want it.

Where in GA are you at?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member

In Baldwin County right now. I go to school at GCSU and volunteer and work part-time for the county. I am moving back home to work in Atlanta somewhere. Hopefully Dekalb, Gwinnett, etc. Thanks for the info guys.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by georgiaboy88 View Post
    I see that some of y'alls helmets are bent a little different. I just got a TL2 and the sides are kinda flat but I want to bend then up a little bit like i have seen in some of y'alls picks. how did y'all do it? heat it up? hot water? have to repaint it? let me know I am new to this leather helmet stuff. thanks.
    Like they mentioned before, no heat just apply even pressure in the direction you want the bend. Just watch the plastic moulded piece at the bottom of the helmet. It seems like it is part of the inner suspension system. When I was bending mine, I heard cracks, but i think it was just some of the glue that holds this black plastic ring down.

With that being said, anyone ever bend the natural leather version. I spoke with Phenix the other day, and the natural comes with a coating that may crack when you bend it. I ordered two naturals and I cant wait to see what they are like.

Forum Member

Dang, big money. Two leathers !

Forum Member

Hello everyone, I recently got a N5A and love it. I took out the ratchet system and it fits very nice, centered, and low riding. What is up with these Phenix leathers? Are they durable? Comfortable? Has anyone removed the ratchet system? Any damage to them yet?

Thanks.

Forum Member

the tl2's are great lids low ride light weight they are pretty durable the most damage you'll see is some scuffing (but come on you'll get that with any helmet) and for what ever reason it is damaged its backed by a 5 year warranty and backed by a LIFE TIME warranty if ever destroyed in a fire(EXCLUDING TRAINING BURNS!) and no you cant take out the ratchet its there for a reason your not even suppose to take out the one's on the cairns NOTE. (altering your helmet in any way not recommended by the manufacturer's invalidates any warranty or liability on the manufacturers part)

stay safe!

Forum Member

I cant figure out all this ratchet removal business. My helmet does not fit the same with a mask and hood as it does without. Without a ratchet it would fall off my head...
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member

I have always wondered the same myself. I don't know how they use their helmets without the ratchet system in place. With our Reed hoods and my big ***** head I have to open it up all the way just so it will fit, then crank it down to secure it.

The Phenix TL-2 will not loose its paint like the MSA leathers will. The leather is soft and pliable. Rides low, fits well, takes a beating time after time.

No damage to my helmet and it has been threw a few warm fires. If ya get a new helmet make it a Phenix. I'll never buy a MSA leather helmet again.

Forum Member

I have taken the ratchet out of all three of my N5A helmets and it makes them fit a lot better. I guess I am lucky but when the ear flaps are tucked in the helmet fits perfect without a hood/mask on. Then when I pack up I just pull the ear flaps down and it fits perfect with my hood/mask on. No reason to have the ratchet in there with the perfect fit.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by sdfd504 View Post
    I have taken the ratchet out of all three of my N5A helmets and it makes them fit a lot better. I guess I am lucky but when the ear flaps are tucked in the helmet fits perfect without a hood/mask on. Then when I pack up I just pull the ear flaps down and it fits perfect with my hood/mask on. No reason to have the ratchet in there with the perfect fit.
    I've had the same experience with the N5A's. Just have to tuck the ear flaps up and it makes up for the mask and hood.

Thread Information