Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 35 FirstFirst ... 61314151617181926 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Phenix Leather helmets

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Is someone able to post a TL2 next to a new Cairns for sizing comparison. I hate the new tall domes of the Cairns, but I'm not sure I can find a Phenix to put my hands on locally?

As for price, this looks like the best I can find: http://www.emergencyresponderproducts.com/trlefihe.html

Order anyway you want from the looks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jbrescue View Post
    Very deceiving how they show their pricing. By the time you add all the options back in, you are right back to where just about everyone else sells them for. I can also tell you that they have left off the front. So, expect to add another $40 at least. I can do much better than they show for sure.
    I appreciate it, and I'm thinking of making a purchase right off, but I can only add $1 to their price as I want a plain jane: no rachet, no front (hand painted custom order), really only want the postman plus clip as an add-on and don't even want the trapaziods. Send me a PM so I can contact you about an order. Thanks.

CFD14Truck:I take it the seasoned one on the left is the Phenix? In the pics they look very similar with the exception of the scrollwork on the brim.

I appreciate it, and I'm thinking of making a purchase right off, but I can only add $1 to their price as I want a plain jane: no rachet, no front (hand painted custom order), really only want the postman plus clip as an add-on and don't even want the trapaziods. Send me a PM so I can contact you about an order. Thanks.
    Thats how I ordered mine from Handtub Junction.
    I think I paid 375, with shipping.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Do these helmets tend to get any cheaper at tradeshows and expos?
    32, 343....neVer forgeT

Forum Member

CFD14Truck:I take it the seasoned one on the left is the Phenix? In the pics they look very similar with the exception of the scrollwork on the brim.
    Yes the one on the left is the Phenix. Its about eight years old. To tell you the gods honest truth... I like the New Yorker better so far. After taking off the ratchet and removing the crown pad the helmet fits like a glove. I cant tell any weight difference. The brim on the Phenix is really wide in the back. As you can see the the front brim on the Phenix is bent up and I cant get it to bend back. The interior parts have started falling apart but I guess after eight hard years I can understand it. Both helmets are very good. I cant really complain about the Phenix but so far I like the Cairns better.

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    I've always seen

white letters on black for Engine FF
    black letters on white for Engine boss

white letters on red for Truck FF
    red letters on white for Truck Boss

while there is no national standard on colors, the white background seems to be an easy way to denote an officer.
    Yes. Atleast for Metro Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by CFD14Truck View Post
    Yes the one on the left is the Phenix. Its about eight years old. To tell you the gods honest truth... I like the New Yorker better so far. After taking off the ratchet and removing the crown pad the helmet fits like a glove. I cant tell any weight difference. The brim on the Phenix is really wide in the back. As you can see the the front brim on the Phenix is bent up and I cant get it to bend back. The interior parts have started falling apart but I guess after eight hard years I can understand it. Both helmets are very good. I cant really complain about the Phenix but so far I like the Cairns better.
    That was one of my main complaints was the inside was cheap and falls apart. Awhile back they had a Phenix rep on here that used to troll around. When asked by him on a thread ( I think maybe this) what I did not like about the helmet, I told him about the inside falling apart after 2 years. Not a big help. So I called. They were rude on the phone and just as helpful. Cairns fixed my brothers helmet for free after 6 years. Say what you want, but atleast Cairns knows they sell crap and want to help.

Merry Christmas to me..... My Phenix lid showed up today. I couldn't be happier with the helmet, the way it fits on my head is far superior to my old departments 1044's and also much better than a buddy's MSA NY'er. The ratchet system doesn't seem as bulky as MSA's, but doesn't seem flimsy by any means. Super quality so far, haven't seen 1 flaw.

I will say that dealing with Phenix (bought directly) especially Melisa M. has been a dream. I've done hundreds of online/mail order transactions over the years, this was by far the best. Their customer service was flawless, and they got my helmet to me in less than 3 weeks

I bought the NFPA compliant version, with goggles, and removeable ear flaps.. No wild bends either.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thumbs up

Nice lid, hope it serves you well.

MAP
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by randomhero135 View Post
    Merry Christmas to me..... My Phenix lid showed up today. I couldn't be happier with the helmet, the way it fits on my head is far superior to my old departments 1044's and also much better than a buddy's MSA NY'er. The ratchet system doesn't seem as bulky as MSA's, but doesn't seem flimsy by any means. Super quality so far, haven't seen 1 flaw.

