Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Phenix Leather helmets

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sdfd504 View Post
    I have taken the ratchet out of all three of my N5A helmets and it makes them fit a lot better. I guess I am lucky but when the ear flaps are tucked in the helmet fits perfect without a hood/mask on. Then when I pack up I just pull the ear flaps down and it fits perfect with my hood/mask on. No reason to have the ratchet in there with the perfect fit.
    DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT TAKE OUT THE RATCHET OUT OF YOUR HELMET!!! if you take the ratchet out of your lid or alter it in anyway unless approved by the manufacturer it is no longer nfpa compliant or osha compliant so god forbid you are killed in the line of duty the first people who show up are NIOSH from the federal government If an investigatation of the circumstances finds you have altered any part of your PPE your family can be denied the money issued by the federal government for a line of duty death and if you do not believe me you are more than welcomed to call msa fire phenix or paul conway and they will tell you the same thing i have.
    who wants to see me do a big a$% stunt?!?!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IRISHBAHSTID View Post
    DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT TAKE OUT THE RATCHET OUT OF YOUR HELMET!!! if you take the ratchet out of your lid or alter it in anyway unless approved by the manufacturer it is no longer nfpa compliant or osha compliant so god forbid you are killed in the line of duty the first people who show up are NIOSH from the federal government If an investigatation of the circumstances finds you have altered any part of your PPE your family can be denied the money issued by the federal government for a line of duty death and if you do not believe me you are more than welcomed to call msa fire phenix or paul conway and they will tell you the same thing i have.
    Slow your roll new guy. I know you’re trying to help but relax. I highly doubt they will deny benefits for removal of a helmet ratchet system. If they have, please site your source below.

My N6A fits great without a ratchet and without the crown pad. It brings it down nice and low on your head. As already stated, when you are not masked up tuck your ear flaps inside the helmet. When you’re masking up pull the flaps out out. The earflaps make up the difference between the two.

You can use the same concept of tucking the flaps in on a plastic helmet with ratchet in place. That way you never have to waist the time of tightening or loosening your helmet.

Forum Member

It just doesn't work on my head. I don't know if the reed hood has anything to do with it but if I didn't have the damn ratchet system it would be bobbling all over. I don't use ear flaps on mine. took them off.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HFDCasiano View Post
    It just doesn't work on my head. I don't know if the reed hood has anything to do with it but if I didn't have the damn ratchet system it would be bobbling all over. I don't use ear flaps on mine. took them off.
    If that is the case you need the next size smaller helmet (Medium).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    If that is the case you need the next size smaller helmet (Medium).
    From what I can gather there are not sizes for helmets meant to be used with a ratchet.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    Slow your roll new guy. I know you’re trying to help but relax. I highly doubt they will deny benefits for removal of a helmet ratchet system. If they have, please site your source below.

My N6A fits great without a ratchet and without the crown pad. It brings it down nice and low on your head. As already stated, when you are not masked up tuck your ear flaps inside the helmet. When you’re masking up pull the flaps out out. The earflaps make up the difference between the two.

You can use the same concept of tucking the flaps in on a plastic helmet with ratchet in place. That way you never have to waist the time of tightening or loosening your helmet.
    sorry man i didn't mean to come off like i was jumping down anyone's throat but where i got my info on that i called phenix fire helmets and talked to them about that and i called MSAfire and talked them about that they both said the same thing and also if you go to phenixfirehelmets.com they have stuff posted on this subject under the construction/components FAQ section

Forum Member

True they say all that but it is no worse then me and half the other brothers on here that use original 5A helmets with just the straps for the suspension and no impact cap. You will never change our minds and there is no reason to jump down our throats about it. We all know what we are doing when we fix up the helmets and that is why we all have different opinions.

