Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Phenix Leather helmets

MembersZone Subscriber

All i see is just a bunch of insulation!

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry about the insulation. here are a few better pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images    

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ISUHawkeye View Post
    Sorry about the insulation. here are a few better pictures
    Cool dude, nice lid!

Forum Member

Default helmet/bend?

Im just curious, does anyone the brand of helmet and type of bend that Jerry Reilly wears on Rescue Me? Thanx

Forum Member

Finally got mine into some good fire,,,even if it was a training burn I just had to get the new shine knocked off of it.

Also got the leather headband from my deluxe 1044 installed into the Phenix. Fits so much better now.

Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Looks great GT. The leather liner is awesome. A couple of buddies just got their Natural Leather TL2. They look awesome. I want one now. One of them ordered a "HALF BEND" which just means that the bend is not as severe as the factory bend. It looks like the bend on the back of a Morning Pride BEN II helmet.

Forum Member

There is a guy on ebay that posted TL2 helmets for $300.00, and you can choose the paint colour you want. Anyone have experience with this? not sure if they are factory seconds or what the story is. claims they are NFPA if you have goggles.

Forum Member

Exclamation ebay phenix helmet

I checked that out also.The seller has a few,even a natural finish. Doesn't come with ear flaps,leather front or goggles. I don't believe the phenix leathers are painted like the Cairns,they are dyed,i think that is why the paint doesn't chip and crack. So how this seller is claiming he can paint them any color(even pink,eew)I don't know. I would suggest paying the extra from a reputable dealer,that way if it isn't legit ,the customer service will be there in the end.Just my opinion.I know times are tough and its nice to find a deal, but no one wants to see a brother wanting to buy into tradition screwed over. PTB, FTM,KTF,EGH

Forum Member

I also checked the Ebay ads. I have no idea how this guy is doing any of this. These are selling way below dealer pricing. There does not appear to be any ear flaps, no eye protection and definitely no front. He even states he can take a helmet back to natural in a week if you are interested. I would be very careful with this. If you need a NFPA helmet, stay away for sure. These helmets will not have the decals that your department may require for that at all. I am looking further into this with Phenix.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

I will only now deal with Phenix directly. I love the customer service. This guy claims that they are NFPA if you have goggles, but your right about the chin strap and earflaps. I dont believe the phenixs are dyed the colour. They are painted at least mine is. And I have spoken with phenix about re-painting helmets which is a service they provide for around 55.00 i believe. They may be dyed in some form but the final result is painted but not like the cairns. I would love to get a natural leather to hang in my FIRE ROOM.

Forum Member

JB - I would love to know what phenix says about these sales.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KFD94 View Post
    I will only now deal with Phenix directly. I love the customer service. This guy claims that they are NFPA if you have goggles, but your right about the chin strap and earflaps. I dont believe the phenixs are dyed the colour. They are painted at least mine is. And I have spoken with phenix about re-painting helmets which is a service they provide for around 55.00 i believe. They may be dyed in some form but the final result is painted but not like the cairns. I would love to get a natural leather to hang in my FIRE ROOM.
    The helmets are dyed from the factory for sure. I can guarantee that much. Repaints are $52.50 MSRP plus shipping both ways. If you need it done, let me know, I can help with the price. I can tell you as a long time Cairns owner/user, if I would have known about these helmets 14 years ago, I would have always worn them. They are so much lighter and nicely appointed. They are selling themselves to all my customers. I guess the price helps too.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Look at his feedback. I think that explains it all except why certain dealers get jealous with lower prices.

Forum Member

This ebay guy is likley not a dealer and since he is painting the helmets himself, my guess is there will be no sticker on the helmet with the NFPA cert on it.

I would steer clear of buying anything "new" from someone who is not a dealer. Because there will be no warranty. And you cannot get an NFPA cert on a helmet unless it comes FROM THE FACTORY with NFPA approved eye protection (Shield or Goggles). So this guy is clearly misinformed or is misinforming unsuspecting buyers.

Just like you cannot buying a Carins N6A with no eye protection and then buying goggles will NOT get you an NFPA approved helmet, either will buying a TL2 and then adding your own goggles.