I will say that dealing with Phenix (bought directly) especially Melisa M. has been a dream. I've done hundreds of online/mail order transactions over the years, this was by far the best. Their customer service was flawless, and they got my helmet to me in less than 3 weeks

I bought the NFPA compliant version, with goggles, and removeable ear flaps.. No wild bends either.
    Nice lid! I see you got the new Streamlight. What do you think about it so far?

I really like it... I've used it, and the billet under-brim mount with an led light. The streamlight fits better on this helmet than my 660c w/visor. It's very bright, compact and lightweight... I think the only downside is their $130, but our chief got them for us for Christmas..... Pretty good gift if you ask me!!!

To bring this back up to the top...

I am about to order my new Phenix within the next few days. So far, cheapest I have found is right at $405 for the helmet setup the way I want it, shield and shipping from Emergency Responder Products. I have also emailed the folks and HTJ to see what they can do. I saw where some dealers chimed in on this thread. Can any of you beat that price? If so, PM me.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Well, I ended up ordering my Phenix from Jason with JB Rescue. So far a great transaction. I will say he beat all other prices I found BY FAR. If you are interested in a Phenix give him a shout.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

JB and HandTub both offered me the same price. I was waiting to find out if i would be allowed to use it. Handtub has them in stock right now. He was very helpful and emailed me to let me know they were in.

In the meantime, i saw one at a local shop in Boston and i was not impressed at all. The interior looks and feels very cheap. It may hold up just fine, all i am saying is it LOOKS very flimsy. Almost like a toy. I know looks don't matter, i am just saying.

The other thing was how soft the shell was. The rear brim is felexible. You can press on the dome and feel the impact cap. And the leather was all rippled where it was bent. It has that look like it was bent back and forth too may times. But the helmet was brand new. For those of you who are used to Cairns leather helmets and how hard they are, this will be a surprise. I understand the impact cap is what offers the main protection, but i prefer my helmet to be solid.

Lastly, the weight. Yes, it's lighter then my N6A, but i was suprised at how it's not that much lighter. Ultimatley i am glad i saw it in person before i ordered one. I would have been very upset had i got it and saw what i saw at the shop.

But if they work for you, enjoy!

Interesting...for the configuration I wanted JB was almost $100 cheaper.

I too have seen and held one in person. I like the fact that the leather is so pliable. It gives it a different feel.

I had ZERO interest in buying a new Cairns, as the qaulity has onviously gone down recently and the prices are rediculous. Just wanted to try something different.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member

Let me shed some light on the differences in the Cairns and Phenix designs. I have personally worn a N6A for over 12 years. I am now a convert by far. Obvious the cost is a huge plus. The reason the Phenix is pliable is for pure physics. If something falls on the helmet, the helmet will deflect and absorb some of the impact energy. The Cairns is soaked in a resin to make it as hard as a plastic helmet, the Phenix is not. I have had to repair cracks in my brim of the N6A several times over the years due to the stiffness of the helmet. It is still a great helmet and served me well. The TL2 is about 9-10 ounces lighter than the N6A. The standard features that come witht he TL2 are what most would upgrade on the N6A adding even more cost. The TL2 ratchet cover more diameter than the N6A medium and large combined, thus no size choices. The impact cap of the TL2 is actually an entire helmet by itself. This is the same helmet that Phenix offers as a USAR helmet. It is not just an interior bump cap. The last bunch of N6A's that I have seen have had some serious paint issues, like completely falling off. The TL2 is dyed leather. The list goes on and on.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

7 years and the interior of the Phenix TL2 falling apart isn't good to hear. I have guys I work with that have had the same cairns their whole career. It sounds like most are going through two though. Regardless none of that is due to the suspension system falling apart. It has to do with cracks and wire showing which is eventually can only be repaired so much and is expected to a certain extent. Also why would the above TL2 bend up in the front brim and then NOT be able to reform? I thought that was a huge perk of the TL2 is that it could be reformed over and over and changed? Is it because the leather dried out too much it is no longer pliable? Very interesting. Besides cracking paint the cairns is a great helmet. Remove the goggles, remove the crown pad, remove the ratchet, and you have a low stance comfortable helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    7 years and the interior of the Phenix TL2 falling apart isn't good to hear. I have guys I work with that have had the same cairns their whole career. It sounds like most are going through two though.
    I know plenty of guys in the same boat. The difference is that those career long Cairns helmets were pre-MSA versions. No one yet has any long term expirience with an MSA Cairns, and from what I see coming out of the box brand new, I just dont see them holding up very well. Not to mention I could almost buy 2 TL2s for one Sam Houston the way I wanted it setup.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Question

What year did MSA buy Cairns?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    What year did MSA buy Cairns?
    It was sometime in 2000.

Thread Information