Forum Member

Guys go easy, this is risk management rhetoric at work. We are all force fed this stuff and told if we change or alter from any manufacturer the product the way it was sold,that our families may be denied compensation if they so choose to do so(any one have decals on their helmets,or dont use the face shield or goggles with the flip downs).I appreciate this brother looking out for us, and you are right sdfd504 we do know what we are doing when we take that risk. The impact cap and suspension may protect our skulls from being split open, but it surely wont help our spines from being compressed. We opt for leather due to heritage and tradition, not cuttimg edge technology. Leather forever Brothers.

Forum Member

Has any body seen any serious fire conditions while wearing these Phenix leathers. I am interested to see how they hold up and take the job. The Cairns seem to be built a little more heavy duty, Just curious. Post some pics brothers.

Forum Member

Fireman4949 has seen a ton of fire with his lid.

Mine has seen a fair amount of it and I've worn it in plenty of live burns and flashover trailers and its no worse for the wear. Its held up extremely well.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Sounds good, is the leather staying soft or is it turning brittle. RFRDexplorer can you post some pics i am interested to see how it ages with wear.

Forum Member

Wore mine for about a year before Houston banned anything not issued to us by them. Made some good fires, wore it a couple of times for live burns and it has taken some heat very well. Luckily I can still wear it at my side job.

After every fire I have made with this helmet, I wash all the crap of and then wipe it down clean. You will get a few more years if you take care of it right. The leather stays soft and flexible and has yet to get hard or crack.

src="http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h205/firefighter123_2006/IMG_0335.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
    Last edited by HFDCasiano; 03-19-2010 at 11:41 AM.

Forum Member

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    From what I can gather there are not sizes for helmets meant to be used with a ratchet.
    Phenix offers one size only in Leathers. But on Cairns Leather Helmets, such as the N5A and N6A, they are offered in two sizes, Medium and Large. It's the same suspension on both size helmets, the size difference is the actual shell.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kiltedfool View Post
    Sounds good, is the leather staying soft or is it turning brittle. RFRDexplorer can you post some pics i am interested to see how it ages with wear.
    My leather is still staying soft. I will probably be heading up to the station later today, I'll try and remember to snag some pics and upload today or tomorrow.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    Phenix offers one size only in Leathers. But on Cairns Leather Helmets, such as the N5A and N6A, they are offered in two sizes, Medium and Large. It's the same suspension on both size helmets, the size difference is the actual shell.
    The Phenix ratchet covers the sizing of both of the Cairns sizes.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

I just ordered two Natural Leather Phenix's for some co-workers. One of them has the boston flat bend. I can post pics if anyone is interested.

Forum Member

KFD I would like to see pictures never heard of the boston flat bend before.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KFD94 View Post
    I just ordered two Natural Leather Phenix's for some co-workers. One of them has the boston flat bend. I can post pics if anyone is interested.
    Please do..

Forum Member

There are a few photos up on Facebook of the Natural color with the Boston Bend. They're under Phenix Helmet's Facebook page. Here's the link:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...d=388439593360

Forum Member

Does anyone know how to make the helmets ratchet bigger? I have a rather large melon and the band fits rather too tightly with a mask on.
    DONK

All that I have posted are only my opinions and absolutely have nothing to do with my department and any other affiliations.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by donk7267 View Post
    Does anyone know how to make the helmets ratchet bigger? I have a rather large melon and the band fits rather too tightly with a mask on.
    Do you have a TL2 or some other brand helmet? If you have the TL2, you may want to try the nape strap set up instead. The conversion is about $20 or less and will eliminate the ratchet and still make the helmet adjustable. I will check to see the sizing of the nape strap versus the ratchet and post more information shortly.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by donk7267 View Post
    I have a little more information. The ratchet can be made into a XL size. I do not have all the details, but this can be done in the field or at the shop. If you need more information let me know.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ATFDFF View Post
    There are a few photos up on Facebook of the Natural color with the Boston Bend. They're under Phenix Helmet's Facebook page. Here's the link:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...d=388439593360
    Yeah I am hoping that is the one I ordered. Looks sweet. I ordered this for a buddy of mine. Now I want a natural one too.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is a pic of my helmet. I have had it over a year now. it has been in a few fires but not a lot of heat.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information