Forum Member

Exclamation Ebay phenix helmets

OK, I did a little more research, and they are painted with a company called Angelus paint products. It is an acrylic paint but it soaks deep into the leather so it has that dyed appearance. That is wy the helmet can flex and the paint not chip or crack like the cairns. I think the listing has ended, but I think once you do all the necessary steps to make it conform to nfpa standards for your Dept, you have just payed the same *** you would from a dealer. Its a tribute to the Brotherhood that we all have to inform other brothers about this "misinformation". I bet if there is a problem after the payment has cleared he wont be found.

Forum Member

Talking Ebay phenix helmet.

OK bidding ended for the helmet at $355+$25 shipping. Dave at Hand tub Junction was pretty close to that with sewn in ear flaps, post mans slide with quick release and ess goggles,(no shield included in this price) Which will give you that little damn sticker. Hey Mass fire guy,I am a huge Bo sox fan Brother, but I think you are still a little sour that you are one of the only few who Just doesn't like this helmet. There used to be a family owned business in Clifton NJ that made an incredible helmet, great pride in their product and great customer service and were all hand made like the phenix,but they got bought out by a big greedy corporation that just wants to churn out overpriced ,lower quality replicas of a once fine helmet and hide behind the name. Oh by the way I have a 100% positive feedback rating too on EBay,I have sold 3 things, so doesn't go for anything.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kiltedfool View Post
    OK bidding ended for the helmet at $355+$25 shipping. Dave at Hand tub Junction was pretty close to that with sewn in ear flaps, post mans slide with quick release and ess goggles,(no shield included in this price) Which will give you that little damn sticker. Hey Mass fire guy,I am a huge Bo sox fan Brother, but I think you are still a little sour that you are one of the only few who Just doesn't like this helmet. There used to be a family owned business in Clifton NJ that made an incredible helmet, great pride in their product and great customer service and were all hand made like the phenix,but they got bought out by a big greedy corporation that just wants to churn out overpriced ,lower quality replicas of a once fine helmet and hide behind the name. Oh by the way I have a 100% positive feedback rating too on EBay,I have sold 3 things, so doesn't go for anything.
    Jason did even better than that on mine. PM him if you are interested.

I had mine on instructing yesterday at Firefighter Weekend at the Georgia Fire Academy and it got a lot of compliments. 4 or 5 guys came up and tried it on, amazed at how much lighter and more comfortable it was that the Cairns they were wearing.

In my opinion, as soo as Phenix gets on the leather headband bandwagon from the factory, they will have a far superior product than anything else on the market.

I like this one so much I will probably end up buying a second one for my volunteer department.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Almost forgot...taking votes on whether or not to change the insert piece on the shield to black with white numbers or leave it like it is. Thoughts?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Almost forgot...taking votes on whether or not to change the insert piece on the shield to black with white numbers or leave it like it is. Thoughts?
    I think it looks sharp as is!
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

I need to stop looking at this thread. I keep trying to talk myself out of buying a TL-2, but I think I might just bite the bullet and order one.
    Andy

IACOJ

Forum Member

Andy you mind me asking why you keep talking yourself out of it? if you've got the money buy one I liked mine I bought for the vollie department so much I got another one to use at work.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter2230 View Post
    Andy you mind me asking why you keep talking yourself out of it? if you've got the money buy one I liked mine I bought for the vollie department so much I got another one to use at work.
    Seriously. Not exactly a major life decision.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member

ETFD if you are from near me, and I keep hearing about you. email or call me and we can talk about the helmets. If not, call or email me anyhow...lol jason@jbrescue.com.

Also the answer I got from Phenix about the Evay situation....
    They do not sell them on Ebay themselves. If someone wants to sell on Ebay, they have no control over them. And the most obvious part, if it seems to good to be true, it probably it. Plus, you have all answered the questions about the NFPA issue, so make your own decisions and if you need help, let me know.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Wow, 22 pages all on the TL2. I read em all too, got to say its good to see so many other people love their Tl2's as much as I love mine. I know a lot of people are very heart set on sticking with their Cairns helmets, which I've tried and never really enjoyed (Heavy and stiff as heck) Which is fine, to each his/her own I suppose.

But my TL2 is great, worlds better than my old Bullard UST6 I was issued. I can see now why the chief opted to start issuing the TL2's instead. I'll be sure to post up some pictures of my TL2 once my camera stops being retarded.

Forum Member

How big of a department are you with where you guys are issued leathers?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Thread Information